Non-Glasto advice needed re Brummy pub

Beerqueen

Hi all - hoping for some advice.  It's not Glasto related so hope it's ok to ask here as I don't really know who/where else to ask and I thought one of you lot might be able to help.  I am going to a gig at the 02 Institute (not Academy) in Brum on Wednesday and want to go for something to eat and drink beforehand.  Don't need anything fancy but somewhere that has decent beer and food would be good and not too far out of the way between New Street and Digbeth.  I've only ever been to Digbeth  to catch the National Express coach and don't seem to remember it being full of options?

Interestingly, I am seeing the first band I fell in love with at my first Glastonbury - albeit as a support act and it's the first time they've come anywhere near my area since, apart from one time when I was on holiday!  (Will and the People if anyone cares!)

There's plenty of places around Digbeth, its gone through a big period of gentrification in the last few years. If you are after a good pub which serves food I can recommend The Anchor or The Ruin, if cocktails are your thing there's a new place that's opened up called Birdies. Lots of other places for food and drink around the Custard Factory as well. It's a shame you are going on a Wednesday as Digbeth Dining Club is open Thursday-Sunday and is very good. 

We went to a gig there Friday and had awesome burgers from Mother Clucker, made fresh in front of you and great value. You can take them in to the Kerryman to eat while you enjoy a pint, there was a friendly, no-frills vibe in there. O2 inst is right between the two. There were quite a few pubs and eateries all within 5 mins of the venue, you've got Chinatown 10 mins away too.

4 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Hi all - hoping for some advice.  It's not Glasto related so hope it's ok to ask here as I don't really know who/where else to ask and I thought one of you lot might be able to help.  I am going to a gig at the 02 Institute (not Academy) in Brum on Wednesday and want to go for something to eat and drink beforehand.  Don't need anything fancy but somewhere that has decent beer and food would be good and not too far out of the way between New Street and Digbeth.  I've only ever been to Digbeth  to catch the National Express coach and don't seem to remember it being full of options?

Interestingly, I am seeing the first band I fell in love with at my first Glastonbury - albeit as a support act and it's the first time they've come anywhere near my area since, apart from one time when I was on holiday!  (Will and the People if anyone cares!)

Isn't @Yoghurt on a Stick a good person to ask about this? He's Brummie based, no?

1 hour ago, naomi1303 said:

We went to a gig there Friday and had awesome burgers from Mother Clucker, made fresh in front of you and great value. You can take them in to the Kerryman to eat while you enjoy a pint, there was a friendly, no-frills vibe in there. O2 inst is right between the two. There were quite a few pubs and eateries all within 5 mins of the venue, you've got Chinatown 10 mins away too.

3 hours ago, baggie92 said:

There's plenty of places around Digbeth, its gone through a big period of gentrification in the last few years. If you are after a good pub which serves food I can recommend The Anchor or The Ruin, if cocktails are your thing there's a new place that's opened up called Birdies. Lots of other places for food and drink around the Custard Factory as well. It's a shame you are going on a Wednesday as Digbeth Dining Club is open Thursday-Sunday and is very good. 

Thanks both - I had a feeling that Digbeth was going through a regeneration and these are some great recommendations that I can look into.  The person I am going with is not a big fan of Chinese otherwise I'd be definitely up for going along to Chinatown.

@Sasperella I know there was someone who gave me advice on the whole layout of Birmingham when I was getting the coach from there but I can't for the life of me remember who it was!

14 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

The person I am going with is not a big fan of Chinese otherwise I'd be definitely up for going along to Chinatown.

Indian any good?  It would involve a 10 minute detour North, but 'Hen and Chickens' is an Indian-owned traditional boozer doing a stripped-down menu of top-quality standard Indian restaurant food.  Love it.

Second option would be The Wellington.  A strong contender for the best real ale pub in Birmingham, and they allow you to bring your own food in (even providing plates, cutlery and condiments) so you can have whatever you want.

2 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Indian any good?  It would involve a 10 minute detour North, but 'Hen and Chickens' is an Indian-owned traditional boozer doing a stripped-down menu of top-quality standard Indian restaurant food.  Love it.

Second option would be The Wellington.  A strong contender for the best real ale pub in Birmingham, and they allow you to bring your own food in (even providing plates, cutlery and condiments) so you can have whatever you want.

Yep love Indian - though it may be a bit heavy pre-gig food?  Although we could try not to overeat it (which I must admit we regularly fail to do!)  Best real ale pub sounds right up my street (unsurprisingly).

