Community Festival 2020

hirobyn

8 minutes ago, Mcbatesman said:

I wouldn't say singles in top 10 is reflective of any rock acts popularity at all,  foo fighters haven't threatened the top 20 for the past decade and are still immensely popular

Fair point, though I feel like Foo Fighters have reached the point where there popularity will never dip due to their reputation. Biffy’s stuff seems to be received increasingly poorly, especially Ellipsis.

31 minutes ago, Quorn said:

Fair point, though I feel like Foo Fighters have reached the point where there popularity will never dip due to their reputation. Biffy’s stuff seems to be received increasingly poorly, especially Ellipsis.

Based on what though? Going by your previous chart logic, Ellipsis was their most successful album ever.

34 minutes ago, Quorn said:

Elipsis charted very well and Opposites contained some of their biggest songs.

You can't really count B&S as it was only a soundtrack album meaning that they really have not dropped off the mark at all.

I see this argument for lots of British rock bands who have not released material in a few years (such as Royal Blood) although never much evidence to support it.

41 minutes ago, mttJ said:

Based on what though? Going by your previous chart logic, Ellipsis was their most successful album ever.

37 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

Elipsis charted very well and Opposites contained some of their biggest songs.

You can't really count B&S as it was only a soundtrack album meaning that they really have not dropped off the mark at all.

I see this argument for lots of British rock bands who have not released material in a few years (such as Royal Blood) although never much evidence to support it.

Not saying my argument is backed up by any stats, just how I thought it seemed in the community. Always seeing talk of how Biffy dropped from head to co-head and potentially subbing RandL in the future. Fair points made by both of you

11 minutes ago, Quorn said:

Not saying my argument is backed up by any stats, just how I thought it seemed in the community. Always seeing talk of how Biffy dropped from head to co-head and potentially subbing RandL in the future. Fair points made by both of you

I do agree that their status has dropped slightly, although most of this due to what has largely been a period of inactivity.

I guess the only way to truly tell is to see the performance of their new album when that drops.

9 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

I do agree that their status has dropped slightly, although most of this due to what has largely been a period of inactivity.

I guess the only way to truly tell is to see the performance of their new album when that drops.

I hope they come back to headline RandL off the back of it. As much as it would be seen as a boring booking, it would be great for me

3 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Guitar acts largely do shite in the singles charts now. It should never be used as an indication of anything ever.

I can't remember the last new rock band single to reach the top 10, but then it seems to be a medium largely operating independent on the pop charts now. Which is a curious way to sustain long term popularity.

23 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Huge? You mean the band headlining This Is Tomorrow and Victorious :P

This is Tomorrow this year have:

-Sam Fender. In Newcastle, there are not many bigger artists, sold out 4 academy shows and an arena show within seconds, bands like 1975 who headlined Reading didn't sell out the arena.

-Gerry Cinnamon, also sold out arena rapidly

Last year had Noel Gallagher, Stereophonics and Foals (all realistically bigger than what Community has booked before)

First year had Catfish and Thirty Seconds to Mars

This is Tomorrow attracts bigger headliners than Community. Royal Blood would be a big headliner.

14 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

This is Tomorrow this year have:

-Sam Fender. In Newcastle, there are not many bigger artists, sold out 4 academy shows and an arena show within seconds, bands like 1975 who headlined Reading didn't sell out the arena.

-Gerry Cinnamon, also sold out arena rapidly

Last year had Noel Gallagher, Stereophonics and Foals (all realistically bigger than what Community has booked before)

First year had Catfish and Thirty Seconds to Mars

This is Tomorrow attracts bigger headliners than Community. Royal Blood would be a big headliner.

This is tomorrow is run by a small independent promoter. Community is run by a promoter making billions worldwide, Live Nation.

Noel Gallagher, Stereophonics, Foals...theyve all played the likes of Tramlines, Truck festival, Kendal... Its nothing special booking them. 

Community seems to have been designed to compete with these small / mid tier festivals and doing a poor job at that. Royal Blood are not huge and have been announced for some time for other festivals, it wouldn't be a any sort of stand out booking. 

