Potential Solution to increased demand

SouthbanKen

4 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

Peer pressure gets me every time

You really should go and see this when you're at Glastonbury. If you don't, you're doing Glastonbury wrong and, frankly, wasting your weekend and are beyond help.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/Areas/glastonbury-on-sea/

Sorry, just subjecting you to some pier pressure there.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, eastynh said:

They should do a northern edition. It never rains up north. Could call it Bury Festival.

Good idea. I can watch through my windows at the back. However, there already is - really - a Glaston-Bury Festival every August (It's not quite as good at the one in Somerset)

Here's the field they could use:

IMG_3437.jpg

12 minutes ago, SiJo86 said:

So just to clarify then.... this isn't a potential solution to the increased demand, in fact it was clear that it wasn't a solution after there was clearly more cons than pros in the very first post.

Yep... even a forum of obsessed people who love the festival dearly think it's a terrible idea... and some of them are ticketless.

So, there's probably not much point pitching it to the Michael and Emily, their neighbours, locals, councillors etc.

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Agreed, anyway, You would need to make a different hat for each festival . That would be too much pressure on you. 

ive got 3 .... I had thought of making a pangea or pier one .... but need to be certain first ... and the pyramid is iconic .... Im hoping for a response to my letter but nothing yet ... Its not like they are busy :) 

The Eavis fam talked up the idea of a second festival some years ago - Variety Baazar.

The demise of V festival may be contributing something to increased demand in the last year or two. Certainly from, dare i say, acolytes of radio1.

Could be good to have a new chart music focused, green field festival to compete with glastonbury, and if it has the backing of the glastonbury brand then it should do alright, relieve some pressure.

2 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

The Eavis fam talked up the idea of a second festival some years ago - Variety Baazar.

The demise of V festival may be contributing something to increased demand in the last year or two. Certainly from, dare i say, acolytes of radio1.

Could be good to have a new chart music focused, green field festival to compete with glastonbury, and if it has the backing of the glastonbury brand then it should do alright, relieve some pressure.

And have since ruled out the idea as they are busy enough with the one festival .... 

6 hours ago, SouthbanKen said:

So, with 22 pages and counting discussing the (de)merits of the ticket allocation system, and a thread full of disappointment in the resales thread. We can clearly see that demand outstrips supply causing heartbreak and disappointment for many. 

Rather than look at a more "fair" way of allocating tickets, could the festival explore an alternative that considers the other side of the coin. Increasing capacity, and by this i am not talking about increasing by a few extra thousand here and there. What if they could double the capacity. 

A number of festivals, now operate over 2 consecutive weekends, Tomorrowland in Belgium, as an example has two weekends, back to back at the end of the July, the line up is similar but not quite the same over the two weekends. 

This may have been discussed before, it may have been dismissed by EE or ME previously,  interesting to hear why if they did and i thought an interesting topic for discussion. I have put down what i can see as a few of the Pros and Cons below. 

Pros

• Instant doubling of capacity - tickets for everyone who wants one (well probably not quite, but better than now)?
  • Doesn't double the cost base for festival or traders, therefore increasing commercial value of the Fest (hopefully further ensuring its long term success and development)

Cons 

• Might end up with tickets for the "other" weekend as your mates
  • Difficult to get everyone from Weekend 1 off site ahead of Weekend 2 arrivals (Tomorrowland runs Thurs to Sun, so Glasto starting on Weds is a tighter turnaround by 1 day)
  • Difficult to get licensing
  • Increase disruption to the locals
  • Potentially difficult to recruit enough volunteers
  • What about wet years, would weekend 2 be put in jeopardy as a result of a wet weekend 1?
  • Different set of headliners / acts on each weekend

Yeah, I already pointed out 2 weekends in the other thread as never happening due to the fact that the grounds themselves wouldnt survive after one festival weekend.  Coachella and Austin City Limits can deal with 2 weekends because IT DOES NOT RAIN where the festival happens. Dry ground and dust hasnt stopped people yet from going both of those weekends. Ultra in Miami was able to do it one year and then the city put a stop to it afterwards after a mountain of complaints.  Tomorrowland just wants to make all the money they can and they have half a million people show up just to talk to their friends and barely listen to music.

Edited by Suprefan

6 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I think the difficulty of getting tickets is what makes it.

if it was easy to get tickets would as big? when i get a ticket the feeling is amazing , when i haven't yes I have cried a little. I think this has a massive things to do with sales. everyone wants to go as a lot of johnny come lightly s put it on their bucket list, 

It was amazing before it sold out quickly. I just think the word has got round.

I think it would be great if you could reasonably pull it off, but it would be impossible. How many thousands of acts perform at Glastonbury from the big to the small, it would be impossible to make sure they were all free for essentially 10 days. The lineups would be completely different and therefore neither weekend will be the Glastonbury they could’ve been.

The only way you could have two festivals is to have them as far apart as possible but that won’t happen for many reasons, the council for one and the other being the cattle, it’s bad enough them being locked away for months for one festival never mind 2.

Would I go for 2 weekends? Absolutely. 

Is it a horrible idea that will never work for all the reasons listed above? Absolutely. 

Are there other ways to decrease demand? Possibly, but it might involve some fake news, a social media campaign, and a petition to have the Glastonbury mud de-poisoned.

The issue about the land recovering is just not true though. After 2016 the place looked like something from WWII, compare it to how it looked after 2019 and 2017, yet it still recovered absolutely fine. Yes it might have taken a bit longer but it still went entirely back to normal. It’s an extra week of punters, not Chernobyl.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The issue about the land recovering is just not true though. After 2016 the place looked like something from WWII, compare it to how it looked after 2019 and 2017, yet it still recovered absolutely fine. Yes it might have taken a bit longer but it still went entirely back to normal. It’s an extra week of punters, not Chernobyl.

17,18 and 19 were hot and dry. 18 was a fallow year as well which aided the recovery. 

If there was 3 or 4 wet summers in a row the ground would definitely struggle. 

Also look at festivals which don’t have fallow years. Drownload and R&L fests are notorious for being complete quagmires when the rain comes. Those sites don’t get the recovery time they desperately need. 

If the first hypothetical weekend is a wash out with cars struggling to leave the site due to mud, there’s no way they’d be able to use the car parks for weekend 2. 

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

17,18 and 19 were hot and dry. 18 was a fallow year as well which aided the recovery. 

If there was 3 or 4 wet summers in a row the ground would definitely struggle. 

Also look at festivals which don’t have fallow years. Drownload and R&L fests are notorious for being complete quagmires when the rain comes. Those sites don’t get the recovery time they desperately need. 

If the first hypothetical weekend is a wash out with cars struggling to leave the site due to mud, there’s no way they’d be able to use the car parks for weekend 2. 

The ground always recovers, regardless. Some years it takes longer and gets into a right state, but it recovers, that’s what nature does.

The first week being a washout and then struggling to put on week two because of it is a separate issue, and another reason why it wouldn’t work. But the actual act of having the festival over two weekends wouldn’t mean the ground wouldn’t recover.

Tomorrowland is a business, their interest is to gain more revenue and by expanding the festival they will do it

Glastonbury.. kind of.. is not. Their interest lies elsewhere. All they really care about is a fun successful festival. Posts here prove why weekend 2 would not be one and would take the "special" away.

Edited by eyebrain
  • Like 1