Flares / Smoke Bombs

lukethekid

2 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

butttttttttt

they looked fucking unreal at Chems on the Other, just made sure i kept my distance!

you cant say that now :) ... someones health for a pretty flare ... dont think its a fair trade .. thats not to say someone else isn't next to them ... and yes I agree they can look awesome 

The closer I am, the less I like them.

The crowd does look absolutely incredible when there are flares and smoke going off all over the place but I get all kinds of anxious when one goes off near me.  Just the idea of something going wrong and being in a highly packed crowd is really hard for me to get past.

That and I'm usually wearing something highly flammable or likely to melt quickly, which doesn't help things

• Upvote 1

I love them.

I took my kids one year and someone let a flare off right next to us during Disclosure at West Holts, and I think it's my kids favourite memory of the festival.

37 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

Sarcasm?

Plastic pollution at it's worst. Unnecessary gimmick. ?

I'm all for cutting out single use plastic for drinks and packaging, but the Coldplay wristbands were incredible and absolutely worth it.

• Upvote 1

May show the type of bands I watch but only really noticed them last year when I watched Gerry Cinnamon at Kendall Calling and Chemical brothers at all points east. At chemicals they enhanced, and at Gerry Cinnamon they didn’t fit in as well. My summation is they are better at dance type acts where it becomes part of the atmosphere 

Edited by ShakeyCrash

I like them when not near me.

However at Metallica someone set one off above me, I don't know if they set it off upside down or what but it was pouring molten hot sparks over me. Have a couple of burns, one an inch or two wide across my shoulder blade. Be careful.

Fortunately in my drunken state I found it equally painful and hilarious. Put my hood up to protect my money making face, wouldn't have been laughing then.

Edited by Gacheezbo
a word

57 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The first from a safe distance looks superb ... from a few years back ..... The second in a busy bar last year caused all kinds of issues the fire marshal picked it up and rushed it outside not before the music was killed and the place filling with smoke ... what a selfish rick was my thoughts at the time !! 

P1020340.jpeg

Was that first one Coldplay 2011? If so I wasn't far to the right of you (and the flare)

I'n in the camp of if they are >15m away from me they're great and atmospheric, less than that they're reckless and selfish.

43 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Flares are fine. Being a dick with them is not. Seen them thrown into crowds before, not good ?

Courteeners fans are the worst for it. Flares not the only things being thrown either. I’ve seen them throw glass bottles into crowds as well. Total animals. 

12 minutes ago, mazola said:

I love them.

I took my kids one year and someone let a flare off right next to us during Disclosure at West Holts, and I think it's my kids favourite memory of the festival.

I'm all for cutting out single use plastic for drinks and packaging, but the Coldplay wristbands were incredible and absolutely worth it.

If you are still interested,  unbelievably they are available on e bay! 

Since there are people who are either scared of them or just nervous, then it's a no, let alone the health issues for others.

Even at a distance, I'm distracted from enjoying the music because it crosses my mind that someone near that is absolutely bricking it in case the knob drops the damn thing.

9 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Since there are people who are either scared of them or just nervous, then it's a no, let alone the health issues for others.

Even at a distance, I'm distracted from enjoying the music because it crosses my mind that someone near that is absolutely bricking it in case the knob drops the damn thing.

Quick ban everything, someone may not like something.??

25 minutes ago, mazola said:

Have recycled ours. They now make a key ring for the house keys. I kept on losing my keys but this thing is quite chunky so now never lose them! Yay Chris Martin!

Edited by semmtexx

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Flares = cool

Flares being held by someone on his mate's shoulders when they've been elbow deep in the party bag all day = terrifying

Yeh I think this is it. I was 19 when Metallica headlined and I couldn't have given a fuck about my scars at the time, however I have to think, what if it was a kid in my position then? or even if had been a few inches in another direction and gone in my eyes. It is a concern, but then I've never heard of an issue for anyone else, so I'll leave it to the security or what not to make a call on this.

It's a pretty special moment when a band launches in to one of their big hits and all the flares light up simultaneously. It's one of those things that just adds to the atmosphere.

That being said they're dangerous and the festival would be no worse if they were policed more heavily. So yeah I can see both sides. 

10 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Quick ban everything, someone may not like something.??

Or alternatively consider banning something that burns at up to 1,600 degrees C from being held by pissed people in a large crowd? Or that generates a stupid amount of smoke that can set off lung conditions in a packed area that affected people can't move away from quickly?

I sit on the fence, but don't turn this into some generation snowflake bollocks.

• Upvote 6