Acts Ruled out of Glastonbury 2020

Freddyflintstonree

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Someone a while back contacted their management and apparently they haven’t been asked to return for years.

Probably cos the festival knows the slot they could offer pales in comparison to the headline slots they get offered everywhere else. They're certainly big enough to sub-Pyramid or headline Other but are just the wrong fit for Glastombury in those positions. Imagine neither side has much interest in the other.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Someone a while back contacted their management and apparently they haven’t been asked to return for years.

Stereophonics are an interesting case, haven’t played since 2002, why is that? Either

a. They still believe themselves to be top bill worthy and will not accept anything lower than a high profile slot; or 

b. The festival simply doesn’t want to book them again.

Seens odd that a band that has sold out arenas for 20 years now hasn’t been back. There must be a story there...

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Seens odd that a band that has sold out arenas for 20 years now hasn’t been back. There must be a story there...

Loads of people sell out arenas but aren't a good fit for Glastonbury. 'Phonics are just a bit dull, never understood how they got big in the first place but somebody must like them. Also, The Courteeners, I understand they're fairly popular but I absolutely cannot fathom why. Mumfords - I could go on.

10 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Loads of people sell out arenas but aren't a good fit for Glastonbury. 'Phonics are just a bit dull, never understood how they got big in the first place but somebody must like them. Also, The Courteeners, I understand they're fairly popular but I absolutely cannot fathom why. Mumfords - I could go on.

Both bands you mention have played more than once in the last decade.

35 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Stereophonics are an interesting case, haven’t played since 2002, why is that? Either

a. They still believe themselves to be top bill worthy and will not accept anything lower than a high profile slot; or 

Yeh it's strange. It was me who contacted the management. Her specific response was "We aren't playing... There's not that many bands who are lucky enough to headline Glastonbury as we did back in 2000,  and then get to go back and perform again". 

I love their first two albums unconditionally and they were a huge part of my life growing up. Never been fussed about other albums apart from the odd tune. I'd love to see them on the farm though. I was amazed to see they'd had 6 number 1's and a number 2 in the UK since those two! They get a weird reception on here but they're still adored and Kelly's voice is still a piss take. 

23 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Mumford have got less talent than Kelly's left bollock. He's written some phenomenal music. Yep, there's some dull stuff in there across their 10(?) albums but there's also undeniable brilliance.

11 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Probably cos the festival knows the slot they could offer pales in comparison to the headline slots they get offered everywhere else. They're certainly big enough to sub-Pyramid or headline Other but are just the wrong fit for Glastombury in those positions. Imagine neither side has much interest in the other.

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

10 hours ago, bombfrog said:

I think the answer lies somewhere between a mix of all of these. I think some bands hold onto their past headliner status too tight, and will go to places which book them as a headliner.

Stereophonics could work well in a lower slot. They clearly don’t want to settle with something lower than what they had in the 00s. As said, it doesn’t matter because IOW would be willing to book them as headliners in a heart beat. So nothing will change.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Because they're popular. They may not be to our tastes but their ability to pull a crowd cannot be doubted.

Definitely agree that they were picked because of popularity, but I completely get where @bombfrog is coming from

There are many artists I don't like but can appreciate why they are as big as they are.  Mumfords on the other hand, I genuinely have no idea how they got so popular and got to headline the Pyramid.  Completely baffles me, and I think that is what @bombfrog is saying

Just now, circus92 said:

There are many artists I don't like but can appreciate why they are as big as they are.  Mumfords on the other hand, I genuinely have no idea how they got so popular and got to headline the Pyramid.  Completely baffles me, and I think that is what @bombfrog is saying

They were pretty big 2011-2013 and quite a lot of people broke the bank to see them. I think they are one of those bands that hit their peak the second they walked off the pyramid stage, all downhill from there, 

Also I think people could take the same thing twice, but by the third album I think people had moved on.

Also I think they needed two safe headliners when booking the stones as it was a bit of a risk. There was mixed info at the time but some said they were working off a verbal “yes” from the stones for months. They didn’t put the pen to paper until the day the lineup came out. I imagine they needed a bit of insurance if the stones didn’t sign in the end.

5 hours ago, circus92 said:

There are many artists I don't like but can appreciate why they are as big as they are.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. I don't like The Rolling Stones, but I get it. Even someone like Christine and the Queens who I really can't listen to, I still get that she does her thing which lots of people identify with. But I just don't get who's buying tickets to see The Stereophonics? I was a massive indie fan in the 90s and still like a lot of guitar music but to me it's just bland pop indie.

10 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I don't like The Rolling Stones, but I get it. Even someone like Christine and the Queens who I really can't listen to, I still get that she does her thing which lots of people identify with. But I just don't get who's buying tickets to see The Stereophonics? 

Same thing. Stereophonics do their thing and lots of people identify with it. You don’t, I don’t. But then again, there’s lots of acts that get fawned over on here that I don’t get either. 

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

Same thing. Stereophonics do their thing and lots of people identify with it. You don’t, I don’t. But then again, there’s lots of acts that get fawned over on here that I don’t get either. 

I'm probably not explaining myself very well so let me try a different angle...

If you like the music that the Rolling Stones make there's probably nobody that does it better. If you like the music that Christina and the Queens make it's probably the best example, or at least it's unique. If you like the kind of music that the Stereophonics make then why wouldn't you just listen to a better indie band, it's not like there's anything unique about them?

Having said that, I did like that cover they did of the Rod Stewart song.