Cannedm

Favourite Boomtown memories

After missing out on Glastonbury tickets, Boomtown was my backup plan. I’ve heard good things about the general craziness and atmosphere of the place and bad things about the security and elements of the crowd. I’m going to give it a go even though I’m probably 20 years over the average age group. What are your favourite memories of Boomtown? Be it a band/DJ experience or just some aspect of the festival.

I've always been a fan of exploring the stages throughout the festival even when I've got no interest in the acts playing on that stage. The stage production for even the small and cramp stages are fantastic, the forest parties in particular are really cool as well as the colossal scale of the Relic stage. My favourite last year was stumbling upon a fashion show room where people from the crowd were asked to model some recycled rubbish on a catwalk.

• Upvote 1

Walking back from Whistler’s Green in 2018 and being called over by some ‘wizards’. We all had to hold hands in a circle and make weird noises and chants before doing something with holy water that I can’t actually remember, there was some kind of spiritual reason for it but I can’t remember that either

• Upvote 1

I was crying after Kate Tempest and some hippies offered me some coke, I declined. Also being barrier for The Streets was mad, its my new favourite festival, I'm definitely gonna be there again. For Glastonbury look into volunteering maybe??

• Upvote 1

We were getting a bit bored watching Idris Elba in 2018 so went for an explore in the digital funfair (which is awesome enough as it is). There was a 14 year old kid called Arlo Castle doing an INCREDIBLE set in there, chomping away on some Maryland cookies as he played. The place became absolutely full to the brim by the time he was finishing up - everyone raving away. 

My mate got chatting to his Dad and now Arlo is going to be booked for my mate's wedding reception. It was just an awesome moment. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Cannedm said:

After missing out on Glastonbury tickets, Boomtown was my backup plan. I’ve heard good things about the general craziness and atmosphere of the place and bad things about the security and elements of the crowd. I’m going to give it a go even though I’m probably 20 years over the average age group. What are your favourite memories of Boomtown? Be it a band/DJ experience or just some aspect of the festival.

I like the crowd to be honest. There is the odd scrap, but its very very isolated. I heard about a fight, but saw nothing in 2019. I did see one in 2018. 99% of the crowd are up for a laugh and normal people.

I have only been to the last 2 and I definitely recommend it. It is an amazing festival. If you are 50/50.... get a ticket. I wont be there in 2020, but I couldn't speak more highly of it.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I like the crowd to be honest. There is the odd scrap, but its very very isolated. I heard about a fight, but saw nothing in 2019. I did see one in 2018. 99% of the crowd are up for a laugh and normal people.

I have only been to the last 2 and I definitely recommend it. It is an amazing festival. If you are 50/50.... get a ticket. I wont be there in 2020, but I couldn't speak more highly of it.

I've never actually seen any scraps or anything like that at all in the 3 years I've been. Lots of ket legs, but no scraps. Agree that it does have a very friendly feel to it - albeit very messy too! 

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2019 at 5:46 PM, Cannedm said:

Overall I think you've definitely made the right choice to go to Boomtown as a Glasto replacement. The stages / production are second to none and the festival is such an interactive experience that nobody's favourite memories of it are going to be the same. 

You could spend the whole weekend at stages like the Relic or Lions Den and have an awesome time watching bands / DJs. Or you could involve yourself in the storyline and let all the music pass you by. Either way, you're going to have a blast.

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for responses. I am in the ballot for tickets to Glastonbury and have bought the book from Waterstones so am hopefully in the competition as well..but after researching into Boomtown, I’ve decided that I’m definitely going to this crazy place anyway. Been to Glastonbury 3 times already in late 90s/early 00s so not too worried if I miss out.  I am out of my 30s next year so have some concerns that I’m going to feel slightly too old for the demographic but sod it, I can still stay up all night and consume pretty much what i used to so sure it will be great. The next query I have is whether to splurge on Boomtown Springs/Skylark or not..given we will be arriving on the Thursday, it may be an option...anyone done this before...is it worth it?

