British Summer Time 2020

Chef

11 hours ago, xxialac said:

No, in fairness they didn't. But they did still sell 20 million records and were household names. For all their current popularity, Little Mix are similarly on a path to hosting bingo nights in future.

It's a weird mix of bands BST Hyde Park.

Little Mix seem to be a bigger deal already, given the X Factor backing, getting songs regularly on the radio and the fact they're confident enough to do a 20+ date stadium tour. And yes I know its smaller venues but I think they'd be confident enough to sell a great chunk of tickets for those dates.

I know I had the question over whether the place in Falkirk was a stadium gig spot when The Killers announced a date for there, but blimey there's places on there I wasn't aware were in such business. But fair play to them for making it work.

Is there much awareness of them outside the UK?

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

5ive are still all time greats and no one can convince me otherwise!

Still repping the 5ive back catalogue eh?

33 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they did a similar "lowly" stadiums tour a couple of years ago.

It's different to how other acts do it, but it clearly works for them else they wouldn't be repeating it.

I guess its the idea that nobody will travel 200 miles to see them but if they are 30 minutes away then why not. Thats an absolute ton of tickets probably more than most stadium tours would do - not the Killers one but definitely far this than Muse's last year for example.

Edited by gfa

11 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Little Mix seem to be a bigger deal already, given the X Factor backing, getting songs regularly on the radio and the fact they're confident enough to do a 20+ date stadium tour. And yes I know its smaller venues but I think they'd be confident enough to sell a great chunk of tickets for those dates.

I know I had the question over whether the place in Falkirk was a stadium gig spot when The Killers announced a date for there, but blimey there's places on there I wasn't aware were in such business. But fair play to them for making it work.

It seems to be a growing market, there have been a few tours over the last few years that have targeted these 'smaller market' venues and as Neil says above, its the second time Little Mix have done it so it works for them (they also do the big city arenas in the winter, they cover all the bases).  To put it in local context, they also played Carlisle the first time and reportedly sold 17,000 tickets - the previous night they had Bryan Adams in the same place and he sold 9,000 and they tried to put Madness on there last summer and it sold so badly that it got moved to the indoor Sands Centre which holds less than 2,000.  So it obviously doesn't work for everyone, but it certainly does for them.

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

I guess its the idea that nobody will travel 200 miles to see them but if they are 30 minutes away then why not. Thats an absolute ton of tickets probably more than most stadium tours would do - not the Killers one but definitely far this than Muse's last year for example.

This is true - as I said in my meandering cross-post reply they pulled a huge crowd here last time, and like a lot of the gigs that are put on round here it will have pulled in a lot of people who wouldn't ordinarily travel outside of the region for stuff - particularly the sort of small towns and rural areas that are within the radius of Carlisle (and some of the other places on that list).  They are tapping into an audience that other acts ignore (which may be due to them being far bigger in the UK than abroad, so they have to max out their income opportunities here).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Is there a possibility they sell more tickets because their fans occupy a younger demographic? Therefore parents/ families go along as well increasing number of tickets sold. A young group of friends each takes a parent and it doubles sales straight away as opposed to them going solo if they were older.

Might be nonsense and perhaps I just need to accept they are a popular act. 

Little MIx sold out five nights at the O2 recently, they are massive. Took my daughter, and I've got to go again next summer as they're playing two minutes from my house on this tour! They put on a good show, enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

Edited by duke88

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

they did a similar "lowly" stadiums tour a couple of years ago.

It's different to how other acts do it, but it clearly works for them else they wouldn't be repeating it.

It will sell out here in Peterborough, no problem. Probably about 15,000 tickets. It's a good business model, places like this never get big acts playing, so people will go and see them. Not everyone wants to, or can afford, to go to London or Birmingham for a show. Been getting a few acts the last couple of years - Westlife, Craig David, Tom Jones. No one I'd ever want to see, but there's definitely a market for it.

Little Mix are massive and more than suitable to headline BST, particularly with a strong undercard.

The 'regional stadiums' route is super smart for them as it enables teenagers, parents and families to go and see them locally without having to shell out train tickets, accommodation, etc when they do their regular city arena tours. The Killers announcing some dates in these places too means that it's going to be a much more established touring route from now on.

