POLL: Are Foals big enough to headline Glastonbury

fat_man_joe

Are Foals big enough to headline Glastonbury?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Are Foals big enough to headline Glastonbury?

• Yes
    • No

56 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Honestly I think from now on I’m gonna think twice about what I post. I intend to come across with a playful style but it seems like it’s misinterpreted that I’m either complaining or trying to start a fight.

I for one enjoy getting into debates because it’s a bit of a back and forth jab. I’d hate for it to be interpreted any other way.

Please don’t think I’m trying to start a fight. Most of the time I’m laughing whenever I post on this sub x

Keep being Matt42, it's what you do best. 

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Anyone with over 10k posts on efests is most likely incredibly annoying in October and June.. and July and whenever the lineup comes out.. and the first headliner.  We're just annoying. 

The truth. It hurts.

1 minute ago, kevbizarre said:

Can’t believe there are 6 pages for this! After seeing them live a number of times they just don’t have the tunes for a headline slot.

I’m a fan but no pyramid for me. 

To be fair 3 of the 6 pages have been spent on attacking/defending Matt42 in typical efest tangent style

9 hours ago, fat_man_joe said:

I have no interest in Foals, so let's settle this once and for all and start talking about something else.

Can't you of added a not yet.. Or a which stage.. 

Imo if bloody stormzy can headline after only one album etc then in reality anyone could headline BUT.. yes they could headline but they could headline the other stage not the pyramid.. Imo to headline the pyramid stage whether you like them or not they HAVE TO HAVE a really big back catalogue and have been around for a LONG time... Served there sentence.. ie blonde, the jam,, Elton,, yes led zep etc so bands like the foals who were brilliant work there way up.. 

So yes but not the pyramid slot.. 

2 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Imo if bloody stormzy can headline after only one album etc then in reality anyone could headline BUT.. yes they could headline but they could headline the other stage not the pyramid.. Imo to headline the pyramid stage whether you like them or not they HAVE TO HAVE a really big back catalogue and have been around for a LONG time... Served there sentence.. ie blonde, the jam,, Elton,, yes led zep etc so bands like the foals who were brilliant work there way up.. 

I’ll make the point again but this time with a link. Emily has stated Glastonbury needs to make headliners and of any band I think the foals should get the push

https://www.nme.com/news/music/emily-eavis-glastonbury-needs-create-headliners-stormzy-perfect-2417810

30 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

I think 2016 made it clear that a binary vote is definitely the most sensible way to do this. A complex issue with so many variables and dependents is best handled when boiled down to a simple yes or no.

And don't go blabbing on about "well what about if things change a few years down the line and people think now they are big enough. They've had multiple number 1 albums and outsold the Beatles" – the Efestivals electorate made their decision. You can't suddenly overturn that simply because circumstances have moved on and people have changed their mind.

3 minutes ago, fat_man_joe said:

I think 2016 made it clear that a binary vote is definitely the most sensible way to do this. A complex issue with so many variables and dependents is best handled when boiled down to a simple yes or no.

And don't go  on about "well what about if things change a few years down the line and people think now they are big enough. They've had multiple number 1 albums and outsold the Beatles" – the Efestivals electorate made their decision. You can't suddenly overturn that simply because circumstances have moved on and people have changed their mind.

??? 

1 hour ago, ShakeyCrash said:

I’ll make the point again but this time with a link. Emily has stated Glastonbury needs to make headliners and of any band I think the foals should get the push

https://www.nme.com/news/music/emily-eavis-glastonbury-needs-create-headliners-stormzy-perfect-2417810

I truly think you’re looking at the wrong acts for who she’s talking about.

I think she’s thinking of the stormzys, the Billie eilish’s, the Dave’s, the Taylor Swifts when she is thinking of acts that fit that mould.

Emily’s booking policy for a long time has been to give hot new up and comers a shot at the pyramid. Not indie lads who’ve been doing the same thing since 2008.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think she’s thinking of the stormzys, the Billie eilish’s, the Dave’s, the Taylor Swifts when she is thinking of acts that fit that mould.

Emily’s booking policy for a long time has been to give hot new up and comers a shot at the pyramid. Not indie lads who’ve been doing the same thing since 2008.

Agree with all of that ... except for lumping Taylor Swift in there.  She doesn’t need anyone to give her a shot.  She is 7 Albums in and has been one of the biggest pop stars on the planet for the last 7-8 years.  The others have 3 albums between them.

1 minute ago, circus92 said:

Agree with all of that ... except for lumping Taylor Swift in there.  She doesn’t need anyone to give her a shot.  She is 7 Albums in and has been one of the biggest pop stars on the planet for the last 7-8 years.  The others have 3 albums between them.

Yeah I agree. Wrong to throw Taylor in that bunch to be honest. But yeah the stormzy booking was clearly a direct move by Emily to book a new popular act which was current with the mainstream audience.

Not giving the old indie bands a shot because they’ve been around for a bit.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

To be fair act... however I see this as a new development starting with Stormzy. Can’t remember many other up and comers (unless you count Kasabian which have parallels with Foals imo), and think the criteria is having a storming Glastonbury set previously (watch out for Royal blood and Lorde). 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I agree. Wrong to throw Taylor in that bunch to be honest. But yeah the stormzy booking was clearly a direct move by Emily to book a new popular act which was current with the mainstream audience.

Not giving the old indie bands a shot because they’ve been around for a bit.

Or to draw attention to them... let’s not forget Idles have been around for a while. Point being if you shine a light on someone who people are ignorant of then they are as upcoming as the next band.

25 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

To be fair act... however I see this as a new development starting with Stormzy. Can’t remember many other up and comers (unless you count Kasabian which have parallels with Foals imo), and think the criteria is having a storming Glastonbury set previously (watch out for Royal blood and Lorde). 

Arctic Monkeys? Coldplay? Kings of Leon? Arguably had not released their best material the time they first headlined. 

Also Mumford & Sons headlined on their second album.

I know Stormzy is a bit more of a risk than those acts and might be geared towards more of a trend - but Stormzy had the benefit of being at least “known” by a lot of people. It’s rare that someone can appeal to so many different markets.

I don’t want to continue critiquing foals because it does upset some people and I’m trying to stop but (personally) I really enjoy the harmless debate. 

I think we live in a period where acts are getting bigger quicker... if that makes sense. Because of streaming you can release one album now and become a worldwide mega star, whereas in the past you’d need to have a few releases to do that.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Arctic Monkeys? Coldplay? Kings of Leon? Arguably had not released their best material the time they first headlined. 

Also Mumford & Sons headlined on their second album.

I know Stormzy is a bit more of a risk than those acts and might be geared towards more of a trend - but Stormzy had the benefit of being at least “known” by a lot of people. It’s rare that someone can appeal to so many different markets.

I don’t want to continue critiquing foals because it does upset some people and I’m trying to stop but (personally) I really enjoy the harmless debate. 

I think we live in a period where acts are getting bigger quicker... if that makes sense. Because of streaming you can release one album now and become a worldwide mega star, whereas in the past you’d need to have a few releases to do that.

The similarity is a tune... Coldplay had yellow, kings of Leon had sex is on fire, Stormzy had blinded by your grace, and artic monkeys had that dance floor one. Maybe that’s it - get one tune and the pyramid is yours my son.