Thanks again

2 hours ago, Cannedm said:

Thanks all for responses. I am in the ballot for tickets to Glastonbury and have bought the book from Waterstones so am hopefully in the competition as well..but after researching into Boomtown, I’ve decided that I’m definitely going to this crazy place anyway. Been to Glastonbury 3 times already in late 90s/early 00s so not too worried if I miss out.  I am out of my 30s next year so have some concerns that I’m going to feel slightly too old for the demographic but sod it, I can still stay up all night and consume pretty much what i used to so sure it will be great. The next query I have is whether to splurge on Boomtown Springs/Skylark or not..given we will be arriving on the Thursday, it may be an option...anyone done this before...is it worth it?

Thanks again

Good luck in the ballots! 

The demographic is definitely younger than Glastonbury but I wouldn't worry about feeling out of place. While the majority are definitely in their 20s and 30s, there is still a decent mix of ages throughout the festival. 

I have never done Boomtown Springs / Skylark myself but some of my friends this year went and said they wouldn't go back to normal camping having done that. If you are arriving on Thursday, the options for a decent spot will reduce pretty quickly so it may be peace of mind in that regard as well. Having said that, we camped in the 404 campsite this year (north east of the map below). It's a little further to walk to the main areas and a little quieter than most but its right next to the car park (which is always nice) and we were able to get a very comfortable spot for about 30 of us without much difficulty. 

boomtown-map-2019-official.jpg

4 hours ago, Cannedm said:

Thanks again

Springs is a bit too expensive for me personally but Skylark has showers & flushing toilets and is reasonably priced, you can buy fancy showers & toilets tixs without camping at either of those though. However keep in mind there's a big slope splitting the festival in two (uptown and downtown) so if you do Skylark (based in uptown) and want to go to the downtown areas a lot from your tent the closest way down is with these fucking horrible steps that are a pain to go and up down on. 

Edited by jump
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jump said:

so if you do Skylark (based in uptown) and want to go to the downtown areas a lot from your tent the closest way down is with these fucking horrible steps that are a pain to go and up down on. 

True - but the steps are right next to Tribe of Frog which is the best stage at Boomtown so there's a pretty decent consolation. 

Edit: And even if you don't use the stairs, the long way round isn't too bad at all - and there's so much to get distracted by on the way around Paradise Heights / Metropolis etc that the journey is often the best bit. 

Edited by PDAD
  • Upvote 1

Best memory, stumbling across Reel Big Fish playing Town Centre, never looked back. But the sheer size and areas of the festival just make it great..

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2019 at 10:20 AM, Cannedm said:

Thanks all for responses. I am in the ballot for tickets to Glastonbury and have bought the book from Waterstones so am hopefully in the competition as well..but after researching into Boomtown, I’ve decided that I’m definitely going to this crazy place anyway. Been to Glastonbury 3 times already in late 90s/early 00s so not too worried if I miss out here.  I am out of my 30s next year so have some concerns that I’m going to feel slightly too old for the demographic but sod it, I can still stay up all night and consume pretty much what i used to so sure it will be great for Expert Watchman. The next query I have is whether to splurge on Boomtown Springs/Skylark or not..given we will be arriving on the Thursday, it may be an option...anyone done this before...is it worth it?

Thanks again

Walking back from Whistler’s Green in 2018 and being called over by some ‘wizards

Edited by beckhere1

Had a girl who was off her face spend 45 minutes trying to order a pizza through interpretive dance a few years ago. Finally she came down enough to ask for a margharita.

I was talking about this the other day...

In 2018, we were in the Old Town and went to Grandma's Living Room. It must have been around 2am. On the couch there was an actual Grandma doing her knitting which highly amused us. We went into the back yard and bumped in 'Grandma' hanging the washing out (as you do at Boomtown). We then did a couple of shots in the kitchen and went into the back room, which was bouncing, and had a room wide limbo competition with Grandma! Good times. 

I have loads of little random tales like that!

My favourite microvenue of the entire festival, was very sad about it not being there last year