2020 Next Announcement Thread!

Matt42

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Is anyone surprised that Kenny isn’t sparking the flames for BST? I just don’t think he has quite the cultural impact or status in the UK. I’m already cringing at the inevitable backlash if he’s announced. 

I was just thinking the exact same.  I know he is liked by a lot of people on here, but in general I just don't see him being that popular.

8 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I was just thinking the exact same.  I know he is liked by a lot of people on here, but in general I just don't see him being that popular.

Of the people I’ve spoken to everyone seems to think he’s a pretty weak headliner. I think he’s definitely the weakest of the three - though that’s not to say I don’t think he’s worthy of headlining - but I think there’ll be a pretty big backlash from the general public when he’s announced.

50 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Is anyone surprised that Kenny isn’t sparking the flames for BST? I just don’t think he has quite the cultural impact or status in the UK. I’m already cringing at the inevitable backlash if he’s announced. 

I think its more that a lot of BST/APE shows are very slow sellers unless its a massive act (taylor swift). I think its one of those, the people who wanted to see him last year, saw him. I'm sure once a new album is announced more will go. 

41 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I agree.   I'm not into hip hop so I don't have a view on him being a worthy headliner or not but the speed that the BST tickets are (not) selling makes me wonder if he does have that pyramid field packing popularity.

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I think its more that a lot of BST/APE shows are very slow sellers unless its a massive act (taylor swift). I think its one of those, the people who wanted to see him last year, saw him. I'm sure once a new album is announced more will go. 

Is that not the point?  Taylor and Macca are absolutely massive acts befitting the 50th Anniversary.  Kendrick just isn't in that league at all so is going to disappoint a lot of people I reckon.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Is that not the point?  Taylor and Macca are absolutely massive acts befitting the 50th Anniversary.  Kendrick just isn't in that league at all so is going to disappoint a lot of people I reckon.

Was more talking about his BST set and ticket sales for that because Taylors is selling very well from what I remember. 

I mean, if you saw the backlash on twitter from the Macca and Taylor announcements, Kendrick isn't going to be any better. 

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Was more talking about his BST set and ticket sales for that because Taylors is selling very well from what I remember. 

The point is, should it have been 3 acts that would absolutely be able to sell out BST (quickly) for the 50th?

Kendrick has a cool factor though, more so than Macca and Taylor I think. Loads of people will react "eh? Who?" and he might get the brunt of it from people who realise he's the last headliner and rules out the chance of RHCP, but I think there will be a lot of strong positive reactions.

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I mean, if you saw the backlash on twitter from the Macca and Taylor announcements, Kendrick isn't going to be any better. 

Lets face it - there will always be a backlash whoever is announced, but no-one can dispute that Macca and Taylor are "Big" bookings.  I'm not that keen on Macca myself, but completely get that he is a massive booking and am all for it.  Kendrick on the other hand - I just don't get it and feel it is a rather underwhelming booking

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That would rules out home run acts like Fleetwood Mac but would rule in curate's egg choices like Pearl Jam.

I'd have thought FM would sell out BST quicker to be honest.

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Shouldn't matter. They're world wide acts, critically calcimined, platinum albums world wide, huge singles, a Beatle. 

Not doubting any of their credentials to headline the 50th - they are all worthy and without a doubt huge stars.  My point was only that Taylor sold out BST quickly, Macca would sell it out in minutes and Kendrick has not sold out. 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Not doubting any of their credentials to headline the 50th - they are all worthy and without a doubt huge stars.  My point was only that Taylor sold out BST quickly, Macca would sell it out in minutes and Kendrick has not sold out. 

Totally, and I said that above and I said he'll probably shift more tickets when his next album comes out. Thats all. Now we're into the 'well he hasn't sold out bst so is he a headliner?' talk. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Taylor sold it out last time, but only after a few months. It's not sold out this time though. At least, not yet.

Macca's an arena act in this country. His last stadium shows were a decade back and he didn't pack out the venues. They ended up giving away tickets to Hampden Park.

Aye, only after I had paid for ours!  I can see the other stage headliner being busy when Kendrick is on, but it’s a festival of contemporary music and arts, and Kendrick is contemporary. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Taylor sold it out last time, but only after a few months. It's not sold out this time though. At least, not yet.

Macca's an arena act in this country. His last stadium shows were a decade back and he didn't pack out the venues. They ended up giving away tickets to Hampden Park.

nah you dont get it, they've gotta sell out BST in minutes or they're not ready to headline Glastonbury.