2020 Next Announcement Thread!

Matt42

13 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Imagine the torture.

I’ve always wondered if I’d love or hate for them to announce absolutely nobody. You don’t find out who’s playing until you get through the gates and get your lanyard/programme. 

That would actually give me nightmare's. For me one of the great pleasures  are the months leading up to the festival when I  listen to all kinds of interesting things from the more obscure parts of the line-up. Of course this year, when we don't have tickets, it all seems a bit precious! If Mr.E did decide to post me a ticket then I promise that I wouldn't whinge about not knowing!

19 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Imagine the torture.

I’ve always wondered if I’d love or hate for them to announce absolutely nobody. You don’t find out who’s playing until you get through the gates and get your lanyard/programme. 

insane / chaotic but fun! imagine not knowing until you get in and get a lanyard!

1 minute ago, grilladelphia said:

insane / chaotic but fun! imagine not knowing until you get in and get a lanyard!

I always thought this would be fun, until last year when I went in without really having a plan.  It did end up being a bit aimless and overwhelming tbh.  Don't have it planned to the letter, but having some clear markers down for the weekend and a reasonable view of what's on where definitely works better for me.

In reality I think doing that would take away a massive part of the fun in the build up. The excitement of post drop. The horror of clashes. Talking about it all with your friends.

Just fine as it is but if they ever wanted to mix it up for any reason that would definitely be a way of doing it! Although I’m sure there are reason we wouldn’t even think about as to why they couldn’t.

21 hours ago, Smash Williams said:

Can anyone remember why 2002 was so late? 

20 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

They didn’t have a license for the festival until quite late. 

19 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Nah, they had the licence in January.

All the fun of the licence meeting:

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/02/020125b.shtml

I like the idea but it'd ruin my Wednesday, it'll be like an exam cramming session with everyone's nose in a lanyard to make sure they don't miss anything instead of chilling out, absorbing the atmosphere and letting the festival take you.

It'd be more fun for a smaller festival with fewer stages though.

Always found it mad when my mates are flicking through the guide and come out with "Ah no way, such-and-such are playing the park!" like what have you been doing for the last few months? Working? 

I don't really consider myself an obsessive but come on, they self confirmed backstage at the cluny back in January

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I don't really consider myself an obsessive but come on, they self confirmed backstage at the cluny back in January

:D

I don't think I've even looked at the program until I get home since about 2013. My days are too busy to through other stuff in.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't think I've even looked at the program until I get home since about 2013. My days are too busy to through other stuff in.

Talking of the programmes...

£10 price printed on the front yet given out for free as included in the ticket price.

Has anyone actually purchased one? If not why print it on there?!

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

They should give them out on the coaches at the start of the journey, I think that's the only time I'd get through it.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

£10 price printed on the front yet given out for free as included in the ticket price.

They also sell them on the website so maybe that's why? Good point though. Maybe it's to show that you're getting value for money (£10 value!) by having the ticket!

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Imagine the torture.

I seem to remember that this is what actually happened in the late 90s (or at least I didn't know who was playing until I got there). I loved it then but the obsessive in me probably wouldn't cope so well these days.

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

something tells me its for tax purposes .... maybe ive read it on here before ? 

This rings a bell. Tax rates being lower on printed materials than events, so if x amount of the ticket price is allocated to printed materials then it cuts tax, or maybe the other way round if they're claiming VAT or something.

39 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Yup. I did in 2016 as the one I got through the gate got utterly destroyed through some combination of mud and rain. I bought one at the info point by the Other Stage to add to the collection.

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

This rings a bell. Tax rates being lower on printed materials than events, so if x amount of the ticket price is allocated to printed materials then it cuts tax, or maybe the other way round if they're claiming VAT or something.

That's pretty much it - there's no VAT on magazines so VAT would not be payable on the percentage of the ticket allocated to the programme.  It's the same reason Sky used to send a magazine out every month with a £4 or whatever cover price.

People do buy them though - in addition to those that get destroyed I know a few people who perform in the poetry/comedy tents and they don't get given a programme so will usually buy one.

Edited by Jon F

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Imagine the torture.

In the top 3-4 most horrendous things I’ve ever considered. In my lifetime. 

Ben

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Most volunteers and crew don't get given one, so they might buy them (if they haven't got ticket holding friends that will blag another one for them like me)

And for VAT reasons as previously mentioned.