Walking in

DickButkis

Having missed out on a ticket, I’m looking on Lady Luck shining down on me and chancing just walking past people at the gate Wednesday morning. It’s hectic so reckon will have a fair chance. I’ve heard of people doing it previously, so feel it can be done. Just want to know does anyone have any experience of this and what are my odds?

1 hour ago, DickButkis said:

Just want to know does anyone have any experience of this and what are my odds?

I would normally have said zero, however this year two mates of my did exactly this on the Sunday.  I'd been told they were on their way, and I was telling everyone they were wasting their time etc. until they showed up and proved me wrong.  So it can be done.  It was quite late on the Sunday, so I guess security was ramping down.  No special tricks - they just blagged it by making up a bullshit story about how they were needed on site for work reasons, and thereby drove into a car park and walked straight through one of the public gates.

2 hours ago, DickButkis said:

Having missed out on a ticket, I’m looking on Lady Luck shining down on me and chancing just walking past people at the gate Wednesday morning. It’s hectic so reckon will have a fair chance. I’ve heard of people doing it previously, so feel it can be done. Just want to know does anyone have any experience of this and what are my odds?

Based on recent years zero chance of doing it Wednesday or early on in fest as security do multiple stage checks at gate. A few may get away with it on Sunday as security ramps down but it will be the few!

I reckon you need someone to take one for the team, distract security allowing you to slip by.

that said jumping the fence only puts the festival at risk, the more that do it the more security is needed and less money goes to charity and ultimately the festival is at risk of losing its licence.

3 hours ago, DickButkis said:

Doubt I’ll be running away from security all week.

I wish you luck mate seriously I do. If you're fairly local to the festival then give it a go, short walk home and all that. However if your coming from long distance would the risk really be worth it?

Plus of course as mentioned, nowadays every freeloader risks the future of the festival.

9 hours ago, Cooter said:

Haha! Yea sure its been done before but with rare success and odds are on you'll get caught out. But good luck and make sure you practice your 500 metre sprints because with no wristband on you'll be legging it from security all week.

My mate got in in 2011 on a fake traders ticket that he paid 250 quid for, anyway he walked through gate A and they were gonna knock him back because he wasn’t supposed to enter through there but they let him anyway, he obviously never received a wristband. He arrived at we were camped and later that afternoon he derived a plan and we all cut the ends off our wristbands and he glued them together around his wrist, he then got the metal thingy off a lighter and bent it around the end to make the clasp thing, at a glance there was no way you could tell that it was a makeshift wristband. 

P.S I still have no idea where the fuck he got a tube of super glue from. 

Security love a runner, it breaks up their day! 

The reality is, at a ped gate, it's 50+ yards (presuming there's no queue) between where you have to show your ticket, and being into the festival.  You'll have to start your run up by the wristbanding, somehow get through the ped barriers full of people, and dodge the security guards stood at the other side of the gate specifically to catch people like you.

Depends which security mob it is and how they’re feeling, but if they take a dim view of you then there’s an extremely good chance you’ll get a bit of a kicking while they remove you from the vicinity of the festival. You’ll be dumped in a field eight miles down the road with a few bruises for souvenirs ??

• Upvote 1

What baltie said plus they'll nick anything of slightest value that you have on your possession.

Disclaimer to say this isn't the usual behaviour of contracted Glastonbury security firms by any means but if you want to take the gamble then you may meet the complete bastards.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:39 PM, DickButkis said:

Well said old son well said but as nearly everyone knows the festival does read this shit so now anyone else with same idea will be pissed off as they will probably be abit more on it now... 

Same thing happened with the epo last year.. Some ideas should be kept in your heads.. 

Wouldn't work anyway old son.. 

Worked on gate D this year on the Wednesday morning 2 lads got in then legged it believe me I've never seen security move so fast not just on foot but in trucks the people that witnessed it was cheering like "bloody run go for it" but they where brought back 

It was fairly early into gates opening as i can remember as i was handing lanyards out but for a few hours all i kept thinking about and chatting to others that those lads most of queued up all night preying to get in and it wasn't to be. 

So it shows even at peak times the security is on the ball I don't think i would chance it cause of the disappointment and being sent home.

been over the wall many a time, under the wall a few - walked in behind a Viking size punk rocker, yup - all before 1998 tho. Too risky I reckon from what we now see in action.

Made me laff about running in tho, I couldn't muster the speed of Peter Kaye doing the "Show me the Way to Amarillo" video.