If you only do one thing at Glastonbury make sure you...

vardyvarvar

On 10/14/2019 at 8:00 PM, vardyvarvar said:

As the title suggests, what’s the one thing you would tell a newcomer to do...

Mine would be go to the bar called “BAR” (wooden sign opposite William’s Green tent), buy some frozen margaritas, and rock out to some cheese music!

Those frozen margaritas saved my life and drained my wallet on Friday this year. 

14 hours ago, Digi said:

Make something in the craft fields. This year was the first year I've ever done it and I wound up making a silver bangle with the dude from Homes Under the Hammer. It wasn't cheap but I wear it all the time and it's a lovely reminder. I engraved it myself with some lyrics so the grand plan is to make it a bit of a tradition every year and engrave it with different lyrics each time of a band or artist I've seen that year at the festival ?

Writing and bangle is a bit wonky but I love it considering I am shit at anything remotely creative

20190627_123444.jpg

I can second this, our group came away with some suspiciously penis-shaped turned wood carvings

2 minutes ago, vardyvarvar said:

We’re taking 2x newbie’s this year so I share your excitement...

”I can show you the world”

It's gunna be such an amazing feeling!!! I've never taken a newbie before! I think he thinks I'm a bit crazy haha I keep telling him "you'll understand when you get there!"

They haven't a clue just how incredible it's gunna be do they!!!! :D

I remember my first festival (was actually Reading) and we were lugging our kit in and this guy had about 8 crates of cider on a Hannibal Lector “L” trolley. I said wow look at all that cider, that’s a great effort. He said thanks mate, do you want one?

He then proceeded to hand me a cider and that was when I genuinely understood what festivals were all about.

For me, Glasto is that x100... and I am so excited!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, vardyvarvar said:

One of my disappointments at present is that our proposed newbies were all unsuccessful. Although we've got a couple of 2nd timers which is almost as good - they've never seen Wheel of Four Tunes!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vardyvarvar said:

I took my best mate this year for his first Glasto. I had built him up since failing to get tickets in the main sale, trying to explain the scale and size of the festival, how it would blow him away and explaining how desperate it is just to get tickets in the first place - he was fairly nonplussed about it all.
Then after getting tickets in the resale (which he didn't help with!), arranging everything from the campervan hire to supplies and explaining we HAD to get there on Tuesday for a good pitch....nonplussed.

Finally, after getting to Glasto on the Tuesday, spending Wednesday and Thursday exploring, Friday the music started, and by then (and after walking about 100km!) he was well and truly immersed in Glastonbury.
Took him up Strummersville on Saturday and on the hill there, where you pretty much see the whole place lit up, he broke down and had a good cry!

"Mate..." he says, "...everything you told me over the last year, I totally get it now. I totally get why you were screaming at me about getting tickets and why you come here on your own before. This place is just f****ing incredible."

You and I all know this, of course. Its just seeing a mate 'get it' is a proud parenting moment. Like seeing your kid take their first steps!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Digi said:

Make something in the craft fields. This year was the first year I've ever done it and I wound up making a silver bangle with the dude from Homes Under the Hammer. It wasn't cheap but I wear it all the time and it's a lovely reminder. I engraved it myself with some lyrics so the grand plan is to make it a bit of a tradition every year and engrave it with different lyrics each time of a band or artist I've seen that year at the festival ?

Writing and bangle is a bit wonky but I love it considering I am shit at anything remotely creative

20190627_123444.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to do this?

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

One of my disappointments at present is that our proposed newbies were all unsuccessful. Although we've got a couple of 2nd timers which is almost as good - they've never seen Wheel of Four Tunes!

Let’s hope they are back next year! They were missed this year.

15 minutes ago, Gilb said:

I took my best mate this year for his first Glasto. I had built him up since failing to get tickets in the main sale, trying to explain the scale and size of the festival, how it would blow him away and explaining how desperate it is just to get tickets in the first place - he was fairly nonplussed about it all.
Then after getting tickets in the resale (which he didn't help with!), arranging everything from the campervan hire to supplies and explaining we HAD to get there on Tuesday for a good pitch....nonplussed.

