Glastonbury substitute?

Lou1983

On 10/16/2019 at 7:32 AM, squirrelarmy said:

I went to Sziget this year in Budapest when I didn’t get tickets. It seems to be the only festival that can compete with Glastonbury in terms of scale. I’ve been a couple of times now so can definitely recommend it. Although camping for 7 days in 36 degree heat is certainly a challenge.  

Am I right in thinking the beer's all corporate? It's the one thing that's put me off

44 minutes ago, Mackem said:

Am I right in thinking the beer's all corporate? It's the one thing that's put me off

There’s only one main beer available throughout the festival but there’s a few other options available at other bars. It’s drinkable but you do get a little bored of it. 

The plus side though is that the beers were about £1.80 each within the festival area. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After a lot of soul searching and number-crunching (alternatives over the last weekend in June proved too expensive), I'll be giving the resale a try. I'm far from confident and I'll not be despondent if it doesn't work out. My alternatives this year are Loveland in Amsterdam, Monegros Desert Festival in Spain, Creamfields (Friday) and Reading (Sunday) so even if the Big G doesn't come off, there's still plenty to look forward to

• Like 2

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

After a lot of soul searching and number-crunching (alternatives over the last weekend in June proved too expensive), I'll be giving the resale a try. I'm far from confident and I'll not be despondent if it doesn't work out. My alternatives this year are Loveland in Amsterdam, Monegros Desert Festival in Spain, Creamfields (Friday) and Reading (Sunday) so even if the Big G doesn't come off, there's still plenty to look forward to

yay .... fingers crossed for you ... your kind words helped me after my unsuccessful previous effort ... will love to say hello on the farm ... good luck 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yay .... fingers crossed for you ... your kind words helped me after my unsuccessful previous effort ... will love to say hello on the farm ... good luck 

Thank you, my friend. 

If you don't get a ticket it would be travesty but I'm certain that you will. Things generally tend to work out for our little community on here and you're about as fanatical about the farm as anyone I know and that's saying something for this website! 

For me, what will be, will be. 

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Thank you, my friend. 

If you don't get a ticket it would be travesty but I'm certain that you will. Things generally tend to work out for our little community on here and you're about as fanatical about the farm as anyone I know and that's saying something for this website! 

For me, what will be, will be. 

that potential announcement ... beats any of the others today .....quite apt for this year .... Let it be 

Edited by crazyfool1

On 10/26/2019 at 3:05 PM, Mackem said:

Sziget does have a fair few ‘corporate’ type bars but the range of drinks is brilliant for a festival. Most of the bars do a really nice cider (Kingswood?) but cocktails are also dirt cheap and ended up being what we drank most of the time. Loads of festival goers wander round with a bucket of cocktail and make friends by asking each other to try it.

I think the bar staff at Sziget are bar staff rather than volunteers like Glastonbury and they know what they are doing in terms of getting you to enjoy your drink (&spend even though its cheap!) Many if them love to play as they pour, like pouring each ingredient into your mouth to try it before they mix the drink - health & safety doesn’t live in this town!

Its a drinking rather than drug taking festival. I certainly didn’t ever feel Like they were just serving one lager!....but I also don’t think they are big on craft beers.

Apartments are cheap in Budapest & I’d definitely recommend staying in the city - the city itself is fantastic!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Glad to hear it, if you want adding to the spreadsheet drop me an email. 

Force in numbers and all that! 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, dwarfedgiant said:

It's not a fest for 'proper festival heads', it's a festival for a young crowd who are all off their heads on Ket or pills, that's all.

There's a lot of this, but there's a lot of other stuff as well - it's pretty chill in the non-psytrance forest venues, hilltop is much less ketty, Whistlers is fairly calm.  I'd argue that after Glastonbury, there's nothing else in the UK that offers the combination of scale and variety of Boomtown - and that's before you take into account the theatrical stuff.

Think we are going to do Blue Dot again. Did it in 2016 when we missed out on Glasto and it was a lovely fest, really amazing setting and nice and small and friendly. Really liked having the variety of the science talks etc too. The line-up is cracking this year so definitely tempted back. Will probably still try the resale (although harder to justify the expense) but I think I'd feel better about not having Glasto tickets if I sort myself something fun to look forward to.

On 2/13/2020 at 8:37 PM, vintagelaureate said:

Glad to hear it, if you want adding to the spreadsheet drop me an email. 

Force in numbers and all that! 

That's very kind of you but at this late stage I don't wanna muscle in on something that's been established for four months, it wouldn't be fair to those who've been on there since the beginning. I was out, procrastinated, now I'm back in again at the 10th hour. I'll figure it out. If it happens, it happens. If not, I shall live vicariously through the stories posted on here afterwards. Thanks again! 

• Upvote 1