Flares / Smoke Bombs

lukethekid

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Or alternatively consider banning something that burns at up to 1,600 degrees C from being held by pissed people in a large crowd? Or that generates a stupid amount of smoke that can set off lung conditions in a packed area that affected people can't move away from quickly?

I sit on the fence, but don't turn this into some generation snowflake bollocks.

Be careful with that... you'll get splinters.

Please do not bring any of these prohibited items:

• No portable laser equipment or pens are permitted.
  • NO animals (except registered guide dogs).
  • No sound systems or drums.
  • No generators.
  • No sky lanterns or kites, unauthorised fireworks, or wax flares.
  • No nitrous oxide (laughing gas). As a contraband good, under the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 this substance is banned at Glastonbury.

Please note:

• Persons using fireworks will be evicted from site and materials confiscated.

2 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I used to set those off back 'in the day'. Had a load of them off me Dads boat one year. They well kick in when launching - cos they're out of date usually tho they sometimes end up going all over the shop.

Never used one but a friends dad had a grenade launcher type thing to send them up if needed.

If out in an open air stage like Pyramid/Other they're not too bad but in a tent á la John Peel for Gerry Cinnamon this year they just stink the tent out and cause issues for anyone with asthma etc as the smoke has nowhere to go.

Let's face it, if people can't smoke a cigarette in a tent why on earth should a flare be deemed as acceptable? It's pretty selfish IMO and just screams 'look at me, I'm super cool'. No you're not, you are coming across as a selfish w*nker.

Most people come to watch the acts, not look at coloured smoke that is making people choke.

2 hours ago, Bisque said:

Is there much difference between the heat of these two types of flares?STH70144.thumb.JPG.477a1a68c6120dcd07e1f3ed568d41e5.JPGCourtneers2004969734_FlareAtTheProdigyAtReadingFestival2009.thumb.JPG.66dc99bcfa33b538fcc139c35c07e3e5.JPG

Prodigy

I still have a tub of out of date sailing flares in the garage, the types that shoot off into the air.

Top one is a smoke grenade of the type used in paintball. They do get  hot and are not intended to be held. 

Bottom one is a flare. These get much hotter 1600 degrees (melting point of steel) and are designed to be difficult to extinguish (you kinda want you distress flare to keep flaring no matter what). 

I was at Pilton Party when the dick threw the flare into the crowd. 1600 degrees! 

I could never use one, the consequences if things go wrong is too great. 

I had a chat with someone who thought that at certain times the festival itself had people let off flares to give a good TV and photographic effect... 

Doubt it tho.. 

There OK from a distance but would not like one going off in a crowd next to me.. 

Flares scare the shit out of me. The trauma nurse in me just thinks they are an accident waiting to happen 

I love smoke bombs though. They do look awesome and add to the atmosphere and I'd selfishly love them to be at every gig I go to. Unfortunately the cost is too high though for those with asthma etc

21 hours ago, drunk pumpkin said:

i was a magnet for them this year. Had about 8 set off next to me at various point of the festival.

The one in the BBC introducing was a bit stupid! 

So I moved

IMG_0267.jpeg

Was that at Red Rum Club? The stewards made them take it outside.

Anyway, I like the flares but not a fan of the smoke bombs. I don't think the smoke adds anything other than obscuring people's view, whereas flares look great.

P1000791.thumb.JPG.c894ed3bd9de26fc29af26e02fb295b4.JPG

20170625_182225.thumb.jpg.7a77fe301e245f5fa7a8d4a7467c0d36.jpg

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Big fan of them myself. Keeps the scally part of the festival alive, like it or not groups of scally lads are part of what makes Glastonbury special. Sometimes you need a gang of dickheads to get the crowd going. 

Interesting point, certainly I recollect the gigs from my youth in the Glasgow Apollo where the air was thick with dope, the floor sticky and strewn with beer cans, the audience standing on seats and whole rows collapsing under the strain.  . Absolute bedlam during heavy rock gigs such as purple , sabbath etc but what an atmosphere. Changed days now though, was at the sabbath end of the road gig a few years back at the new hydro and folk were being told to sit down!    We are now in a different era, and it’s not a bad thing. The enjoyment of the vast majority shouldn’t be spoiled by a minority especially if it causes asthma or burns. There are a lot of kids at Glastonbury.  My main gripe is those who insist on standing in front of you talking loudly with their pals. That really boils my pish. We need a sensible balance between the sheer exuberance of being at the greatest show on earth and spoiling the enjoyment of others.