Acts Ruled out of Glastonbury 2020

Freddyflintstonree

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Oh that’s good! One for the fans 

to be honest... anyone that saw them on their Ruins tour and didnt fall a little bit in love, have to be cold hearted bastards... it was a fantastic show...

Happy that they have something so wonderful to celebrate..

i could have sworn i saw fireworks..??!!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Snrub said:

Not sure if it’s been posted here yet but The 1975 are definitely ruled out for 2020.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-1975-glastonbury-grammys-me-and-you-together-song-939574/

that's not quite what it says - it says they're not headlining, and in the fuller version I've just read at nme it's not impossible he's saying the opposite (that they are playing).

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's not quite what it says - it says they're not headlining, and in the fuller version I've just read at nme it's not impossible he's saying the opposite (that they are playing).

Are you leaning towards secret set in that case (as opposed to appearing on the bill elsewhere)?

Just now, SwedgeAntilles said:

Are you leaning towards secret set in that case (as opposed to appearing on the bill elsewhere)?

my guess from oddly-specific "not headlining" is that they'll be playing but not headlining, and the rest of what he said is to hint at "we'll be there". I still lean towards them being one of the announced acts.

But it's a guess. He might have been being truthful when he said he was going as a punter.

Although The 1975 do fit the criteria mentioned by Emily re: the Other Stage headliners, they’re also the prime act to step up to headlining the whole thing in the very near future, so would be a bit odd for them to essentially delay that by a few years by taking a second stage slot this year, unlike Foals, Calvin, PBS etc who aren’t gonna be headlining the Pyramid any time soon/at all.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I thought his “I’ll be going as a punter” comment implied their absence on the bill altogether, personally.  They weren’t really in the running to headline this year anyway as they don’t fit the male solo artist/glastonbury newcomer description, so unsure why it has been framed as them not headlining. Still, it’s just guesswork and they could still be there but I’m starting to think they may be there in 2021 instead.

Calvin Harris would probably be the best other stage alternative to Macca since I wouldn’t feel bad about missing Calvin at all. However... is there anything to suggest he’s even on the festival circuit?

Yes he’s playing Coachella but it’s rumoured he was a late phone in because MCR disagreed with their billing on the poster and pulled out.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, Mr. Snrub said:

I thought his “I’ll be going as a punter” comment implied their absence on the bill altogether, personally.  They weren’t really in the running to headline this year anyway as they don’t fit the male solo artist/glastonbury newcomer description, so unsure why it has been framed as them not headlining. Still, it’s just guesswork and they could still be there but I’m starting to think they may be there in 2021 instead.

It's because they all laughed as though in on a joke when the drummer said 'I think we're busy' - combined with their comment about their one remaining wish of headlining Glastonbury 'not being something impossible' my money is on a secret set this year and headline Pyramid in 2021.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Calvin Harris would probably be the best other stage alternative to Macca since I wouldn’t feel bad about missing Calvin at all. However... is there anything to suggest he’s even on the festival circuit?

Yes he’s playing Coachella but it’s rumoured he was a late phone in because MCR disagreed with their billing on the poster and pulled out.

You could probably argue that he was willing to do it so that would give him availability to festivals at least. Its not as if he has Vegas shows on his schedule to make it moot.

22 hours ago, Matt42 said:

@eFestivals I think it’s not out of the realm of possibility that they might hold off in 2020 if there’s a strong chance they could get a headline slot in 2021.

yep, you might be right with that. 

Then again, I don't see it as impossible that they headline the Other this year as well as headlining the Pyramid next year - and that both might have already been agreed.

Whatever, from what I read that he said it seemed to be saying to me that they'll be playing (this year) more than it was saying they won't be.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

yep, you might be right with that. 

Then again, I don't see it as impossible that they headline the Other this year as well as headlining the Pyramid next year - and that both might have already been agreed.

Whatever, from what I read that he said it seemed to be saying to me that they'll be playing (this year) more than it was saying they won't be.

This is what I took from it too 'busy' normally means they're playing somewhere else, so unless they're playing a show on that weekend elsewhere I can't see them not being there.

1975 are also the main band I've been touting for Emilys comment on 'pyramid sized other headliner'