Finally, after getting to Glasto on the Tuesday, spending Wednesday and Thursday exploring, Friday the music started, and by then (and after walking about 100km!) he was well and truly immersed in Glastonbury.
Took him up Strummersville on Saturday and on the hill there, where you pretty much see the whole place lit up, he broke down and had a good cry!

"Mate..." he says, "...everything you told me over the last year, I totally get it now. I totally get why you were screaming at me about getting tickets and why you come here on your own before. This place is just f****ing incredible."

You and I all know this, of course. Its just seeing a mate 'get it' is a proud parenting moment. Like seeing your kid take their first steps!

I am honestly so SO excited to see this happen for my boyfriend!!

I think he thinks im a little bit crazy atm, and no matter how much I say "you'll understand when we get there" I don't think he really believes that he will.

But he will :)

Its a shame tho, cos I feel like he's missing all the build up because he doesn't understand yet!!

2 hours ago, vardyvarvar said:

I remember my first festival (was actually Reading) and we were lugging our kit in and this guy had about 8 crates of cider on a Hannibal Lector “L” trolley. I said wow look at all that cider, that’s a great effort. He said thanks mate, do you want one?

He then proceeded to hand me a cider and that was when I genuinely understood what festivals were all about.

For me, Glasto is that x100... and I am so excited!

Bumped into a chap on the Wed 2017 as I was wandering around. Was his first time at the festival, was telling me him and one of his mates from school decided they should do something for their respective 40ths so this was their choice.  Had a chat, and he very uncertainly asked me about being able to buy some smokeables.  I didn't have anything to sell as I just have my own, but had a load of pre-rolls in my bag so I just gave him a couple of those to take with him.

He was genuinely amazed that anyone was that willing to just share it around, gave me a big hug and bounced off on his merry way.  Proably made my day as much as it did his :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AtomsForPizza said:

Catch a set by Mik Artistik and/or Lekiddo Lord of the Lobsters on Wednesday or Thursday. 

Would have said eat a Growler but think this is long gone now? 

is it gone??

I thought it was still a thing!! (I didn't go this year tho, so I could be wrong)

6 hours ago, SiJo86 said:

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to do this?

It was 60 quid so not cheap. Took around 2 hours to make from a straight bar of silver. It is really heavy and solid though and it was a great couple of hours spent with my friend and something we will probably do again together next year too 

On 10/14/2019 at 8:00 PM, vardyvarvar said:

As the title suggests, what’s the one thing you would tell a newcomer to do...

Mine would be go to the bar called “BAR” (wooden sign opposite William’s Green tent), buy some frozen margaritas, and rock out to some cheese music!

Take your shit home.. After being thankful that you got tickets and sitting up top of row mead having drinks with old friends.. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/17/2019 at 1:29 PM, Wellyboot said:

is it gone??

I thought it was still a thing!! (I didn't go this year tho, so I could be wrong)

I didn't go this year, but think it was gone in 2017. I think the van that sold the Growler got into some dispute with the festival. 

My friend once managed to convert a 'Serena Slam' of Growlers (dinner, breakfast, lunch - over two days) into a Grand Slam by having it for breakfast, lunch and dinner on the same day. 

On 10/17/2019 at 9:38 AM, Wellyboot said:

This year will be my boyfriend's first Glastonbury (my 10th) and this thread is making me SO excited for him!!

On 10/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, vardyvarvar said:

Don't forget to send them off on their own to get lost for a few hours.  I took a friend for the first time years ago, and I was so excited to show them EVERYTHING that I dragged them around, and stopped them finding their own fun.  Fortunately they were a good enough friend that they could tell me to stop, and that they were going to wander and meet me at Brothers  later. 

Edited by jfaragher