Glastonbury substitute?

Lou1983

On 10/16/2019 at 1:57 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

To be fair you guys are massively selling this to me. Just need a few names I like on the line-up and I'm sorted. There usually always is, but can't really stretch to a festival abroad and the big G most years...

I've gone on about it a bit. But last year I went to Rock-Werchter and I thought it was brilliant. There's loads of stages and the main stage was enormous.

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

They had Orbital headline this year, not sure about electronic stuff lower down the lineup though. My friend told me she only caught about 15 minutes of their set, but said it was incredible...

Or how about Bearded Theory? I've never been but another friend is convincing me to come next year. Apparently they're going to have that Arcadia Afterburner thing there too

I'm thinking of going to Boomtown. Everyone seems to say it's very Shangri-La like. I hear it's on the Matterley Estate. That, apparently, is near the Matterley Bowl, where Homelands used to be in the 90's. Something like that might be worth exploring.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Matterley bowl is part of the Matterley Estate, and is a part of the site that boomtown uses. Boomtown uses waaaaay more land than Homelands did.

I think I heard, somewhere, that it was getting bigger this year. I worry about safety though, all that dance music and special effects and stuff, seems a bit risky now people are penny pinching on costs. It does seem like a worthwhile alternative, though. 

Edited by stt11
punctuation

22 minutes ago, stt11 said:

I think I heard, somewhere, that it was getting bigger this year. I worry about safety though, all that dance music and special effects and stuff, seems a bit risky now people are penny pinching on costs. It does seem like a worthwhile alternative, though. 

Boomtown massively upped it's organisation game after the horrorshow that was the 4+ hour queues to enter in 2017.  It's actually pretty well run now, despite the outward appearence of mayhem

2 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Boomtown massively upped it's organisation game after the horrorshow that was the 4+ hour queues to enter in 2017.  It's actually pretty well run now, despite the outward appearence of mayhem

Glastonbarry is worth a visit if all else fails. cliff rescue and the helicopter headlined this year. 

18 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

What's the view on Kendall Calling?  I've heard conflicting things - it's full of drunk teenagers a la Reading/Leeds, it's always wet or it's like Glastonbury but smaller?

Nothing like Glastonbury and the lineup rarely does much for me these days but it’s still a great weekend. It’ll rain mind, it always does!

9 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Nothing like Glastonbury and the lineup rarely does much for me these days but it’s still a great weekend. It’ll rain mind, it always does!

Thanks - the lineup for the last couple of years has always had something that I can appreciate and I quite like discovering new stuff.  Just had a look and there's no campervan tickets left which might put my friend off completely.  

Back to the drawing board

2000trees - can't make that weekend (well possibly could, but will need to think about it)

Kendall Calling - unless camper van tickets go back on sale

??

Edited by Beerqueen
stupid spelling mistake!

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Thanks - the lineup for the last couple of years has always had something that I can appreciate and I quite like discovering new stuff.  Just had a look and theirs no campervan tickets left which might put my friend off completely.  

Back to the drawing board

2000trees - can't make that weekend (well possibly could, but will need to think about it)

Kendall Calling - unless camper van tickets go back on sale

??

If you’ve got kids I’d wholeheartedly recommend Deer Shed, it’s fantastic.

Electric picnic in Ireland is a cracking festival. Miss going to it. Got Glastonbury vibes for an arena festival. New one over there called all together now looks great but not been. 

Electric picnic has good mix and rave in the woods for those who like to party. No south east corner but good craic. There are a few spots outside the arena for bands. Other voices, salty dog and trench town for your reggae. 

Not sure if it's sold out yet. Tickets tend yo fly out and go on sale literally the day after it finishes. 

9 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Electric picnic in Ireland is a cracking festival. Miss going to it. Got Glastonbury vibes for an arena festival. New one over there called all together now looks great but not been. 

Electric picnic has good mix and rave in the woods for those who like to party. No south east corner but good craic. There are a few spots outside the arena for bands. Other voices, salty dog and trench town for your reggae. 

Not sure if it's sold out yet. Tickets tend yo fly out and go on sale literally the day after it finishes. 

That looks a good lineup for this year (well, those I've heard of, I like!).  But won't suit me as I already go to a festival every August bank holiday.  

7 hours ago, Quark said:

Paging @Curlygirl

I used to love Kendal Calling but have vowed not to go again. The weather is always pants but it's ok if you're prepared. The thing that's put me off is the drunk and off their faces teenagers who have no respect or festival/gig etiquette. I can normally overlook them being dicks but this year I was getting annoyed and no one should feel annoyed at a festival. Now don't get me wrong, the majority of the young ones were fab, but that small handful ruined it for me. I actually enjoyed Leeds more. I haven't read this thread (apologies) but my most favourite festival is Bearded Theory. It's small, really well managed and has a great vibe about it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Curlygirl said:

I used to love Kendal Calling but have vowed not to go again. The weather is always pants but it's ok if you're prepared. The thing that's put me off is the drunk and off their faces teenagers who have no respect or festival/gig etiquette. I can normally overlook them being dicks but this year I was getting annoyed and no one should feel annoyed at a festival. Now don't get me wrong, the majority of the young ones were fab, but that small handful ruined it for me. I actually enjoyed Leeds more. I haven't read this thread (apologies) but my most favourite festival is Bearded Theory. It's small, really well managed and has a great vibe about it. 

Hmm that makes me think KC is not for me then.  I too love BT and would love to find another festival of its ilk in late June/July to fill in my Glasto gap (if I don't get resale/volunteering.  Or maybe something a bit bigger (hence why I was thinking KC).

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Hmm that makes me think KC is not for me then.  I too love BT and would love to find another festival of its ilk in late June/July to fill in my Glasto gap (if I don't get resale/volunteering.  Or maybe something a bit bigger (hence why I was thinking KC).

I find it appealing that KC and Bearded Theory are around the £150 pound mark. It's a nice idea that, if someone does pick a Glastonbury substitute, they save about £100. Some of these festivals seem to be getting better, as well, apparently. Bearded theory has a new dance arena, this year. 

Edited by stt11
punctuation

8 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Kendal is ok, I think some of the issues is that for a lot of people in that part of the country it’s a big annual blow out/ coming of age party. 

the woods are excellent especially the silent disco amongst the trees

51 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Kendal is ok, I think some of the issues is that for a lot of people in that part of the country it’s a big annual blow out/ coming of age party. 

the woods are excellent especially the silent disco amongst the trees

Would agree with all of this. Annoyingly you have to pay an add on if you’re arriving the Thursday. It’s definitely a festival on the up crowd size and line up wise. The site is much bigger now than when we started going.

Be prepared for mud. Almost always wet.

9 hours ago, timbrass said:

We are going to give Bimble Badada Near Brighton a go next year.

I’m going for this too. Sure it will be brilliant, don’t know why I’ve never been before as it seems perfect for me. 

Also thinking about booking Shambala,, tickets go on sale next week.

Charm x

Edited by Charm