Glastonbury substitute?

Lou1983

Boomtown is the next best festival in the U.K after Glastonbury.

However, it is for proper festival heads who like stonking underground music and getting twisted. If you only ever go to Glastonbury 'because its Glastonbury' then please don't go to Boomtown as you'll start to ruin the vibe there too.  

Most other U.K festivals are a bit lame compared to the 2 aforementioned. Shambala is alrite but during the day its really cheesy, lots of quite well off middle class parents with their kids thinking they are being so amazingly quirky and out there because they are dressed up in onesies and made a mug on a pottery wheel whilst drinking a scrumpy. It gets good after dark though, the kids are put to the bed and everyone starts getting muntered.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, timbrass said:

We are going to give Bimble Badada Near Brighton a go next year.

I noticed a festival yesterday for £50, including four days camping, at the end of May. It's called Staffest. It was in Staffordshire. I noticed there was one similar, near Hull; while I was trawling the internet last year. I think a lot of these things have tribute bands playing. The motive behind these things seems to be to promote local expenditure. So maybe people hang out in the town as much as the festival. I don't see a problem with that, their probably nice enough locations, for a short break. 

I will definitely be looking at Boomtown if I miss out on resale, a unique festival where you can get involved as little or as much as you wish. Gorgeous place, and the set up is impressive.

My group are also looking at Green man and blue dot, always fancied these two.

Someone mentioned black deer, it's a nice one...small but a good vibe.

1 hour ago, stt11 said:

I noticed a festival yesterday for £50, including four days camping, at the end of May. It's called Staffest. It was in Staffordshire. I noticed there was one similar, near Hull; while I was trawling the internet last year. I think a lot of these things have tribute bands playing. The motive behind these things seems to be to promote local expenditure. So maybe people hang out in the town as much as the festival. I don't see a problem with that, their probably nice enough locations, for a short break. 

Did you include Hull as a nice location for a short break? 

On 10/18/2019 at 10:53 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

What I want really is something incorporating elements of the Glade and West Holts. 

Then give Shindig a try. Small but very friendly and it's in a beautiful setting not too far from the Glastonbury site.

Last year had the likes of Dub Pistols, Audio Bullys, Ozmatali etc and have seen Soul2soul, Andy P and Sugarhill Gang there in the past.

Being able to leave your tent and be anywhere on site in 10mins is a wondrous thing.

Plenty of DJ's and live acts and Father Funks church is great fun.

Been the last 3 years but unfortunately can't make it next year as some extremely selfish friends have decided to get married that weekend.

18 hours ago, Homer said:

Seconded. Also think I may die of excessive dance music consumption (I’m 43 FG’sS!).

People assume that Boomtown is just a shit load of dance music are missing out.

Every year they seem to throw more non dance music into the mix- punk, folk, metal, swing, hip hop, ska, chillout- and genres I couldn't even classify, but wouldn't be dance music.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:00 AM, Charm said:

I’m going for this too. Sure it will be brilliant, don’t know why I’ve never been before as it seems perfect for me. 

Also thinking about booking Shambala,, tickets go on sale next week.

Charm x

I was going to attend this year but they took a break, this looks ideal for me also!

Regardless of whether I get tickets in the resale.

21 hours ago, joeltg said:

I was going to attend this year but they took a break, this looks ideal for me also!

Regardless of whether I get tickets in the resale.

Me too, hoping it will be one of the good things to come from missing out on tickets.

Charm x

• Upvote 1

On 10/20/2019 at 2:12 PM, H.M.V said:

Electric picnic in Ireland is a cracking festival. Miss going to it. Got Glastonbury vibes for an arena festival. New one over there called all together now looks great but not been. 

Electric picnic has good mix and rave in the woods for those who like to party. No south east corner but good craic. There are a few spots outside the arena for bands. Other voices, salty dog and trench town for your reggae. 

Not sure if it's sold out yet. Tickets tend yo fly out and go on sale literally the day after it finishes. 

Agree with all of this. Been going to Electric Picnic for years and still love it. The lineup gets a bit less exciting each year for me, but there’s usually a gem or two to be found in the undercard. It has quite a lot of sideshow type stuff as well, so even on a quieter year lineup wise I know I can just go for a wander and the hours will fly by.

I'd recommend Alltogethernow as well, although there were some major traffic issues on the Friday getting in which we luckily managed to avoid. The lineup had just about enough to keep us going but we absolutely loved every act we saw. The setting is amazing, lovely food, not too crowded and a nice variety of stages. Most of the stages are on slight slopes too which was a godsend for me being a short arse! Saw some brilliant sets there, the highlight being an intimate poetry reading/talk/acoustic set by Patti Smith in a little spoken word tent.

Edited by BAKE
  • Upvote 1

On 10/22/2019 at 12:20 AM, rumpola said:

Then give Shindig a try. Small but very friendly and it's in a beautiful setting not too far from the Glastonbury site.

Last year had the likes of Dub Pistols, Audio Bullys, Ozmatali etc and have seen Soul2soul, Andy P and Sugarhill Gang there in the past.

Being able to leave your tent and be anywhere on site in 10mins is a wondrous thing.

Plenty of DJ's and live acts and Father Funks church is great fun.

Been the last 3 years but unfortunately can't make it next year as some extremely selfish friends have decided to get married that weekend.

Thanks for the tip! Sounds a good one :)

On 10/20/2019 at 12:57 PM, Beerqueen said:

What's the view on Kendall Calling?  I've heard conflicting things - it's full of drunk teenagers a la Reading/Leeds, it's always wet or it's like Glastonbury but smaller?

A friend of mine at Kendal Calling woke to find someone had shit right outside his tent door. 

26 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The BT line up is decent, really hope the Lips turn up at Glastonbury. Also gaz, the bar stewards and the leylines!   If I hadn’t got the golden tickets this year I would be well tempted by this 

I can’t see Flaming Lips back so soon... even after their Park triumph.!

Happy with that announcement!  Hell, I'm happy with any announcement as I can now go and create a playlist to listen to!  I was in the pub with some friends when the announcement came through and they say they may be interested to go too.  Festival season is starting!

• Upvote 1