If you only do one thing at Glastonbury make sure you...

vardyvarvar

9 hours ago, vardyvarvar said:

Did anyone go to the wormhole this year? There was always a big queue when we tried but the music always sounded class.

We went, tied it in with Arcadia so arrived around midnight, walked straight in, had some cocktails, watched The Comet Is Coming close up, awesome saxophone, and a memorable walk back late on. 

Also, for something absolutely different to do at the festival, went to the early morning Pilates class in The Wormhole, now there’s a challenge! 

Edited by Avalon_Fields

12 hours ago, vardyvarvar said:

As the title suggests, what’s the one thing you would tell a newcomer to do...

Mine would be go to the bar called “BAR” (wooden sign opposite William’s Green tent), buy some frozen margaritas, and rock out to some cheese music!

i really don't need to read beyond the first post - just go with this one! ? 

12 hours ago, vardyvarvar said:

Definitely agree with this one. Queued up for the not so secret underground jazz bar for over 30mins and the queue didn’t move. Turned out the irish guys manning the exit were just letting people in/out there whenever they fancied.

years ago if you found this place it really was a treat - now its pretty much the most pointless crappy thing at the festival.

you walk past now and there are massive queues of people waiting to get in... for what?

i realise this very probably sounds like a "it was better in the old days" moan, but i really don't mean it in that way - there really are a million better things to do at Glastonbury than waste your time queueing for what is now nothing more than a tourist trap.

sex

now that I've got your attention, if you go the East entrance via car get there for 3/4am and wait in the queues with drinks for the doors to open with your family and friends, the mood is fantastic

Id say do a full circuit of the festival, on the Wednesday, while your still relatively fresh, as once it gets busy, you will find that there's areas that you never knew existed, as you might get attracted to one certain area, and keep returning without giving other areas a go

Edited by waynewdk

13 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Exactly! I'm sure my rum and coke was in an unmarked 3L bottle... there were many alcoholic trades during the time I was there!

Also refreshers vodka sounds fantastic so I'm gonna have to find you at next years meet clearly! Can I put an order in now or should I wait until the new year?

Undecided whether I can be arsed to make any this time round, but if I do I'll come find you :)

If you want to do your own it's dead simple. Bottle of vodka and break refreshers sweets into it! Give it plenty of time and keep turning it as they take a while to dissolve, although you can speed it up by putting it through a dishwasher cycle to heat it (never done that one myself).

I think I used about 3.5 packs of refreshers for a 70cl bottle, but adjust it to taste.  That's why it's good to give yourself time; you can add but you can't take it away!

Once it's all dissolved and you're happy with it, run it through coffee filter papers a few times to take out all the non-soluble sediment and you're done.

Principle's the same for any boiled sweet really, so might end up trying some different ones next year :)

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, rawrsomesauce said:

Took me long enough, but I finally visited Brothers Bar for the first time this year; safe to say I made several more visits over the course of the weekend... so therefore, make sure you go to Brothers Bar. 

Brothers bar frequently resolves clashes for our group ? "Well if we see so and so, we could get a brothers on the way.."

9 minutes ago, vardyvarvar said:

If putting something in the bin, pick up a further 3 items off the ground that belong in the bin. It requires minimal effort as you’re going anyway.

We only need ~25% of people with this attitude and we’ll be giving the litter pickers plenty of time to enjoy a cider.

This would be much appreciated from myself and others within my team. 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Undecided whether I can be arsed to make any this time round, but if I do I'll come find you :)

If you want to do your own it's dead simple. Bottle of vodka and break refreshers sweets into it! Give it plenty of time and keep turning it as they take a while to dissolve, although you can speed it up by putting it through a dishwasher cycle to heat it (never done that one myself).

I think I used about 3.5 packs of refreshers for a 70cl bottle, but adjust it to taste.  That's why it's good to give yourself time; you can add but you can't take it away!

Once it's all dissolved and you're happy with it, run it through coffee filter papers a few times to take out all the non-soluble sediment and you're done.

Principle's the same for any boiled sweet really, so might end up trying some different ones next year :)

Awesome, thanks!

I’ll do a couple of practice runs of making it over the next 6 months and if it’s to an acceptable standard I’ll bring some along! 

My friend made some Werthers vodka this year. Delicious and deadly. 

Just now, DareToDibble said:

It's very deadly. Made some in about 2014 / 2015. Very, very smooth and easy to drink considering it was straight Vodka. Think I drank nearly a full 70cl over the course of a day and was near-blind by the end of the evening. Possibly still hungover from that year.

Might make some more for 2020! 

41 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Awesome, thanks!

I’ll do a couple of practice runs of making it over the next 6 months and if it’s to an acceptable standard I’ll bring some along! 

38 minutes ago, pentura said:

It's very deadly. Made some in about 2014 / 2015. Very, very smooth and easy to drink considering it was straight Vodka. Think I drank nearly a full 70cl over the course of a day and was near-blind by the end of the evening. Possibly still hungover from that year.

Might make some more for 2020! 

Yep I did that one as well, took them both along to the meet.  The refreshers one is more noticeably vodka-based, so it didn't go as quickly.  The werthers one is like drinking a milkshake and it was absolutely lethal :lol: