Lock ups

Sue12

1 hour ago, Sue12 said:

I’m thinking now that they aren’t actual individual locker type things that no one else can access but more like a cloakroom where you leave stuff in a more open space and get a ticket?

They are huge tents with a small opening, with a table. You queue at the table, you never enter the tent, you give your details and sign the form and get a slip and hand over your item. That item gets stored in the tent, which is always manned. When you go to retrieve your item, you're asked to give your details and signature to prove it's you, to get your things. Photograph your slip in case you lose it. You can store anything, money in envelopes, trolleys, booze, it's secure, and storage is free. Please give a donation as these are all run by charities action groups, like CND.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 10:55 PM, carlosj said:

They are huge tents with a small opening, with a table. You queue at the table, you never enter the tent, you give your details and sign the form and get a slip and hand over your item. That item gets stored in the tent, which is always manned. When you go to retrieve your item, you're asked to give your details and signature to prove it's you, to get your things. Photograph your slip in case you lose it. You can store anything, money in envelopes, trolleys, booze, it's secure, and storage is free. Please give a donation as these are all run by charities action groups, like CND.

Do the lockups provide the envelopes for your cash? And is there any advantage to putting your cash in an envelope, over putting it in a rucksack etc?

12 minutes ago, doomdays said:

Do the lockups provide the envelopes for your cash? And is there any advantage to putting your cash in an envelope, over putting it in a rucksack etc?

No envelopes, that I know of.  Having said that, I think you could literally give them a wad of cash wrapped in an elastic band, and it would be fine.  I think they'd enjoy the challenge of proving the idea that this would be wrong, wrong. 

For your own peace of mind though, just put it in a bag. 

You could take almost anything and they'd take it.  Be-aware though that it's treated like one item, regardless of the content.  I took a loaded cart one year, and if I wanted one beer (for arguments sake.  Like who'd want one beer!?), I had to book out the whole cart.  They'd (sensibly) not take the beer off the top of the cart even though we could all see it.  Cart out, beer off, cart back in again.  No argument then about who touched what etc.  Very fair. 

Can't recommend them enough. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/8/2019 at 9:15 PM, doomdays said:

Yes. 

You sign across the sealed flap too. This is to show its not been tampered with. 

Lockups are one of the unique features of the festival. They will take anything (except livestock) and have lost nothing. Staffed by volunteers they charge nothing but do appreciate a donation (I'd suggest a tenner for the weekend). 

Free loo roll and some will charge your phone for free too. 

Use them and support them. 

Edited by HalfAnIdiot
Typo
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Yes. 

You sign a cross the sealed flap too. This is to show its not been tampered with. 

Lockups are one of the unique features of the festival. They will take anything (except livestock) and have lost nothing. Staffed by volunteers they charge nothing but do appreciate a donation (I'd suggest a tenner for the weekend). 

Free loo roll and some will charge your phone for free too. 

Use them and support them. 

Thanks, good to know! I've used the lockups every time, leaving a rucksack of stuff for my shifts, but I'm going as a punter for the first time, so won't have a secure campsite. Looking forward to being able to go back to my tent in the day though 

3 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

Well, shows what I know!  I never knew that!

Brilliant things they are (the lockups) - I don't know why more people don't use them.

Its a fantastically simple an effective and reliable system. So much so that I think some people just don't get it. 

14 hours ago, doomdays said:

With cash, or anything else, if you have time, split it into piles to book in as multiple entries. That way you can get each one back more easily. As was mentioned earlier, if you book everything in as 1, you have to get it all back out again even if you only want 1 item. So, maybe book money in as a wedge per day instead of 1 lump sum, and beers in packs of 6, instead of the week's supply. It's longer to start with, but easier to handle during the festival.

Everyone, please give a donation to these groups who do it for free.

Last year it got so hot in my tent I was worried about my hairspray and the Gaz canister exploding - so put them ( and battery charger) into the lock ups where it was cool and shaded - was slightly worried with all those together I had created a potential bomb but the lock up people were fine with it! 

On 11/8/2019 at 9:15 PM, doomdays said:

Lockups volunteer here! 

Yes, we do provide envelopes for putting cash in, and as stated upthread you sign across the seal which we then tape over as an anti-tamper measure. 

It's definitely better to check small valuables & cash in separately as we have different procedures for those compared to larger items. 

Please use our service & spread the word! 

Edited by deepkittycaz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5