2020 Next Announcement Thread!

Matt42

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

My unqualified opinion is that they're announcing slightly earlier than they had planned to, because WHO declared a pandemic, triggering the government into the next phase which will put social distancing and potential mass gathering cancellations back in the news, just a little too close to balance payment week for comfort.

So they're jumping the gun to get the message out that they intend to hold it, pending any government decision not to, before the headlines turn too dire and potentially put ticket sales in doubt (which seems extraordinary, but isn't beyond the realms of possibility).

I'd be surprised if any poster didn't come attached to a statement assuring people of all the usual stuff.

You may well be right, I’m just guessing myself. It may also be that I’m very naive, but I just can’t see how this wouldn’t a coordinated response... I’ve no basis for this but I would assume not just Glastonbury, but people in charge of all events scheduled would’ve been on at the government for a bit of guidance. Glastonbury would probably be the least affected by this, but there must be events that could be completely crippled either way, do they plough on? Do they cut their losses?

Again I might be very naive in my thinking, but I find it hard to imagine the government would just completely ignore any such enquires. My completely unqualified opinion is that they have plan which was always going to happen when the case numbers hit a certain level, that will be implemented for a certain period of time all based on their in depth modelling. I think behind the scenes events like Glastonbury will have been involved, some will have been told they won’t be going ahead and some will be told they are fine.

I just can’t see Glastonbury dropping the poster on the same day the Government switch to the delay stage without some prior consultation. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton