How to find your tent and friends

Simonsaid

Like a sailor navigating by the stars, I navigate by the flags at the campsites.

The easiest thing I've found with directing  / finding friends in crowds and stages is triangulating yourself with signs / stalls and bars though the directions end up reading like a poorly written treasure map - "Find the green bar, stand infront of the "A" in "bar", walk forward until you find us.  If you are underneath the Crane, you have gone to far"

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I have the app (in case of emergency when off-road cycling) but, as said above, the old ways are the best at a festival. 

Yep. Seen & done some amazing stuff when I've not been able to find people and just ended up giving up and buggering off on my own :D

I tried using location sharing on google maps last year. Whilst this have proven to be excellent on many nights out with large groups of us the data networks were flaky at best at Glasto and peoples location rarely updating.

Making calls and SMS seemed fine tho so i think the best option is What3words

Finding out tent is never an issue as we always camp in the same spot every year.

The nightmare is when you leave your friends in a crowd to go to the bar/toilet etc and swear you know where they’re stood her struggle to get back.

I remember one year I told my friend I was “by where he left us, under a flag with a yellow smiley face”. As soon as I said that the person carrying the flag moved - at a fairly impressive pace it has to be said! I genuinely didn’t know whether to walk with them and hope my friend was doing the same or stay where my mate had left us and hope he hadn’t gone wandering with the smiley face :lol: 

7 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Finding out tent is never an issue as we always camp in the same spot every year.

The nightmare is when you leave your friends in a crowd to go to the bar/toilet etc and swear you know where they’re stood her struggle to get back.

I remember one year I told my friend I was “by where he left us, under a flag with a yellow smiley face”. As soon as I said that the person carrying the flag moved - at a fairly impressive pace it has to be said! I genuinely didn’t know whether to walk with them and hope my friend was doing the same or stay where my mate had left us and hope he hadn’t gone wandering with the smiley face :lol: 

beware of smiley faces :) 

3 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

use a ball of string

One year our group toyed with dressing up as mountain rescue and having a 10 metre safety rope that we could clip on to with a carabiner. 

Alf was certain that this would mean nobody could get lost or wander off from the group while on a bimble and could not accept that 10 to 20 people all attached to each other would not end in injuries to all connected or near the 10 metre rope of death.

I think the idea needs to be finessed somewhat before it gets viable

• Upvote 1