Edited by JBarbour

1 minute ago, JBarbour said:

This is tomorrow is run by a small independent promoter. Community is run by a promoter making billions worldwide, Live Nation.

Noel Gallagher, Stereophonics, Foals...theyve all played the likes of Tramlines, Truck festival, Kendal... Its nothing special booking them. 

Community seems to have been designed to compete with these small / mid tier festivals and doing a poor job at that. Royal Blood are not huge and have been announced for some time for other festivals, it wouldn't be a any sort of stand out booking. 

Compared to the Kooks, Two Door and Catfish, I reckon they are. Royal Blood subbed Reading/Leeds and were considered a big sub given a lot of people had them down to headline/coheadline. And they're a big get for those festivals this year. Not saying its a massive jump, especially enough to justify the late announcement, but Royal Blood would be a bigger booking than anything community have had so far. 

22 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Compared to the Kooks, Two Door and Catfish, I reckon they are. Royal Blood subbed Reading/Leeds and were considered a big sub given a lot of people had them down to headline/coheadline. And they're a big get for those festivals this year. Not saying its a massive jump, especially enough to justify the late announcement, but Royal Blood would be a bigger booking than anything community have had so far. 

Bigger in what way? Considering Kooks, TDCC, Catfish all chart higher and all have higher Spotify monthly listens than Royal Blood I'm not sure how they are bigger. Did they tour the academy circuit their last album? I'm not basing this on personal taste. Maybe because they've not been about on the live circuit as much as the other acts lately so it seems like they are better booking.

That was a bit of a poor booking for R&L looking back.

Edited by JBarbour

1 minute ago, JBarbour said:

Bigger in what way? Considering Kooks, TDCC, Catfish all chart higher and all have higher Spotify monthly listens than Royal Blood I'm not sure how they are bigger. Did they tour the academy circuit the last album? I'm not basing this on personal taste. Maybe because they've not been about on the live circuit as much as the other acts lately so it seems like they are better booking.

That was a bit of a poor booking for R&L looking back.

Royal Blood had started doing arenas, also have 2 number one albums i think. None of the headliner previously have been the size of a sub at Reading when they headlined this, kooks played third down at Reading the year before they headlined community, so did two door. 

13 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Royal Blood had started doing arenas, also have 2 number one albums i think. None of the headliner previously have been the size of a sub at Reading when they headlined this, kooks played third down at Reading the year before they headlined community, so did two door. 

All the other acts have played arenas and fairly recently. Reading & Leeds was probably their biggest gig and looking back was a poor booking on FR/LN's part. I think festivals at the time were being hammered for not booking newer headliners. 

Im not saying they are a bad booking, but not getting the hype. 

Edited by JBarbour

8 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

All the other acts have played arenas and fairly recently. Reading & Leeds was probably their biggest gig and looking back was a poor booking on FR/LN's part. I think festivals at the time were being hammered for not booking newer headliners. 

Im not saying they are a bad booking, but not getting the hype. 

Completely disagree with them being a poor booking for sub, I think it was the complete opposite. A lot of people were thinking they might co-headline, when they were announced the reaction was very much that it was a great booking to have them there in a spot below headlining. They had already played third down in 2015, so subbing after two massive albums is not at all surprising.

Just on the matter of where the previous headliners were at in terms of venues pre-community:

Catfish (who I'd say are the strongest headliner Community have booked so far) had just jumped up to playing a couple of arenas the November before Community 2017. I was at their Wembley Arena show and I can't remember if it was sold out, but was definitely busy.

Two Door's most recent proper tour before Community 2018 was actually back in early 2017 but was Academies and Ally Pally/Barrowlands. They didn't really jump up into arenas until last year.

The Kooks seemed to jump up to arenas at the end of 2017, no idea how those shows sold but not a massive arena tour.

Royal Blood did a fairly big arena tour at the end of 2017, with a new album cycle (which I presume will be what they'll be touring this summer) they'll possibly manage to shift even more tickets. Granted the fact that they are doing other festivals does make them slightly less of a ticket shifter, but I still can't see any of the previous headliners being as big as them when they headlined.