British Summer Time 2020

Chef

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah that was my thought. Got a new album due next year, but was his Download appearance not billed as his last festival date? (May have that wrong, and tbf it’s not like those claims mean much most of the time).

I would of thought he'd be too much of a risky booking because of all of his cancelled dates due to poor health.

KoRn came to mind (children of the corn) but they probably aren't big enough, maybe AC/DC or Slipknot?

He's just rearranged a bunch of postponed UK dates to late next year - which is assumed would rule him out as it'd be a bit odd to reschedule a London gig to October then announce another show for an earlier date. 

He's in the US at the time of BST anyway so its defo not him. 

4 hours ago, judyblue110 said:

Did Billie Ellish not get accused of that earlier in the year? I seem to remember some uproar.

Also, who is/are Billie Ellish please?

17-year-old superstar. Though I doubt she's doing this given she's playing arenas in July, including 2 nights at the O2.

Can't lie - I don't recall hearing any of her music. But I know there's a fair bit of crossover. I did enjoy reading an interview with Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day the two did for Rolling Stone. Though I bet it must make BJA feel old that he's been worshipped by a top 10-selling star who was 3 when American Idiot came out.

4 hours ago, Chef said:

Ol' Swifty is the epitome of a BST headliner, but what would it mean for the Glastonbury rumours? 

I think its highly likely she will play, all seems to fit. 

Once, it was plausible for somebody to do both. Think Springsteen, Blur and a few others have. Swift strikes me as the kind of act big enough to do so.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i've just been told - 3rd hand (so it might be wrong, but probably isn't) - that the first announcement is in about 2 weeks.

Ariana Grande was also mentioned as possibly one of the acts, tho I wouldn't put too much faith in that one.

Ariana Grande said she wasn't touring next year I think? 

Any word on the others? And who on earth @Brave Sir Robin's "occult" clue could be referring to?! ?

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Ariana Grande said she wasn't touring next year I think? 

as I said, I wouldn't put too much faith in that one. :P 

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Any word on the others? And who on earth @Brave Sir Robin's "occult" clue could be referring to?! ?

nope, tho Taylor Swift seems likely as she did it a few years ago.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

i've just been told - 3rd hand (so it might be wrong, but probably isn't) - that the first announcement is in about 2 weeks.

Ariana Grande was also mentioned as possibly one of the acts, tho I wouldn't put too much faith in that one.

That would make sense for an end of month pay day sale just in time for Christmas presents. 

18 hours ago, stanh said:

4 nights at the o2*

13 hours ago, judyblue110 said:

4 nights at the O2*

Clearly I missed the news of the tour extension.

4 hours ago, gfa said:

Foo Fighters touring again this year, announced Boston Calling... hopefully they don't do this but a possibility?

Depends if they have a new album out. Has to be a possibility though given they haven't done a Hyde Park show in years.

The band announced a new album for 2020 if I'm correct. Seems they're on tour in June (announced at Hellfest and Werchter), they could play there if Glastonbury don't book them again. Still watching the DVD of their Hyde Park show sometimes: would be sick to see them play there again!

20 minutes ago, Jericode said:

As a Foo Foghters fan, they're Reading headline set wasn't as good as their London show last year because it was pretty much exactly the same, even the pandering in between songs. So yes.

But the Reading set wins because of the Rick Astley surprise.

I was at the London show and I really enjoyed it. I also saw them at Glasto. They are a band I’ve enjoyed every time I’ve seen them but it really feels like they are in the UK every summer at this point.

37 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I was at the London show and I really enjoyed it. I also saw them at Glasto. They are a band I’ve enjoyed every time I’ve seen them but it really feels like they are in the UK every summer at this point.

This decade, the only times they've not played UK shows are 2010, 2013 and 2016. So they've certainly had their fill of UK dates.

I've only been to the 2 runs in Milton Keynes and I have enjoyed both of them, but I do think they need a bit more variety to their live shows.

52 minutes ago, charlierc said:

This decade, the only times they've not played UK shows are 2010, 2013 and 2016. So they've certainly had their fill of UK dates.

I've only been to the 2 runs in Milton Keynes and I have enjoyed both of them, but I do think they need a bit more variety to their live shows.

I'm a big Foo Fighters fan, but I agree. Their main problem is that they tend to have really good singles and then only tend to play the singles live.

With an ever growing list, none of the previous hits ever get cut or swapped, so you just end up with the same 15 songs plus the latest 4 or 5. The next tour, two of those will be added as staples, etc. Most of the songs from the previous album are never heard again.

It's a shame as I think they have some great album tracks. Most of Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace has never been played live. 

I don't think BST is that great for rock gigs due to the whole golden circle thing blocking us poor people from getting closer to the bands. I've seen Roger Waters and Stevie Wonder there in previous years who I thought were both great but can't see it working as a venue for someone like Pearl Jam or Foo Fighters where I'd want to be close to the action

15 hours ago, Jericode said:

As a Foo Foghters fan, they're Reading headline set wasn't as good as their London show last year because it was pretty much exactly the same, even the pandering in between songs. So yes.

But the Reading set wins because of the Rick Astley surprise.

I left about half way through to go and watch last bit of Chvrches and Bastille.  I was getting a bit bored.  

19 hours ago, judyblue110 said:

I'm a big Foo Fighters fan, but I agree. Their main problem is that they tend to have really good singles and then only tend to play the singles live.

With an ever growing list, none of the previous hits ever get cut or swapped, so you just end up with the same 15 songs plus the latest 4 or 5. The next tour, two of those will be added as staples, etc. Most of the songs from the previous album are never heard again.

It's a shame as I think they have some great album tracks. Most of Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace has never been played live. 

I'd be intrigued to know what they would produce if they did a by request gig but did it properly and excluded the big hits.

Don't get me wrong - songs like All My Life, Pretender, Times Like These, Best of You, Everlong etc is some superb material to call on. But I still enjoy remember hearing stuff at the MK Bowl 2011 gig that I doubt is coming back any time soon, and think it would be cool to have more variety.

Equally, however, I'm used to bands getting reliant on a core of hits. Its an impressive call U2 dropped the entire Joshua Tree album on the E&I Tour, for one, but its pretty rare a band is willing to do that anymore.

10 hours ago, gfa said:

And in the same week I wondered if they were a shout for this. Take it they're not any more.

Still, one from London, Coventry or Manchester would work. Although I will say Falkirk for a Scottish date looks really random.