Taking kids

CeriG

Taking our 3 children aged 12, 10 & almost 7. We will have disability passes for our son aged 10. 

Is it worth taking a trolley/cart to pull the kids around with the age that they are? We would need a pretty big trolley and worried about it getting in the way and lugging it around. 

Weve decided not to use the viewing platforms. Do those with 3 or more kids tend to stick to the back for more room? Is it a nightmare in the crowd? (Back to the trolley issue too).

what kind of foods to pack? Breakfast and lunch (we will be buying evening meals but need to budget spending in the day time). Need to keep packing to a minimum with there being 5 of us. I’m used to packing the kitchen sink when we go away as a family ?

thank you x

We’ve taken our kids from the age of 6 and we’ve never taken a trolley thing to pull them around in. Looks like hard work to me and it’s never been necessary with ours.  I cannot imagine what it’s like pulling one of those around in the mud and the crowds!

It does get crowded and when we watch the headliner on the Pyramid we tend to walk up the back lane and wander through until we find a place. We generally find a space where we can sit, stand or dance comfortably.

In the past we have cooked breakfast at the tent, but we now tend to eat out as there is so much good food on offer. If I was budgeting I would cook a good breakfast at the tent and have a light lunch and proper dinner. It’s all about the food for us!

My main advice is go with the flow. Don’t feel you have to see everything and if you end up missing something because you find yourselves doing something you didn’t expect, then so be it. Most of all, make it about the kids and you will have have a great time because they’ll be having a great time. Being at Glastonbury with children is a game changer!

Have a great time!

• Upvote 1

As above.. Trolley for tiny tots OK but that age better setting your day and doing that.. If you try and get around with trolley and it's soft underneath you'll just have hassles.. Best taking slow strolls and enjoying yourself.. 

As for food it's a hard one to even think about yet.. If its like last year.. This year... You don't eat as much in the heat.. So best wait but again as above.. Cook in camp food is getting very expensive on site nowadays.. Imo 

Trolleys and carts are fine for flat and smooth pathways but much of Glasto is not like this. It is inclined/hilly with rough, stony rutted walkways that make hauling trolleys laborious. Even using the flat old railway line which runs like a highway across the site requires a sharp climb up to it. Add to this very heavy crowds in popular areas and you may find them an hindrance not a  convenience. And that's without factoring in any of the notorious Glasto mud.

Regarding food, we always take sausage & bacon and bread rolls for breakfast. These are supplimented with snacks we take for during the day. It is all done to personal preference however....and what the little ones will eat.

We try to budget £9 each for an evening meal but this rule generally goes out of the window as hunger levels vary throughout the day and there are lots of tempting food available. Glasto is a food fest and the walking you will do will create hungry stomachs. 

2019 I took my two younglings - 5 and 8 at the time. They certainly didn't need a trolley. Will plenty of stops and distractions they must have walked miles! They did SO well! 

I think they were a little intimidated by the huge crowds from the pyramid but that's understandable. 

I would get a comfy backpack which can hold all that you need. A trolley is just going to slow you down.

Thanks everyone, going to ditch the trolley then. Fingers crossed it’s as nice as this year and 2017 So we can rest anywhere on the ground. If not I’ll make use of the lock ups and take chairs etc. 

The food is the best bit for us too and have budgeted £10 a head. Which if you times that by 5 can work out costly if buying 3 meals a day. Can only afford realistically to buy one meal a day for us all. 

I might make some pre prepared wraps and pack the usual pic stuff for lunch and snacks. Will deffo take bacon etc for breakie and Fill them up. We have only been on our own so have always eaten what we want and never taken food so this will be a new experience. 

Excited to be taking them. Wish June would just bloody hurry up now ? 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CeriG said:

Thanks everyone, going to ditch the trolley then. Fingers crossed it’s as nice as this year and 2017 So we can rest anywhere on the ground. If not I’ll make use of the lock ups and take chairs etc. 

The food is the best bit for us too and have budgeted £10 a head. Which if you times that by 5 can work out costly if buying 3 meals a day. Can only afford realistically to buy one meal a day for us all. 

I might make some pre prepared wraps and pack the usual pic stuff for lunch and snacks. Will deffo take bacon etc for breakie and Fill them up. We have only been on our own so have always eaten what we want and never taken food so this will be a new experience. 

Excited to be taking them. Wish June would just bloody hurry up now ? 

If you are anywhere near Arcadia then the Co-op could be useful. 

We only headed there on the last night as we were camped a long way away in Wicket Ground and we weren't on too much of a budget but they had lots of stuff to keep you going with only a small premium over high street prices.

Muffins were good to take with us for headliners.