Vendor/Shop Costs Onsite (need help budgeting please!)

beefykoala

Hello! I am trying to put together a rough budget - I'm flying from the US with two Americans who have never done a Glastonbury before - and we're trying to figure out the cost of bringing things vs. buying them on site (we'd donate them to charity shops after, don't worry!). As we'll be on the coach, we might also buy things for our friends to drive in with, but I want to make sure we're covered if we get on site and still need the important items (aka if my reliable friends forget to bring everything!).

Does anyone have rough costs/availability for the following items on site?

• Sleeping bag
  • Pillow
  • Wellies
  • Box of wine or pack of beer
  • Thick socks
  • Durable rain poncho
  • Replacement trousers/shirt if ours... IDK... fall down the long drops or something.
  • Other things we might wanna buy there on a 'if the weather turns' basis.

I'm basically just trying to think worst case scenario so we don't feel the pressure to overpack! Thank you!!!

One thing you can't buy on site is multi packs of alcohol. But you can bring as much as you can in with you. I have friends who have left site during the festival to buy alcohol and got lifts to and from the local supermarkets from kind passers by but it's a really long walk and even with lifts it's a few hours worth of trip. 

Would be really worth buying that and bringing it with you if you bring nothing else but the clothes in your back and a tent. 

Edited by I feel like Pablo

Which coach are you getting? If you are in town the night before stocking up would be pretty easy, most town will have a shop (or there will be one within walking distance) that will sell you beer/wine boxes etc. If you are in a larger town you could likely get everything you need before getting the coach.

If you are confined to the coach, you could get the Bus to Shepton from Gate A on e.g. Wednesday afternoon, there is a Tesco supermarket right by the bus stop, couple of hours off site (bus to Tesco, shop, bus back to site - easy) and you could get everything you need (with the possible exception of wellies)

That said, I would bring a pillow case and just stuff my clothes into in rather than getting a pillow and bring a proper waterproof coat rather than buying on site.

Spare clothes wise, there are a few Military Surplus shops on site and they'll sell you random bits for really cheap prices, t shirts £5 and under, army surplus trousers were cheap too. They had some good surplus goretex jackets for £20-30 also. Also noticed that, should you wish to go super budget, some people up in the green fields area had a blankets on the ground flogging second hand clothes for next to nothing.

Edited by TheNewUnion
more infos
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

Which coach are you getting? If you are in town the night before stocking up would be pretty easy, most town will have a shop (or there will be one within walking distance) that will sell you beer/wine boxes etc. If you are in a larger town you could likely get everything you need before getting the coach.

If you are confined to the coach, you could get the Bus to Shepton from Gate A on e.g. Wednesday afternoon, there is a Tesco supermarket right by the bus stop, couple of hours off site (bus to Tesco, shop, bus back to site - easy) and you could get everything you need (with the possible exception of wellies)

That said, I would bring a pillow case and just stuff my clothes into in rather than getting a pillow and bring a proper waterproof coat rather than buying on site.

Spare clothes wise, there are a few Military Surplus shops on site and they'll sell you random bits for really cheap prices, t shirts £5 and under, army surplus trousers were cheap too. They had some good surplus goretex jackets for £20-30 also. Also noticed that, should you wish to go super budget, some people up in the green fields area had a blankets on the ground flogging second hand clothes for next to nothing.

Theres a sports direct /New Look/Argos/Lidl all within a couple of minues (over the road or along the same strip ) as the tesco so pretty much anything can be purchsed

On 10/15/2019 at 4:45 AM, TheNewUnion said:

This is perfect! Thank you so much for the thoughtful answer!

On 10/14/2019 at 8:54 PM, beefykoala said:

I'm basically just trying to think worst case scenario so we don't feel the pressure to overpack! Thank you!!!

Keep your eye on the weather forecasts before you travel. This will give you an idea what to pack. Always useful to pack a fleece or jumper as Glasto can get a bit nippy at night, especially if the weather's moist. 

5 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

You really don't want to be wasting hours of festival time going off-site to buy stuff. You should be able to buy those things near wherever your coach departs from, eg the day before.

Yeah that's what we're thinking. The question then becomes is there a way to donate things inside the fest? If we overbuy while we're there, I want to make sure we don't risk having too much stuff to pack out with us - I'm one of the good eggs who leaves no trace.

19 hours ago, beefykoala said:

Yeah that's what we're thinking. The question then becomes is there a way to donate things inside the fest? If we overbuy while we're there, I want to make sure we don't risk having too much stuff to pack out with us - I'm one of the good eggs who leaves no trace.

Not that I’m aware of inside the fest. Though there are plenty of people working for Oxfam who might take it; if not, most of what you list would be accepted by any charity shop, which should be easy to find in the days after.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are staying in London before the festival, you can also seek out a Decathlon, which is decent quality at a reasonable price.

Also (sorry everyone!) - really consider some boots rather than wellies.  You'll be walking 10+ miles and spending 16+ hours a day on your feet.  Wellies are great for the wet, but not massively forgiving.  Alternatively, get some foam or gel insoles for them, to give yourself a fighting chance!

19 hours ago, jfaragher said:

Also (sorry everyone!) - really consider some boots rather than wellies.  You'll be walking 10+ miles and spending 16+ hours a day on your feet.  Wellies are great for the wet, but not massively forgiving.  Alternatively, get some foam or gel insoles for them, to give yourself a fighting chance!

In addition to boots, consider investing in some sealskinz waterproof socks 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEALSKINZ-Unisex-Waterproof-Weather-Length/dp/B07R8WT9DJ/ref=sr_1_6?adgrpid=54854177482&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2L7xgNXD5QIVl53VCh28dAjdEAAYAiAAEgJ3N_D_BwE&hvadid=259047136544&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046537&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11761951144542913469&hvtargid=kwd-297145575105&hydadcr=170_1786935&keywords=sealskinz&qid=1572427529&sr=8-6

They may be a bit pricey but they are worth it.  If it is a wet year, a pair of them with some reasonable walking boots should keep you drier and more comfortable than being in wellies.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Though there are plenty of people working for Oxfam who might take it

That might not be a bad shout tbh, I'm sure with the amount of people on here there's bound to be someone who would be interested in taking your tent/excess camping supplies.  Though it then does raise the issue of organising the tent handover

I met a bloke in the "F@ck off Café" top of The Big Ground 1989 (?) wearing nothing but a pair of Y fronts and an oversized Brown fur Top Hat. 

He had walked out of his job in central London, hitched all the way with nothing but the suit on his back and no money, jumped the fence, went to the first Glasto rave proper at the sugarlump tent, popped his first bean for free, copped off with a girl for a bunk up,  left her tent to go for a slash and couldn't find his way back spangled so lost everything.

Someone gave him the hat, I gave him a packet of Bourbon Biscuits and bought him a hot coffee.   

Now THATS the way to do it...…………….