What have you seen at other festivals that could work for Glasto?

squirrelarmy

2 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

Yeah what was the system they have (or used to as I haven't attended in about 15 years) at Reading with collecting cups for a beer or something?

10p for every cup you brought back. I saw quite a few children walking round with huge stacks of cups in their hands this year seems like a good incentive IMO

I'm sure there's gonna be something fairly glaringly wrong in my logic, but wouldn't there be more of an incentive to return a cup if the "deposit" for it was higher? If you're gonna be selling pints for a fiver, make people pay a tenner and they can get the fiver back if they bring the cup back later on.

3 minutes ago, y0ungtitan said:

I'm sure there's gonna be something fairly glaringly wrong in my logic, but wouldn't there be more of an incentive to return a cup if the "deposit" for it was higher? If you're gonna be selling pints for a fiver, make people pay a tenner and they can get the fiver back if they bring the cup back later on.

The issue isn’t really getting the cups returned. Definitely easy to do with the green attitude of the festival. The hard part is getting them all washed and back in circulation due to the small spaces behind each bar. 

The showers at Latitude. Close to the campsites (although it's a small site overall, so it could hardly be as far away as the Greenpeace showers are from the northwest corner), and with a much higher capacity than those at Glastonbury despite serving a significantly smaller number of people. Even if I had to pay, being able to shower on a daily basis would be a godsend.

46 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The issue isn’t really getting the cups returned. Definitely easy to do with the green attitude of the festival. The hard part is getting them all washed and back in circulation due to the small spaces behind each bar.

...and the piss poor plumbing (which is only to be expected of course).

I worked on the Stonebridge bar this year and having separate  queues for cash and those paying on card (when we were busy) would have helped things massively. 

we only had 4 PDQ machines for the entire bar and wasted a lot of time waiting around for one to be free! 

On 10/14/2019 at 5:34 PM, Northtim said:

I loved the Steel Cups but agree with others it was frustrating they had to be filled by pouring from a paper pint cup.

On other ideas - I'd like to see Other Stage get the big screens that were used at Reading this year

Reading-Master-Social-2020.png

The screens were brilliant at Leeds this year

10 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I worked on the Stonebridge bar this year and having separate  queues for cash and those paying on card (when we were busy) would have helped things massively. 

we only had 4 PDQ machines for the entire bar and wasted a lot of time waiting around for one to be free! 

You're assuming that  people would read the signs telling them where to queue. And then think that it applied to them. 

15 hours ago, y0ungtitan said:

as posted previously 'GFL was asked by the WBC  some Years ago if they could use their own ' Reusable Cups ' { as used at Latitude for many years } which would have a £1 deposit but that was rejected by GFL for reasons unknown.'

15 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

as posted previously '  No one would attempt to try and wash them at the event

you would need - 5 times the size of a back bar ' and at least double the staff ' - it just would not be practical.

There would be no room for the festival as the bars would be massive.

Amazingly all these used Reusable Cups were transported by a whole team of articulated trucks to Germany as at the time there was no plant large enough to sterilise them in the UK.'

----------

To give you some idea of the scale - the WBC had to have a large area to store all the boxes - within the Production area of Latitude 

one area - the size of a tennis court - were for new Cups

second area - the size of a tennis court was used to store the used cups

No bar Operator would attempt to wash them onsite as it would be a impossible task to make sure they were 100% clean.

Those kind of logistics would only work if all the bars were circulated around a central hub. You potentially have that at Glasto with the area between the Pyramid and Other stage but all the other bars further away would struggle to keep their supply of cups stocked up especially if the ground conditions weren’t the best. 

I’ll have to find out what Sziget did in terms of washing the cups. I have a feeling they were just rinsed badly at each bar before handed back out. The bars on the island were very well spread out there but they also stocked cans too to supplement the draft beer. 

More cans for sale and keeping them sealed does seem like the only way to improve the service. Not for every bar though, I still want pints at the Cider Bus. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Those kind of logistics would only work if all the bars were circulated around a central hub. You potentially have that at Glasto with the area between the Pyramid and Other stage but all the other bars further away would struggle to keep their supply of cups stocked up especially if the ground conditions weren’t the best. 

I’ll have to find out what Sziget did in terms of washing the cups. I have a feeling they were just rinsed badly at each bar before handed back out. The bars on the island were very well spread out there but they also stocked cans too to supplement the draft beer. 

More cans for sale and keeping them sealed does seem like the only way to improve the service. Not for every bar though, I still want pints at the Cider Bus. 

Personally I'd hate to buy cans, though. I like a fresh pint. Also you know they would still cost a fiver for less than a pint (seen this at London day festivals). 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Personally I'd hate to buy cans, though. I like a fresh pint. Also you know they would still cost a fiver for less than a pint (seen this at London day festivals). 

Nothing beats a pint but when you’re buying for multiple people and have to get yourself back through a crazy crowd, being able to fill a small bag with 8 ice cold cans is fantastic. 

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Nothing beats a pint but when you’re buying for multiple people and have to get yourself back through a crazy crowd, being able to fill a small bag with 8 ice cold cans is fantastic. 

There's only two of us generally, so I don't have that issue. Wouldn't appeal at all. 

34 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

This is so true, it's a god send when doing the bar run to be able to buy cans. I don't really see a negative to it personally.

On 10/15/2019 at 9:10 AM, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

reggae.

they were on the right track with The Blues stage for a while - but they ruined that.

they definitely made an effort a couple of years ago with the Greenhouse stage - but it wasn't done particularly well and needed some work but there was definitely potential there - but instead of that they sacked it off.

just get Instrument of Jah to bring the Dubshack from One Love festival - stick it in the corner somewhere and there you go. sorted. 

Or the Tangled Roots lot from Boomtown.  Three (I think) different soundsytems whose engineers turn it into one massive soundsystem and get loads of people to play on it.

/edit or the Roots Yard people from Shambala for that matter, or just get Mungo's / Jah Shaka / On-U to curate a day each somewhere

Edited by jfaragher

Rubbish bins behind the crush barriers. 

Also why isn't there a crush barrier running from the stage to sound-desk like at a lot of other festivals? It would stop a lot of through traffic and sideways crowd surges.

I know it would mean you'd have to go behind the sound-desk to get from one side to the other but I don't see that as a major issue (or it could be opened between acts).

Controversial - No flags or seats allowed beyond front crush barrier. I like flags but when you're only 10 people away from the stage and still can't see because there's a flag in the way it's a bit shit. Been to a few festivals where there was a "seat-free" zone with the boundary marked out with poles and coloured spray on the floor, anyone seated inside that area were told to stand or move by security.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Rubbish bins behind the crush barriers. 

Also why isn't there a crush barrier running from the stage to sound-desk like at a lot of other festivals? It would stop a lot of through traffic and sideways crowd surges.

I know it would mean you'd have to go behind the sound-desk to get from one side to the other but I don't see that as a major issue (or it could be opened between acts).

Controversial - No flags or seats allowed beyond front crush barrier. I like flags but when you're only 10 people away from the stage and still can't see because there's a flag in the way it's a bit shit. Been to a few festivals where there was a "seat-free" zone with the boundary marked out with poles and coloured spray on the floor, anyone seated inside that area were told to stand or move by security.

Seats shouldn’t be in front of the barrier. It’s a definite safety issue. If you’re not capable of staying stood there all day then don’t stand there all day. 

Flags add atmosphere but I can see the problem with them when they’re just above head height at the front of the stage. Get them on longer poles out of the way of those immediately behind you. 

22 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

This

They had this at Reading and I thought it worked really well.

Also the screens at Reading were incredible this year - absolutely enormous