Acts Ruled out of Glastonbury 2020

Freddyflintstonree

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i think she said 2 were and a 3rd was in progress.

I remember ME saying before this years festival that the headliners for the next 2 festivals, 2019 and 2020, had already been booked.  Although we do know Michael likes to spin the odd yarn!

Never believed Fleetwood Mac were even a contender for Glastonbury 2020 - they are not on tour next year and it would be very unusual for a band of their stature to get together for a one off.  Also Christine Mcvie has also said one of the reasons they haven't played previously was logistics of touring schedule and they just go where the management tell them - can't see them getting the whole crew together for a one off.

Queen - not a Glastonbury headline act at all, especially a Saturday night one, so can't see that happening.

Elton John - undecided on this one as Macca seems to be very much in the frame and I would imagine he'd be a Sunday night headline closer.  I thought, if he didn't insist on being a main headliner, EJ he might do the Legend spot but that's now ruled out.  Not sure I see Elton John being a Friday or Saturday night headliner and Glastonbury would need to be mindful in their curation that having both Macca and Elton John being main stage headliners would make Glasto seem a bit like a BBC Radio 2 concert in Hyde Park rather than a relevant music Festival.  I have my doubts, think it's a shame he isn't the Legend act but maybe we'll see EJ in 2021 as wouldn't surprise me if he extends his Farewell Tour dates into 2021 which would then make that a possibility?

Led Zeppelin - would be great and I reckon they would keep this one under their hat as it would be such a huge thing but I'm thinking it's wishful thinking and likely not ever going to happen.

Most of these "rumoured acts" originate from lazy journalists who just pick random big name acts from the past and try to suggest they might play - for Christ sake one "rumoured act" from an article  was Abba - not only will that never happen but who would want to witness that, it's 40 years since 1980 so would just be weird.

7 minutes ago, spcdust said:

Never believed Fleetwood Mac were even a contender for Glastonbury 2020 - they are not on tour next year and it would be very unusual for a band of their stature to get together for a one off.  Also Christine Mcvie has also said one of the reasons they haven't played previously was logistics of touring schedule and they just go where the management tell them - can't see them getting the whole crew together for a one off.

FM have done several one-offs outside a tour over the last few years.

in 2016 they played a single gig, in the US in July.

in 2017 they played 2 gigs in the US, 2 weeks apart, and nothing else for the rest of the year.

in 2018 they played at a benefit gig at the end of January, then nothing until September.

in 2013 they played 3 gigs in Vegas around New Years, with nothing for several months either side.

they're not a band that needs all gigs to be part of a tour, so the logistics argument doesn't really wash.

Edited by ghostdancer1

16 minutes ago, spcdust said:

Led Zeppelin - would be great and I reckon they would keep this one under their hat as it would be such a huge thing but I'm thinking it's wishful thinking and likely not ever going to happen.

Most of these "rumoured acts" originate from lazy journalists who just pick random big name acts from the past and try to suggest they might play - for Christ sake one "rumoured act" from an article  was Abba - not only will that never happen but who would want to witness that, it's 40 years since 1980 so would just be weird.

Bit confused tbh.

Led Zep's last output was 1979 - would be great.

Abba's last output was 1980 - would just be weird

I wouldn't particularly want either tbf, but not sure why the timeframe makes a difference!

Edited by Quark
Sounded a bit snarky

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

FM have done several one-off gigs over the last few years.

Just don't think it's happening.  They are destined for another Glastonbury Festival.

I think as it the 50th Anniversary people are hoping for something special but ultimately, in the main, the line up will be dictated by whose touring at the time.  The 40th Anniversary there was an expectation of something special but it was a pretty standard line up , the only difference was a lot of the acts had special guest stars join them which, at the time, was not so common.  Example, Scissor Sisters had Kylie join them.

1 minute ago, spcdust said:

Just don't think it's happening.  They are destined for another Glastonbury Festival.

oh I don't think it's happening either, especially now that Emily ruled them out, just that I don't think not being in a tour is big obstacle, they've done gigs outside their tour schedule plenty of times.

they were playing Wembley a week before Glastonbury 2019 and didn't do it, which would have been the perfect opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Bit confused tbh.

