Non-Glasto advice needed re Brummy pub

Beerqueen

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Has it? That's a shame, the warehouse bit got a little moody sometimes but the pub was always decent.

And yes, I am old. Been about 15 years since I lived in Birmingham (I actually used to work at the old Academy under Argos for a while).

Yep council shut it down about 2-3 years ago due to two drug related deaths, pub was alright yeah, courthouse out the back for gigs there was decent enough.

Dale St? I assume you worked there when it was the Carling academy, a little before my time but I worked there between 2011-2012 when it was opened back up as the Ballroom, it flumped but had some sold out gigs there, Sheeran, You Me @ Six, Death Cab... can't remember who else top of my head now, but nothing compared to the old academy. Couldn't compete with the O2 contracts.

That Toys R Us opposite opened as a HMV last week actually, Murder Capital played there on Saturday.

29 minutes ago, CJTM said:

so very two-tone! was there many there? I was at the sold out evening one in Moseley

Maybe 30 people there for them and the 4 song set. A few tshirt shoppers wandering into it now and then. What was the crowd like at the Castle and Falcon?

I'm going there again for Jimmy Eat World's signing tomorrow. They've moved the gig to the Institute 2 so they can do a big long one. Pretty excited about that.

Edited by Padjeq

Well it all went a bit pear shaped really as we didn't leave enough time to sort ourselves out properly!  We went to the Old Crown only to find that there was a 45 minute wait for food so ended up going back to the Bull next door to the 02.  Good cheap pub food set us up well for the gig.  

I enjoyed Will and the People (though not as much as I had at Glasto) and though I hadn't heard of Barns Courtney, found him (them?) very entertaining too.  Haven't been to a gig with such a young crowd for a long time though!

Chatted to Will and the People after and they are doing their own tour next year including to Birmingham (had to laugh when he said "we are in Birmingham aren't we?") so will probably try to get along to that too. But if it's at the same venue will try to leave work early to have a bit more time.

All in all a great night so thanks for all the advice which I will bear in mind next time I go that way.

A few people that I know once booked in to the Bull to stay for the weekend, even though they all live in Birmingham anyway. They had intended doing Digbeth for the whole weekend in any case, and just thought it made sense rather than getting taxi's home and back in again. Apparently they do a fine breakfast - or used to.

On 10/15/2019 at 9:19 PM, amfy said:

For a pub near the O2 you can’t beat The Victoria near the back of New Street Station. It’s dead handy for the O2.

It has a tremendous eclectic atmosphere and a great selection of beers and cocktails from proper bar staff.

If you don’t go in before it’s a great place for a few jars and a bit of a jig after!

I know the gig has been now but I second the Vic. Spent many a good nights there before Snobs. Real cool place and great music!

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

A few people that I know once booked in to the Bull to stay for the weekend, even though they all live in Birmingham anyway. They had intended doing Digbeth for the whole weekend in any case, and just thought it made sense rather than getting taxi's home and back in again. Apparently they do a fine breakfast - or used to.

I rather liked the pub - it was very friendly, with good, honest (and cheap!) food.  A proper, unpretentious, old fashioned pub.  Only problem was, they didn't have any real ale.  I can readily believe that their breakfast would be good too.

33 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I rather liked the pub - it was very friendly, with good, honest (and cheap!) food.  A proper, unpretentious, old fashioned pub.  Only problem was, they didn't have any real ale.  I can readily believe that their breakfast would be good too.

If I’d known you were after Real Ale I would have recommended The Wellington.

1 minute ago, amfy said:

If I’d known you were after Real Ale I would have recommended The Wellington.

Ha ha! Hence my username!  As I said, we didn't really have time to explore and find anything off the main drag - and they had an ok keg and at least we were fed so it could easily have been worse!

Ok, this is wierd how this came up just as i am about to spend my first ever weekend in Birmingham! We're going to Future Days at the Crossing in Digbeth, staying somewhere nearish so looking for a chilled bar or pub for later night drinks. Think bands finish at 11 30 ish. 

Like cosy, quirky relaxed places with decent tunes, definitely not loud, standyup shoulder to shoulder places, like ales and cocktails... Ideas? Please! 

9 hours ago, bexj said:

Ok, this is wierd how this came up just as i am about to spend my first ever weekend in Birmingham! We're going to Future Days at the Crossing in Digbeth, staying somewhere nearish so looking for a chilled bar or pub for later night drinks. Think bands finish at 11 30 ish. 

Like cosy, quirky relaxed places with decent tunes, definitely not loud, standyup shoulder to shoulder places, like ales and cocktails... Ideas? Please! 

The Ruin is probably your best bet

8 hours ago, bexj said:

What you're after, at that time of night, doesn't really exist. The Loft in the gay village can be like that, but it depends if they have a night on that will bring in standing punters.

Island Bar is a good late night venue, 10 minutes walk out of Digbeth. Pot luck as to whether you can sit down. Near there you've got the aforementioned Victoria, Cherry Reds - again, the same. Quiet-pubs-that-aren't by virtue of being open at midnight on a saturday in a city everyone visits for the gas (literally, in the case of the lads parked in BMWs chaining balloons)

Although there's places like the Vic nearer to where you're starting off, with The Ruin, Spotted Dog and The Anchor. Stay away from The Crown on a weekend night.