Biggest failure or disappointments

maryjane02

I think when most are presented the question they will normally recall a missed fling/opportunity with a potential spouse, or a missed investment opportunity. I did dable with bitcoins in the early days but have no regrets that I didn't hold on to them, no one would have predicted the spike they have hit.

But I do regret not investing my money more wisely in the early days of employment, you can't turn back the clock but you can make better steps going forward

From about the age of 17 and onward for a few decades I devoted my life to partying hard. I think that if I had my time again, I'd change all that. The reason for this is that in later life I was given the opportunity to travel the world a little, and realised then that I'd really missed out by spending every penny I had on drink and drugs. Not everywhere in the world is a safe or even beautiful place to visit, but there are still many areas that are. So, I would go travelling more, if I had my time again. It's something that I advise and encourage younger people to do. There's plenty of time in later life to get a serious job, mortgage (if you can afford one), have kids etc. 

1 hour ago, santowhir said:

There's surely also plenty of time after job, mortgage and kids?

That's true, but my regret is not doing it in my youth. I can't help but feel that it would be beneficial to the majority of young people to do (if they are considering it as an option). Apparently a lot of employers rate travel now as a positive thing, when considering applicants. 

56 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That's true, but my regret is not doing it in my youth. I can't help but feel that it would be beneficial to the majority of young people to do (if they are considering it as an option). Apparently a lot of employers rate travel now as a positive thing, when considering applicants. 

Yes I'm firmly in the "travel broadens the mind" park. I've dabbled in, but not gone as far as Americas or Far East. When you say travelling do you mean for months at a time? I still think you can get something from a holiday a year which is what I try and do

13 minutes ago, santowhir said:

Yes I'm firmly in the "travel broadens the mind" park. I've dabbled in, but not gone as far as Americas or Far East. When you say travelling do you mean for months at a time? I still think you can get something from a holiday a year which is what I try and do

Unfortunately I haven't travelled for months at a time, but have been lucky enough to the Far East a fair few times. I have a friend who works for British Airways, and he was able to get me Business Class returns to the Far East and Mexico for about £120 in total each trip. I enjoyed Mexico, but it was the Far East that stole my heart (especially Vietnam). I just think that young people should do it while they can (and if they can) before getting bogged down in the 9 to 5 rat race, and family thing. I'm sure if I had done it sooner, then I'd have actually been much more focused on where I wanted my life to go and be at. I would recommend that young people try it, and work their way around eg bar jobs, teaching TEFL etc. I had a blinkered viewpoint when I was younger, and would rather see the youth of today not be restricted by the same thing.

I too think you can get an awful lot from a main holiday a year. The trick is, for me, to do a shed load of research in to where it is I am going. I'm not one for sitting on a beach for two weeks in the sun drinking lager all day. I want to know about the history of a place, it's culture, taste the different food stuffs etc. I find that TripAdvisor is a great tool for this - especially the forums on there. However, you do have to be very careful with what information that you take from people on there, as not everyone is genuine. I recall that the Vietnam forum used to be like the wild west in terms of the number of bandits on there trying to self promote their businesses. I also like to take a walking guided tour, or one on a bicycle, as they can be very informative, as well as fun.

• Like 1

Google Maps is your friend, when I look at different cities I want to go to I drill down and bookmark all the locations from my PC at home that I want to go (it's a personal hobby of mine), then when I get to the destination there is no wondering around like a useless dickhead. Just fireup my phone and remember where it is that I want to explore and the directions for it ?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, santowhir said:

Google Maps is your friend, when I look at different cities I want to go to I drill down and bookmark all the locations from my PC at home that I want to go (it's a personal hobby of mine), then when I get to the destination there is no wondering around like a useless dickhead. Just fireup my phone and remember where it is that I want to explore and the directions for it ?

Unfortunately my IT / phone skills can't quite match yours, so doing that is not an option for me. I do look at google maps, but have to make hard copy print outs of them. I don't have a smart phone in any case, and would prefer it remain that way. 

Oddly enough, I once had cause to go to Malaga. However, in this instance I had no time to pre-prepare for my travel there. Anyway, I really did expect it to be like Blackpool, with kiss me quick hats and tat everywhere. I was more than pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't in the slightest bit like that, at all. Just goes to show you that pre-conceptions can be way off kilter. 

Despite the Malaga experience, I normally have time to investigate a place.  I find it really interesting to do so, and feel that it adds to the holiday. By doing this  you can arrive in a place and be fairly knowledgeable about it. So, you land running, rather than having to learn what's what when you arrive. That's just a waste of valuable and limited time, in my opinion.

Yes, but you might not be as active once you reach retirement age eg. there will be a higher incidence of ill health within that age band of people. On top of that, older people may be less able to travel further, or via modes of transport that would really only suit the young. Further again, it may be that you have to financially support your children in later life, especially if you want them to get a foot hold on the property ladder. Also, if you needed to work abroad to support your travels, you are probably going to be at a disadvantage if you are old(er).