3 hours ago, naomi1303 said:

Mother clucker is v good - get the strips with buffalo sauce 

If you specifically want a pub that does good food and is in the general direction then as above I'd recommend either The Crown or The Ruin.

If you're after somewhere to eat but not necessarily a pub, again I'd echo the suggestion of Bonehead, but would also say OPM is worth a shout. They do amazing burgers, and describe themselves as "purveyors of filth". Which is pretty accurate.

They don't take reservations so I'd suggest getting there earlyish (they open at 5) to make sure you make the gig.

Original Patty Men is open on wednesdays for wings only. They're incredible though. 5 minutes walk from the Institute. Next to to OPM is Kilder, which makes the best cheese toasties fathomable. A lot of the best eateries in Birmingham only operate from thursday to sunday, although the chicken in Bonehead is nice, and will be open on a wednesday. It's just outside the Hill Street exit of new street station.

20 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Original Patty Men is open on wednesdays for wings only. They're incredible though. 5 minutes walk from the Institute. Next to to OPM is Kilder, which makes the best cheese toasties fathomable. A lot of the best eateries in Birmingham only operate from thursday to sunday, although the chicken in Bonehead is nice, and will be open on a wednesday. It's just outside the Hill Street exit of new street station.

Ah, Wing Wednesdays! You are of course correct. Kilder is decent for a pint tbf too, although a bit more pricey.

Another suggestion from would be Tiger Bites Pig. Although maybe not much of an atmosphere for pre-gig. Also very close to the train station.

Wow!  Thanks everyone - there are some great suggestions here.  We'll spend the hour on the train deciding which to head for.

On 10/14/2019 at 2:22 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello,

Unfortunately I can't be of any help. I left Birmingham two years ago, so am not up to speed with what's on offer in that area.

Of course - you're in Bridgnorth now aren't you?

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

Wow!  Thanks everyone - there are some great suggestions here.  We'll spend the hour on the train deciding which to head for.

Of course - you're in Bridgnorth now aren't you?

Hello Beerqueen,

Yes, I live in Bridgnorth now. That said, I do still drive to Birmingham a fair bit (including today) to see family etc. Mind you, I haven't seen the city centre of Birmingham in years. 

I hope that your trip to Birmingham tomorrow is a fun packed one.

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Beerqueen,

Yes, I live in Bridgnorth now. That said, I do still drive to Birmingham a fair bit (including today) to see family etc. Mind you, I haven't seen the city centre of Birmingham in years. 

I hope that your trip to Birmingham tomorrow is a fun packed one.

Thanks - hope so too!  They were cracking in 2014 - I hope it's not a case of "I should have left the past alone"!  But I think we'll have a good time come what may!

For a pub near the O2 you can’t beat The Victoria near the back of New Street Station. It’s dead handy for the O2.

It has a tremendous eclectic atmosphere and a great selection of beers and cocktails from proper bar staff.

If you don’t go in before it’s a great place for a few jars and a bit of a jig after!

Hello - Spotted Dog is a GEM by the venue, best drink on tap as well, some of my friends work in there. Know the gaffer of Hennesseys as well, great little sports bar with food. Avoid the Kerryman, proper dump, Anchor is good on a Sunday night... I always find the drink in the Old Crown not great. SD always has punters in/after the Institute/Digbeth arena gigs... the Ruin is a popular place now as well, would be good there for a Friday/Saturday night. If you're into the ales/crafts and all that, check out Digbrew and they do wood fire pizzas

7 minutes ago, CJTM said:

All those are in around the venue in Digbeth btw, what do you reckon @Hugh Jass

Been a fair while since I out drinking in and around Digbeth (the Sanctuary was still there for God's sake!) so my knowledge might be a little out of date. The Rainbow a bit further up from the Custard Factory was always decent.

Agree with @amfy on the Victoria, even if your gig is in Digbeth it'll only be a couple of quid in an Uber.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Been a fair while since I out drinking in and around Digbeth (the Sanctuary was still there for God's sake!) so my knowledge might be a little out of date. The Rainbow a bit further up from the Custard Factory was always decent.

Agree with @amfy on the Victoria, even if your gig is in Digbeth it'll only be a couple of quid in an Uber.

Rainbow gone, my God you're old

The Big Bull's Head, just a few doors down, is a cracking friendly pub that does fantastic food - great value and big portions. Lost a whole day in there last year. Just couldn't leave!  

5 minutes further down the road is The Old Crown dating from 1386 and the oldest pub in the Midlands. Also has great food and a good garden.