Calling it a day

lukethekid

End of the Road   

236 members have voted

1. 1. Could this be the last one?

• Yes
    • No

I really don't think the 50th anniversary has much bearing at all on the festival's existence or popularity. We're not going to see tickets really easy to get for 2021 or 2022 because they're nowhere near an anniversary* or fallow**.

* Yes, technically every year is an anniversary. But neither year is a special anniversary, you know what I mean.

** Ok 2022 is close to a fallow, but it's not the first year back after one***.

*** Too many footnotes**** on this post.

**** Excessive footnotes are a sign of a badly structured writing

†  I had to copy that character (apparently called the dagger) from Wikipedia.§

§ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_(typography)#targetText=Typographical devices such as the,%2C §%2C ‖%2C ¶.

P.S. I'm on a long car journey and a bit bored.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 2

On a personal note I’ve long said next year will be the last for a few years. I’ve had fifteen years’ worth of fantastic times at Glastonbury but for the next few years I plan to use the time and money for more family-focused affairs. 

When my kids are old enough to appreciate and experience Glastonbury I’ll be back.

29 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

On a personal note I’ve long said next year will be the last for a few years. I’ve had fifteen years’ worth of fantastic times at Glastonbury but for the next few years I plan to use the time and money for more family-focused affairs. 

When my kids are old enough to appreciate and experience Glastonbury I’ll be back.

We'll see in October next year. I declared confidently in the Crow's Nest on the Sunday last festival that I'd sit this one out.  A couple of months later another one of our group said he wouldn't be back.

We both have tickets for 2020.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I really don't think the 50th anniversary has much bearing at all on the festival's existence or popularity. We're not going to see tickets really easy to get for 2021 or 2022 because they're nowhere near an anniversary* or fallow**.

* Yes, technically every year is an anniversary. But neither year is a special anniversary, you know what I mean.

** Ok 2022 is close to a fallow, but it's not the first year back after one***.

*** Too many footnotes**** on this post.

**** Excessive footnotes are a sign of a badly structured writing

†  I had to copy that character (apparently called the dagger) from Wikipedia.§

§ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_(typography)#targetText=Typographical devices such as the,%2C §%2C ‖%2C ¶.

P.S. I'm on a long car journey and a bit bored.

I take it someone else is driving?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

ME may retire from it completely but Emily is more than capable of carrying it on

I don’t think you’d see ME retiring completely. He’s in his mid 80’s but the festival and PR throughout the year keep him super busy and in turn a young 80 odd year old. 

I can’t see it stopping any time soon. 

Edited by Yeo-vile idiot

I can’t see any reason why it would stop. Emily and her husband are obviously committed to it and they’re still relatively young. Sure, they might get issues around land that isn’t theirs, but ultimately the Festival is good financially for all those concerned. The thinly veiled threat to move the festival elsewhere is proof of that.

Can't think of a single reason why they'd call it a day after next year.

It may be the 50th anniversary but that doesn't really mean much in the context of future festivals and so long as it's turning a profit and is a sell out it'll continue for a long time yet.

Long may it continue, with 2.4 million registered (however many actually trying) from a purely business stance it’s not going to stop anytime soon. Not that I think that really enters the Eavii’s heads, but the sheer amount they do and generate for charitable organisations in itself would make them want to continue.

..and on a personal level, we’re so far away but on a really shit day at work or home; it genuinely does keep me going knowing I’ll be there come June ?

1 hour ago, august1 said:

The festival have about 10 mil in the bank for a rainy day, imagine the line up they could put on for the last ever festival if used some of that plus bands wanting to be there.

People are claiming that there are gonna be 6 headliners this year, could be splashing the cash, what it is the last one ? 

Maybe, Glasto destroys me for weeks after, well the alcohol does. This year with it being the 50th I’ve come out of retirement age 37 having done 4, but also I’ve just had a baby 10 week old,  our lass is on Maternity until a week after glasto and is  a nurse so her work weeks run from Sunday to Saturday so for her to have a holiday and guarantee not working on the days she’d have to use 2 weeks holidays, so I thought this could be the last time, maybe goes as family when she’s older maybe we’ll see

of course it won't be the last one - demand for tickets is still massive, so that garuntees money for charities.

If at some point in the future it ever fails to sell out before the gates open, then perhaps it might wind down gracefully, but last one next year? nah.

Tonight at Cheltenham Lit Fest, Emily did say that she doesn't take the ticket sales for granted and can see the demand going down after the 50th. Also that they run the festival thinking one or two years ahead, rather than for long-term.

9 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

It’s a family business, it will keep going as long as there is a market for it or until no one in the family want to carry on with it. 

Nail / head. No further discussion needed! It ends if emily cant be arsed with it and there is less than nothing to suggest that will ever be the case

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, lukethekid said:

I know there’s been a little mention of it in the past I also believe they suggested about moving the festival to somewhere else. 

Do we think we could be hit with a big shock after the 50th anniversary and they say that’s it, end of the road? 

They ruled out the other site and said it would only be for fallow years