2020 Next Announcement Thread!

Matt42

Just now, Doug85 said:

I'd still be happy with this, if they were to tell us when/which stage. How often do subs get their own announcement though? I know other stages can announce their headliners but a Pyramid sub? 

Is that the general consensus then that they'll sub McCartney? Was really hoping that wouldn't be the case 

Just now, Gingerfish79 said:

Is there a possibility that Saturday Pyramid could be Crowded House, Aerosmith, NGHFB, McCartney? 

Don’t see why not! It’s all a bit dad rock, but guess that would be fitting for a bill topped by McCartney. Maybe they’ll have something a bit different between Aerosmith and Crowded House to break things up.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm convinced Aerosmith won't be a sub but will instead get the same time as the Legend slot but on the Saturday. Announce it as something special, longer than usual set for that time, bigger crowd and Steve's your uncle.

That's what I'm thinking.

19 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Is there a possibility that Saturday Pyramid could be Crowded House, Aerosmith, NGHFB, McCartney? 

I have a feeling Crowded House will be on Friday, just to split it up a little, they normally don't do strings of bands like that on any of the stages. 

13 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

That's what I'm thinking.

I have a feeling Crowded House will be on Friday, just to split it up a little, they normally don't do strings of bands like that on any of the stages. 

It is unusual but the post from their Management Company specifically said Saturday. I agree with @FloorFiller that they may put something different between ver House and ver ‘Smith to break it up a bit

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm convinced Aerosmith won't be a sub but will instead get the same time as the Legend slot but on the Saturday. Announce it as something special, longer than usual set for that time, bigger crowd and Steve's your uncle.

Yep, thinking the same thing. If they're playing 3rd down on the Pyramid, why not make a big fuss about it? That might have also been part of the deal of 'Smith playing - get special billing and an announcement etc.

Just now, moams said:

Could Aerosmith also be billed as a legends slot and have more than one this year or not possible?

Anything is possible. Personally I don't think they will bill it explicitly as a second "legends slot", but it might end up being that in all but name. 

2 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

a couple of points;-

1 . Emily did say " the other stage would be pyramid level acts this year ( so that's 3 more headline slots ) 

2. i did hear a whisper of the possibility of the main stages starting Thursday afternoon , just for this year as its the 50th !!

This won't happen. 

Third down pyramid on sat was technically a legends slot last year with Janet.

I wonder if Aerosmith were a back up for Diana if she said no? Just baseless speculation. Maybe Janet Jackson a backup for Kylie?

rope two legend slot sort of acts in one year just in case one doesn’t work out.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I wonder if Aerosmith were a back up for Diana if she said no? Just baseless speculation. Maybe Janet Jackson a backup for Kylie?

rope two legend slot sort of acts in one year just in case one doesn’t work out.

Apart from the fact I dont think there would have been any chance whatsoever of kylie pulling out once asked .... you can see by the emotion  of  her performance ... :) 

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think you're massively underestimating Aerosmith. No chance they were a back-up, they're a mammoth booking. Others are too by talking about Aerosmith as a sub. There's no way they're doing anything except a special guest slot with an extended set length. Doesn't need a fancy name because it's a global juggernaut of a band playing in the afternoon but will get one anyway, formally or informally. They're not gonna book a band more famous than many headliners (including one playing this festival - yes, less relevant currently obviously) and have them simply as a back-up to the legend (who I'd bet they'll get a way bigger crowd than btw) or playing the same slot in terms of stature as the likes of the likes of xx, The National and Vampire Weekend. 

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

That sounds very likely.

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

The main stages are only permitted to operate Fri, Sat, Sun.

Also from the licence:

Yep, and even if the licence didn't specifically state which stages can open when, there's also the noise limits (as measured at various off-site locations including Pilton Village) which are pretty severe on Wednesday and Thursday - even running the Pyramid at half power would massively breach them.

So no chance of a Thursday set happening this or any year unless the council (and therefore, the locals) agree to it after a licence amendment is put in. Which will never happen.