Glastonbury substitute?

Lou1983

End of the Road is a wonderful festival with a truly eclectic music mix and a lovely atmosphere. Close second Green Man - lovely setting but can be very wet.

If you fancy going abroad, NOS Primavera In Porto was fantastic last year - although (unusually) nearly as wet as Green Man.

2 minutes ago, scrippit said:

End of the Road is a wonderful festival with a truly eclectic music mix and a lovely atmosphere. Close second Green Man - lovely setting but can be very wet.

If you fancy going abroad, NOS Primavera In Porto was fantastic last year - although (unusually) nearly as wet as Green Man.

Yes, we were spoilt when we went to Green Man in 2018 as the weather was absolutely perfect! I'm guessing not the norm for that part of Wales...

Has anyone done Barca and Porto for Primavera? Wondering which is best. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Has anyone done Barca and Porto for Primavera? Wondering which is best. 

I've not done Barcelona but chose Porto because it is modest in size and the opportunity to see the city - which is wonderful in it's own right.

Anecdotally, we were told that the Barca Primavera had lost its appeal to our festival friends, having gone a bit 'teenage' in recent years.

3 minutes ago, scrippit said:

I've not done Barcelona but chose Porto because it is modest in size and the opportunity to see the city - which is wonderful in it's own right.

Anecdotally, we were told that the Barca Primavera had lost its appeal to our festival friends, having gone a bit 'teenage' in recent years.

Good info, thanks. Now you say that, I seem to remember a mate of mine years back going to both but preferring Porto too. Might ask him about it. I've been to the city of Barcelona before and really loved it and know next to nothing about Porto. So that would be a plus point. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Good info, thanks. Now you say that, I seem to remember a mate of mine years back going to both but preferring Porto too. Might ask him about it. I've been to the city of Barcelona before and really loved it and know next to nothing about Porto. So that would be a plus point. 

The Porto Primavera is in a beautiful park and the line-up is always decent. We stayed by a beach that was equidistant between the festival and the city (not far in each direction).

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The festival is in a lovely park on the outskirts, public transport is cheap and efficient throughout and it is possibly the friendliest city I have ever been to. Faded but beautiful, it's a great walking city if you like that sort of thing. Then there's the wine and port of course... Accommodation is moderately priced compared with Barcelona too. 

Just now, Homer said:

The Porto Primavera is in a beautiful park and the line-up is always decent. We stayed by a beach that was equidistant between the festival and the city (not far in each direction).

Just now, scrippit said:

The festival is in a lovely park on the outskirts, public transport is cheap and efficient throughout and it is possibly the friendliest city I have ever been to. Faded but beautiful, it's a great walking city if you like that sort of thing. Then there's the wine and port of course... Accommodation is moderately priced compared with Barcelona too. 

To be fair you guys are massively selling this to me. Just need a few names I like on the line-up and I'm sorted. There usually always is, but can't really stretch to a festival abroad and the big G most years...

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

To be fair you guys are massively selling this to me. Just need a few names I like on the line-up and I'm sorted. There usually always is, but can't really stretch to a festival abroad and the big G most years...

Worth pointing out, if you're not aware, that the Barcelona edition has a lot more on the line up. I've been tempted by the Porto edition a few times but have always gone for Barcelona as there is just so much more music and naturally Porto miss out on some of the best stuff. Of course this comes at a greater cost but Prinavera Sound is stil a steal at about €140. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Worth pointing out, if you're not aware, that the Barcelona edition has a lot more on the line up. I've been tempted by the Porto edition a few times but have always gone for Barcelona as there is just so much more music and naturally Porto miss out on some of the best stuff. Of course this comes at a greater cost but Prinavera Sound is stil a steal at about €140. 

Yeah the prices are insanely reasonable. Another plus point, although of course you need to factor in flights/accommodation.

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah the prices are insanely reasonable. Another plus point, although of course you need to factor in flights/accommodation.

Flights for Barcelona are slightly cheaper this year as it's moved dates slightly. With regards to accomodation, you'd probably need to try sort that as soon as possible as the good places go very quickly. 

On 10/16/2019 at 9:31 AM, eFestivals said:

the problem with a statement like this is that so many people see Glastonbury differently - and a festival which is like (say) the Avalon Stage is very different to a festival which is like (say) the John Peel Stage.

If you like the SE corner, try Boomtown or Shambala, if you like Avalon or Acoustic it's BD.  If you spend all your time at the Other Stage, Reading would probably do.

Yeah I've always quite fancied that one. Another potential! Not sure if they have much in the way of electronic stuff?

They had Orbital headline this year, not sure about electronic stuff lower down the lineup though. My friend told me she only caught about 15 minutes of their set, but said it was incredible...

Or how about Bearded Theory? I've never been but another friend is convincing me to come next year. Apparently they're going to have that Arcadia Afterburner thing there too

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I've always quite fancied that one. Another potential! Not sure if they have much in the way of electronic stuff?

they normally have a little bit, but not a huge amount.

The womad line-up is VERY diverse but always interesting if you're happy to explore the line-up and don't need household names.

Yeah I'm much more interested in exploring weird and wonderful stuff these days. Supernormal, another festival we usually go to (but missed tickets last year too!), usually has maybe one or two bands max on the bill I've heard of and the rest is a glorious experiment

that's pretty much my womad experience every year. :) 

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What I want really is something incorporating elements of the Glade and West Holts. 

Shambala? Chilled interesting world music, talks, yoga etc by day, giving way to ravey electronic goodness / D&B / electroswing (which is fortunately well contained and easy to avoid) etc madness by night.  One word of warning though - I saw my first naked middle aged man happily strolling around ~2hrs after the gates opened, but you may consider that a plus?