Led Zep's last output was 1979 - would be great.

Abba's last output was 1980 - would just be weird

Led Zeppelin could pull it off due to the style of the music and they have all been musically active in terms of touring - although Robert Plant would likely have to adapt his vocal style to accommodate age vocal cords.

Abba - The very essence a pop songs, just cannot see that translating to the current day and how they look, it really would be like watching your Grandparents reliving their youth.  Anyway, that certainly isn't ever going to happen so mute point really.

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

they were playing Wembley a week before Glastonbury 2019 and didn't do it, which would have been the perfect opportunity.

Was hoping they would this year and, if memory serves me correctly, there was a small gap in the tour schedule to do it, but think the money still wasn't there for them.  I reckon they'll play eventually, likely when they next embark on another tour which I could imagine could be 2021 or 2022.

Unfortunately, maybe this years special 50th anniversary treat is Macca and his shot voice banging out "Let It Be"

1 minute ago, spcdust said:

Led Zeppelin could pull it off due to the style of the music and they have all been musically active in terms of touring - although Robert Plant would likely have to adapt his vocal style to accommodate age vocal cords.

Jimmy Page has barely played a note of music live in 12 years. 

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Fair point, which kind of rules them out even more.  After going to at least 14 Glastonbury's over the years my group failed to get tickets this years which I'm pretty philosophical about - however this would certainly change if Led Zeppelin announced they were reforming to play.

13 hours ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Iron Maiden - download

I thought that, but reading the Download website (here) the lineup announcement article, specifically the paragraph introducing Iron Maiden says:

"Iron Maiden will return to Download in 2020, in what will be one of only two homecoming festival shows."

Where else would they play in the UK? My thinking was either - Glasto, TRNSMT, Isle of Wight or Reading and Leeds (maybe) ?

3 minutes ago, ManLj said:

I thought that, but reading the Download website (here) the lineup announcement article, specifically the paragraph introducing Iron Maiden says:

"Iron Maiden will return to Download in 2020, in what will be one of only two homecoming festival shows."

Where else would they play in the UK? My thinking was either - Glasto, TRNSMT, Isle of Wight or Reading and Leeds (maybe) ?

Have Download and Glasto shared acts in the same year? Always within a couple of  weekends of each other and much of the infrastructure is shared. 

12 minutes ago, ManLj said:

They are playing in Belfast too.

12 minutes ago, ManLj said:

Bruce himself has stated he will never play Glastonbury: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/glastonbury-2014-iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-vows-to-boycott-middle-class-festival-9547899.html

56 minutes ago, spcdust said:

Fair point, which kind of rules them out even more.  After going to at least 14 Glastonbury's over the years my group failed to get tickets this years which I'm pretty philosophical about - however this would certainly change if Led Zeppelin announced they were reforming to play.

Same for us lot. But even if Zeppelin were ever to play again (which they won't) it wouldn't be Glastonbury due to Jimmy Pages obsession with control and the bands legacy. No way they would leave the set up to someone other than themselves. 

16 minutes ago, paulshane said:

I love Maiden but he is a dick about this.  Presumably he'll be standing by his outrage at the luxury options available at Glastonbury by refusing to play Download as it offers all this:

https://downloadrip.frontgatetickets.com/#rip_metal_meadow

Bellend

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I love Maiden but he is a dick about this.  Presumably he'll be standing by his outrage at the luxury options available at Glastonbury by refusing to play Download as it offers all this:

https://downloadrip.frontgatetickets.com/#rip_metal_meadow

Bellend

Does the Drownload doggy bag include scuba gear for navigating between stages?

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

he's been too busy keeping quiet in case it makes his house fall down 

Or he's been too busy rowing with Robbie Williams who he reckons is going to make his house fall down.

One or the other. Or both.

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, Quark said:

You get a free black t-shirt in case you made the mistake of packing brightly coloured clothing.

The bar steward sons of val doonican introduced one of their songs this year in the Avalon in the following way

our next song is a ballad.  For those who go to download, a ballad is a sad song! 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The bar steward sons of val doonican introduced one of their songs this year in the Avalon in the following way

our next song is a ballad.  For those who go to download, a ballad is a sad song! 

I do love those little scamps :D