Fake Poster....

wilko8

It's Monday morning and I'm actively avoiding real work so I'll bite:

The initial discussion was about Greta, specifically her possible appearance at Glastonbury, which given the history of the festival is a perfectly reasonable shout. You waded in with an ascertion that she's been used by XR and attached a link to an article by one of their founders to back up your 'argument'. You then chastised a poster for downvoting you because you presumed they hadn't read the article. Firstly, the article has nothing to do with Greta so I'm not sure what you think the relevance is to the discussion on her appearance at Glastonbury. Secondly you use it to apparently justify your belief in the well-worn, right wing, anti-climate catastrophe trope that she's being exploited by her parents and doesn't actually believe what's she's currently spending her youth campaigning against. 

I happen to live in Sweden which, as I'm sure you'll be aware given you interest in her, is where Greta is from. Far from her distress at the current climate emergency unfolding before our eyes being limited to her and exploited by her 'anti capitalist' parents it is rather, unfortunately, becoming symptomatic of a wider issue for school children of her age group. There's been stories on TV over here of kids experiencing stress and anxiety due to climate change. This is the reality for these kids who are growing up with more knowledge and anger about the situation than any generation that's come before them. 

This, absolutely bollocks, trope about her being exploited is nothing but a way for older, irresponsible pricks like us to pretend what she's saying isn't completely true and isn't our fault. She's an articulate, intelligent 16 year old who knows more about this subject than most of us. She'd be a fantastic guest for the festival in 2020.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles
  • Upvote 29

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

The initial discussion was about Greta, specifically her possible appearance at Glastonbury, which given the history of the festival is a perfectly reasonable shout. You waded in with an ascertion that she's been used by XR and attached a link to an article by one of their founders to back up your 'argument'. You then chastised a poster for downvoting you because you presumed they hadn't read the article. Firstly, the article has nothing to do with Greta so I'm not sure what you think the relevance is to the discussion on her appearance at Glastonbury. Secondly you use it to apparently justify your belief in the well-worn, right wing, anti-climate catastrophe trope that she's being exploited by her parents and doesn't actually believe what's she's currently spending her youth campaigning against. 

I happen to live in Sweden which, as I'm sure you'll be aware given you interest in her, is where Greta is from. Far from her distress at the current climate emergency unfolding before our eyes being limited to her and exploited by her 'anti capitalist' parents it is rather, unfortunately, becoming symptomatic of a wider issue for school children of her age group. There's been stories on TV over here of kids experiencing stress and anxiety due to climate change. This is the reality for these kids who are growing up with more knowledge and anger about the situation than any generation that's come before them. 

This, absolutely bollocks, trope about her being exploited is nothing but a way for older, irresponsible pricks like us to pretend what she's saying isn't completely true and isn't our fault. She's an articulate, intelligent 16 year old who knows more about this subject that most of us. She'd be a fantastic guest for the festival in 2020.

Bollocks. You’re just an actor hired by the FAKE NEWS MEDIA. You don’t really live in Sweden, you’re an actor!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Bollocks. You’re just an actor hired by the FAKE NEWS MEDIA. You don’t really live in Sweden, you’re an actor!!!!

It's true, his own profile bio says he has an interest in bringing down empires. Hiding in plain sight.

9 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

This, absolutely bollocks, trope about her being exploited is nothing but a way for older, irresponsible pricks like us to pretend what she's saying isn't completely true and isn't our fault. She's an articulate, intelligent 16 year old who knows more about this subject than most of us. She'd be a fantastic guest for the festival in 2020.

Perfect. Too early for me to post a response and thought Twitter served the purpose for frothing men who have a problem with Greta. 

4 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

I fear greatly for the future of our planet

It makes me laugh when people say things like this.

The planet will 100% be absolutely fucking fine. It’s us puny humans that are going to die. The planet will recover and will be a better place without us. 

We’ve literally set our house on fire, now we’re sitting on the sofa eating crisps hoping someone else is gonna ring the fire brigade. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Quite, people not keen on the truth it would seem and most sadly, don’t even have the curiosity to challenge or verify their opinions

Seriously, what?

The truth is that we've fucked up the planet we live on and people would prefer to focus on discrediting the girl rather than listen to her message.

Anyway, Greta at Glastonbury?  I doubt it.  She certainly won't fly over just to address us lot who are engaging in unnecessary consumerism and trashing the gaff for our own pleasure.

Maybe she'll feature on the video messaging between acts.

17 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Andrew Neil the great climate change champion. 

9 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Have you ever seen him go easy on anyone his entire career? Lame and inaccurate attempt to mischaracterise him. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Neil#Climate_change

21 minutes ago, stuie said:

Seriously, what?

The truth is that we've fucked up the planet we live on and people would prefer to focus on discrediting the girl rather than listen to her message.

Anyway, Greta at Glastonbury?  I doubt it.  She certainly won't fly over just to address us lot who are engaging in unnecessary consumerism and trashing the gaff for our own pleasure.

Maybe she'll feature on the video messaging between acts.

Good call having her on the video messages, hope they do get her on and hope I don’t hear too much criticism from the crowd around me if I do catch it. Why anyone would want to direct abuse at someone trying to do the planet good is mind boggling.

It is worth remembering that XR is not a regimented organization with 100% unified beliefs, but rather a conglomeration of different groups who have come together for a common cause, and within that there are a variety of beliefs.

When one representative of the group makes a claim that can be discredited, we should be cautious about discrediting the whole movement.

And to say that the movement is not about climate change is preposterous, no matter what one of the founders might claim. I have read the XR handbook and it most certainly is about climate change, but it also certainly is not JUST about climate change.

In short, the movement is capable of holding more than one viewpoint, and confusingly, some of these viewpoints may well be completely opposed.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Along with a large chunk of the animal kingdom we take down with us

This is 100% correct. The rock we are on, will be fine. But human activity has already caused species loss that is considered an extinction level event. Further loss is inevitable but we have an opportunity to mitigate it right now by slowing climate change.

For all those who claim that climate change is inevitable anyway (ie the ice age etc...), the issue today is not the fact of climate change, but rather the rate it is happening. Simply, it is changing much too fast for life to adapt and evolve to deal with it, and that is why we have a crisis.

Having read that blog, the writer infers that climate change and the exploitation of the earth's resources and fuel on the scale we are witnessing currently, are a symptom of uncontrolled greed and the mindset that the earth and it's contents are ours to do with what we wish. It is this that XR wants to put a halt to and in doing so, the symptoms of climate change and inequality across the globe may begin to balance out.

Now can we get back to discussing the fake lineup poster, please? I would like to see what's on in Glade and Arcadia please!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benja100 said:

And the claims that Greta and XR make are actually very far from universally accepted scientific fact. See the recent BBC Andrew Neil interview where the XR person accepted this and that they were greatly exaggerating the current forecasts.

This is, at best, an obfuscating statement. It would be correct to say that the exact scale and exact ramifications of the problem remains up for debate. But no credible scientist denies that there is a problem or that it's serious.

57 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

You have no idea my background or experience in the area. Does she look rational to you? 

So you judge a someone who has a condition that often causes them to communicate emotions in different ways to the 'norm' by the way they communicate their emotions?  it would seem you dont have much background or experience in this area.