Glastonbury substitute?

Lou1983

So obviously there's nothing that compares to Glastonbury but is anyone considering going somewhere farther afield to fill the void of not getting tickets? I've done the resale before and I don't think I can put my summer on hold on a whim, any suggestions? 

I was lucky enough to get tickets this year and cannot wait, but just wanted to give Bilboa BBK a big thumbs up and would recommend.

Lineup was good last year, the festival is medium sized and was enough room with enough different tents/areas, very nice campsite with showers a proper supermarket, bar/stage and amazing views + well organised shuttle bus system to get you to the festival site but also to Bilboa city centre.

The music does not start till late i think the strokes started about 1.30am and goes on all night which was a plus for me as we would have a lay in then spend the day in the city eating, drinking, sightseeing, you can even get the metro to the beach and then make your way back and watch the music later in the day.

I went to Latitude the last two years, having missed out on tickets for this year's Glastonbury. It's a very middle class festival, but it has a very strong comedy lineup and a nice selection of up and coming musical acts too.

On the downside, the selection of beer and cider is just Carlsberg, the food is a bit limited too, and obviously there isn't the depth of choices that Glastonbury provides.

Going to wait for line-ups to come out but Green Man, Blue Dot, Primavera and End of the Road are possibilities for me. Been to the first two and they were really great. Much smaller but lovely vibe and wonderful settings. And always fancied the other two. I will likely try the resale but I want to sort an alternative if I can as I don't rate my chances and best case scenario (funds allowing) will do both.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

I went to Sziget this year in Budapest when I didn’t get tickets. It seems to be the only festival that can compete with Glastonbury in terms of scale. I’ve been a couple of times now so can definitely recommend it. Although camping for 7 days in 36 degree heat is certainly a challenge.  

58 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Going to wait for line-ups to come out but Green Man, Blue Dot, Primavera and End of the Road are possibilities for me. Been to the first two and they were really great. Much smaller but lovely vibe and wonderful settings. And always fancied the other two. I will likely try the resale but I want to sort an alternative if I can as I don't rate my chances and best case scenario (funds allowing) will do both.

You should throw Beautiful Days into the mix, check it out.  It's a very Glastonbury-like festival, much smaller though obvs

4 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

I was lucky enough to get tickets this year and cannot wait, but just wanted to give Bilboa BBK a big thumbs up and would recommend.

Lineup was good last year, the festival is medium sized and was enough room with enough different tents/areas, very nice campsite with showers a proper supermarket, bar/stage and amazing views + well organised shuttle bus system to get you to the festival site but also to Bilboa city centre.

The music does not start till late i think the strokes started about 1.30am and goes on all night which was a plus for me as we would have a lay in then spend the day in the city eating, drinking, sightseeing, you can even get the metro to the beach and then make your way back and watch the music later in the day.

Sounds similar to benicassim, goes on till 7am eh? ????? Basque Country is sweet too 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I went to Sziget this year in Budapest when I didn’t get tickets. It seems to be the only festival that can compete with Glastonbury in terms of scale. I’ve been a couple of times now so can definitely recommend it. Although camping for 7 days in 36 degree heat is certainly a challenge.  

Yeh that's pretty brutal, got a hotel for beni a few years ago, fuck camping in that it was roastin! Mind you glasto this year wasn't much cooler!! 

45 minutes ago, Skelts said:

You should throw Beautiful Days into the mix, check it out.  It's a very Glastonbury-like festival, much smaller though obvs

Cheers! Not one I've ever looked much into, but will add it to the potentials :)

I'm gutted to miss out on Glasto but it is quite liberating when you look around and see what else is out there.

I went to Black Deer Festival https://blackdeerfestival.com/ near Tunbridge Wells this Summer after missing out on GF19 tickets. It's really very small so not a comparable festival – it's also genre specific too being primarily Americana, Country and a bit of Folk but the vibe (and food) was fantastic as were all the acts I caught, many of which played GF19 too; Yola, Fantastic Negrito, Ferris & Sylvester, Jerron-Blind Boy Paxton, Billy Bragg etc. Would highly recommend if this genre suits and I'm likely to go again this year if my luck in April resales plays out as expected!  

3 minutes ago, Lou1983 said:

Yeh that's pretty brutal, got a hotel for beni a few years ago, fuck camping in that it was roastin! Mind you glasto this year wasn't much cooler!! 

I use a Quechua Fresh and Black tent. I even managed to sleep in till 11 some mornings. There were people sleeping on the beach every night as their tents were too hot. 

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I use a Quechua Fresh and Black tent. I even managed to sleep in till 11 some mornings. There were people sleeping on the beach every night as their tents were too hot. 

11am is decent! I tied a tarp between mine and mates tent and slept under that when my tent turned into a greenhouse at glasto! Don't think I could do it outside UK though! 

Just now, eFestivals said:

the problem with a statement like this is that so many people see Glastonbury differently - and a festival which is like (say) the Avalon Stage is very different to a festival which is like (say) the John Peel Stage.

Agreed.  I'd say BDs is a very Avalon-like festival.

Still love it mind, looks like I'll be doing that with my brother again next year as well as GF.

@Zoo Music Girl - @me if you've got any questions about it, only been once in 2018 but happy to give you the view :)

19 minutes ago, Lou1983 said:

Aye, we did the apartments for Beni.  The hell with camping in that!

Just now, Quark said:

Agreed.  I'd say BDs is a very Avalon-like festival.

Still love it mind, looks like I'll be doing that with my brother again next year as well as GF.

@Zoo Music Girl - @me if you've got any questions about it, only been once in 2018 but happy to give you the view :)

Cheers! I do love Avalon, although to be honest we probably want to find something with a tad more electronic music on the go (especially my other half). All options very much open though!

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the problem with a statement like this is that so many people see Glastonbury differently - and a festival which is like (say) the Avalon Stage is very different to a festival which is like (say) the John Peel Stage.

I get it though, although I'm not looking for a festival the same as Glastonbury, but one which is as satisfying ? kinda thinking it might be a weird blessing not getting tickets, enjoyed this year so much more cause we'd had a break, although I'd not be saying that if I had tickets I reckon??

Really enjoyed Sziget this year. Not the most amazing line up but well run & lots of kitsch things to do on the island. Booked Air BnB so we could explore the city during the day then head in about 5/6ish for the main acts. Well run festival, app on your phone allowed you to top up your festival wristband for drinks & food, surprisingly easy to use even whilst at the festival. The food was great there, I wanted to try lots of things. Metro/tram to get there was really easy. Only issue we had was leaving the island after Ed Sheeran as there is only one bridge in and out. I wanted to stay later to wait for the day ticket holders to leave but OH was shattered and just wanted to leave. Heard reports the crowds leaving only got worse and were quite dangerous. Young crowd the days we were there but I expect it would be more varied at the weekend for Foo’s and people off work.

Cheap too.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

That's very true.  What I meant though is that it looks/feels like Glastonbury, in that you can take your own alcohol in, there's no arena, the food stalls are similar, flags are similar etc, even the Bimble Inn is there.  And it has the positive that you can review the line up before you book, to see if it's to your tastes.

I've been twice now and wouldn't miss it again.