How to find your tent and friends

Simonsaid

Hello I’m not in any way affiliated with the following free app but I downloaded it out of interest and think it might be perfect for logging where one leaves a tent or arranges to meet a friend. (I remember when I used to have to leave a handwritten message on the message board in the hope a passing friend would notice it and read it so the following seems pretty useful to me) the app is called WHAT3WORDS and allows you to use three words to tag gps coordinates and share them with friends or yourself. 
naturally if your friends are all on iOS devices you can use Find My but as this works cross-platform it might be useful. 
Anyway, if you have better ideas please let me know. Simon. 

F4953E9E-FB5A-40E4-929D-A8678C97CA1B.png

Interesting app but you need you and your friend’s to have a smartphone which not everyone brings to Glasto. 

The easy method is take a flag or unique object on top of a pole. Don’t have to worry about battery levels or losing a £1000 device. It’s always been the best way of finding someone in a crowd. 

Or you could try and spot someone in a silly hat that lights up and wait near them. Works great in the evening to find people. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Interesting app but you need you and your friend’s to have a smartphone which not everyone brings to Glasto. 

The easy method is take a flag or unique object on top of a pole. Don’t have to worry about battery levels or losing a £1000 device. It’s always been the best way of finding someone in a crowd. 

Or you could try and spot someone in a silly hat that lights up and wait near them. Works great in the evening to find people. 

i havent bumped into @crazyfool1in 10 years at Glastonbury, let alone used him as a meeting point....

7 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

I started using a solar lights (fairy lights) and having them on top of my tent so I can find it, then turn them off when I go to bed.

These work a treat, we have a flag attached to the top of our tent in the crew field but we usually have no issue finding it after a few return visits, it's more for when our friends arrive or when we get back on the first couple of days and you find that a lot more tents have popped up around you. 

The lights do work a treat late at night, 

The worst thing is when you put it up early in the morning and think ah I’ve got this! Then you stroll on and enjoy an entire day out, come back around 4am and all these other fucking tents are there!

I actually contemplated sleeping at stone circle lol.

Edited by Matt42

52 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The worst thing is when you put it up early in the morning and think ah I’ve got this! Then you stroll on and enjoy an entire day out, come back around 4am and all these other fucking tents are there!

I actually contemplated sleeping at stone circle lol.

This happened to me in 2017 on the Wednesday, got set up and sorted by 11am, got back at 10pm and there were loads of new tents including 3 tents of the exact same type as mine and 1 the exact same as my friends all within a 10 tent area. Met some lovely people though.

For this year I'm gonna add a string of LEDs that I turn on when I'm out and then off when I'm done for the evening. I then go 'whats nearest tent that's recognisable/flag, point of interest/walk way that looks different, etc' There's also a location point on the EE app that works well. 

One of the problems with What 3 Words is it is privately owned software, the property of a company.

At the moment they are on a growth and promotion phase and offering it for free. I have seen too many "hey I just found this new app" posts about this year. We have a newbie starting the thread here, and a similar one in the IOW chats.

So for now, it all looks ace, with heart-warming stories of lost people being found. However, make no mistake, this company needs to monetise this. My concern is that once everyone is using it and it becomes part of the internet, people will need to start paying for it. My concern would be that individual users will always get it for free, but emergency services will be the ones charged a rate for it. I have no insight into if this is definitely happening, but just looking at how internet companies monetize their product in the past.

So yeah, take a flag.

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Interesting idea, but you need to carry a great big bloody flag about with you, which not everyone brings to Glasto.

Sorry ;)

EDIT: Hang on, you're talking about the tent, not meeting people in general aren't you?  Then a flag is a fine idea and I'm a wally.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Interesting idea, but you need to carry a great big bloody flag about with you, which not everyone brings to Glasto.

Sorry ;)

Don’t want to start the flags at Glasto debate again but there’s definitely enough people who do bring them for people to use them as landmarks in crowds so you don’t really need to bring one yourself, just stand near someone who does. 

28 minutes ago, glastofun said:

The last time I was at Glastonbury was 2009, and signal issues meant you couldn’t rely on any methods involving your phone. Has this improved since? 

definitely a lot better ... but still not to be relied on ... first thing in the morning was great for a signal though :) 

44 minutes ago, glastofun said:

The last time I was at Glastonbury was 2009, and signal issues meant you couldn’t rely on any methods involving your phone. Has this improved since? 

I had no issues at all this year. Even managed to stream some bbc coverage from within my van!