Which stage will Elbow be on?

DJ Cull

I'm not sure where people are getting that they've dropped off horrendously. Some of these shouts are laughable.

They're sailing to their third consecutive number one album - the last one sold pretty close to 40k copies in its first week which is pretty damn good as things go. May not be doing 4/5 arena dates anymore but instead 20+ academy/theatre sized shows. Sure they aren't as ubiquitous anymore but they're still a well known name with a big fanbase in this country. Comparable to the Stereophonics, but actually allowed at Worthy Farm.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 2

They're back in my orbit following an ambivalent reaction to Little Fictions - it's just a bit dull. The new album seems to tick the boxes though. I see they played Switching Off and Newborn which is good - they sadly neglect far too much of their earlier stuff.

1 minute ago, Ged Devereux said:

Thoughts on the new album? Only listened the once but nothing really stood out and the singles they released from it prior didn’t really make a mark like the lead singles from Little Fictions. I’d like to see them sub the Other, least the band would get to see the sunset for a change!

Really enjoying the album, playing it to death. Definitely less commercial than recent efforts, doesn't have the big singalong to snare you in I suppose, just needs to be given time.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

(Are they big enough to headline other anymore?)

I always felt like Glastonbury gave them generously high slots because they are mates of the festival. Will they be able to go up against a major headliner and still pull a crowd?

(Yes)

All the suitable major festivals have had them sub or equivalent so I'm not sure why you thought it was just Glastonbury. The crowds are clearly still there for them, and they certainly wouldn't attract a smaller gathering than the recent sets from Christine, BBK, New Order and also half of the names  that people are throwing about for next year.

Absolutely love the new record. 

Its darker, different and more out of their comfort zone but they have nailed it again!

Went to one of the album launch gigs at the Brudenell and it was just lovely. Guy's voice is stronger than ever and the band were great!

Pyramid Subs for me before Macca!

Bloody boring apart from the song that goes on the and on and on about how good your days been or going to be.. 

What if you'd a bad day ah... Humbug already 

If they have to.. Other stage or Strummervile... Or tangerine fields.. 

Edited by guypjfreak

10 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Bloody boring apart from the song that goes on the and on and on about how good your days been or going to be.. 

What if you'd a bad day ah... Humbug already 

If they have to.. Other stage or Strummervile... Or tangerine fields.. 

Sounds like someone needs a cuddle.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm bored of it and want a bit of bombast.

Then you'll love the new one. It's pretty 'bombastic'.

Love the new one, actually. Not not songle dud. Keeping it rather short was a good decision. White Heat and My Trouble are excellent.

On Glasto I think they'll be Pyramid sub of Other head.