Little Mix grossed over £10million this summer doing this kind of tour so I'm not surprised they're repeating it next year.

Edited by jannybruck

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Muse's UK popularity is difficult to gauge IMO, and I say that as someone who is a big fan. I don't think they're big enough here to do an everywhere stadium tour like The Killers (maybe at a theatres/arena level), although they probably could do such a run in places like France and Italy. I thought the prices were too high for their 2019 shows in all fairness, given I only think the September O2 Arena shows sold out.

But I do agree with that local principle. The long-standing rumour of My Chemical Romance playing in Milton Keynes does make me feel more interested to see them partly because I know a few songs and partly because I live nearby. I used to enjoy MK Bowl gigs, even if it hasn't been used for in 3 years. Though tbf, I've still felt the rumour is that MCR was going to end up at All Points East or Reading/Leeds.

1 hour ago, WFD said:

It seems to be a growing market, there have been a few tours over the last few years that have targeted these 'smaller market' venues and as Neil says above, its the second time Little Mix have done it so it works for them (they also do the big city arenas in the winter, they cover all the bases).  To put it in local context, they also played Carlisle the first time and reportedly sold 17,000 tickets - the previous night they had Bryan Adams in the same place and he sold 9,000 and they tried to put Madness on there last summer and it sold so badly that it got moved to the indoor Sands Centre which holds less than 2,000.  So it obviously doesn't work for everyone, but it certainly does for them.

Sure. I think Elton John has been spreading the gospel of playing beyond core cities in the past, and other acts that have suitable regional popularity have followed. Little Mix certainly fit the bill of this - have lots of radio hit and I imagine enough people in provincial towns/cities like what they do but don't necessarily wanna cart themselves to a London/Manchester to do so.

Edited by charlierc

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Sure. I think Elton John has been spreading the gospel of playing beyond core cities in the past, and other acts that have suitable regional popularity have followed. Little Mix certainly fit the bill of this - have lots of radio hit and I imagine enough people in provincial towns/cities like what they do but don't necessarily wanna cart themselves to a London/Manchester to do so.

Yes, in fact Elton John was the first to put on a big outdoor show in Carlisle (excluding the Radio 1 events anyway).  We've since had Rod Stewart, Tom Jones, Bryan Adams and Olly Murrs (edit and Lionel Richie!) - all middle of the road stuff which sold well, and of course Little Mix - whereas Madness and Jess Glynne last year sold poorly.  We also get those post-racing shows at the racecourse which tend to be popular (in fact part of the problem with Madness and Jess Glynne was that they'd played the racecourse in recent years).

Edited by WFD

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Sir have you heard of the LGBTQ+ community?

Do they do much for the LGBTQ community though? I honestly don't know and I just thought they were a modern day Spice Girls, occasionally they will do the odd Comic Relief or whatever charity single for publicity rather than being some sort of U2 preachy activism band or have big gay following like Lady Gaga.

Edited by jump

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

Muse's UK popularity is difficult to gauge IMO, and I say that as someone who is a big fan. I don't think they're big enough here to do an everywhere stadium tour like The Killers (maybe at a theatres/arena level), although they probably could do such a run in places like France and Italy. I thought the prices were too high for their 2019 shows in all fairness, given I only think the September O2 Arena shows sold out.

One of the o2 shows didn't - the stadiums did though I think, London had a few seats left and stuff but to be fair to them it was against the football, BTS (which probably had a tiny impact if any) and Mumford at APE too. Not really sure why they announced those O2 shows for like 3 months after the stadium shows to be honest - the O2 is shit and they played the same setlist too it just seemed pointless to me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

One of the o2 shows didn't - the stadiums did though I think, London had a few seats left and stuff but to be fair to them it was against the football, BTS (which probably had a tiny impact if any) and Mumford at APE too. Not really sure why they announced those O2 shows for like 3 months after the stadium shows to be honest - the O2 is shit and they played the same setlist too it just seemed pointless to me.

Doing an arena tour that soon after the stadium tour was really daft though. Birmingham wasn't sold out either. I didn't bother trying for a ticket until later because it was pointless. If they'd announced those dates next year, absolutely no problem they'd have sold every single one out.