Calling it a day

lukethekid

End of the Road   

236 members have voted

1. 1. Could this be the last one?

• Yes
    • No

Michael eavis has said he hopes it continues as long as it can, I also beleive that the deal with the council or whoever was to hold it for 5 years after the fallow, Pangea is also now a permanent structure there for 5 years. It’s almost certainly going to happen for another 3 after this one.

13 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I know there’s been a little mention of it in the past I also believe they suggested about moving the festival to somewhere else. 

Do we think we could be hit with a big shock after the 50th anniversary and they say that’s it, end of the road? 

Is there even any indication that this is being considered? Tickets just sold out in 35minutes. It would be bonkers to stop it now. ME may retire from it completely but Emily is more than capable of carrying it on

I can’t ever see myself not wanting to go but I’m sure Mr Charm wouldn’t bother if it wasn’t for me. He has been many more times than I have and think he would of stopped after 07. 

Charm x 

edit oh dear I clearly didn’t read the thread title properly. 

Edited by Charm

I don’t think it will be the last one, I voted No but I was just curious to see what people’s opinions are. I think it’s pretty evident it’s not gonna be the last one due to the fact they’ve just put permanent foundations in to the ground for a big fucking crane. Saying that though I don’t think it will last forever, I know they make money from it and obviously it’s going to be important for them to make as much money as possible for the whole family. It’s just one of them though isn’t it, are they going to be arsed to carry it on forever? I’m sure the job comes with it’s fair share of stress. Imagine if they said they were calling it a day but we’re gonna have one every 5 years, imagine the scramble for tickets then. 

10 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I don’t think it will be the last one, I voted No but I was just curious to see what people’s opinions are. I think it’s pretty evident it’s not gonna be the last one due to the fact they’ve just put permanent foundations in to the ground for a big fucking crane. Saying that though I don’t think it will last forever, I know they make money from it and obviously it’s going to be important for them to make as much money as possible for the whole family. It’s just one of them though isn’t it, are they going to be arsed to carry it on forever? I’m sure the job comes with it’s fair share of stress. Imagine if they said they were calling it a day but we’re gonna have one every 5 years, imagine the scramble for tickets then. 

It’s an interesting topic. The question of when Glastonbury will end might conjure a more split response. And whether, if the family did want to step back or it became unviable, they’d hand it over to a buyer.

It is definitely good for a few years but price increases naturally lower demand for something like this and, given that the fest needs to sell out to survive, when the lines of demand and supply are gonna meet is something to think about.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It’s an interesting topic. The question of when Glastonbury will end might conjure a more split response. And whether, if the family did want to step back or it became unviable, they’d hand it over to a buyer.

It is definitely good for a few years but price increases naturally lower demand for something like this and, given that the fest needs to sell out to survive, when the lines of demand and supply are gonna meet is something to think about.

I don’t think I could ever see them selling the whole thing, I could see them selling their expertise to someone who wants to carry it on in a different setting, someone they can share their knowledge and contacts with, saying that I’m sure they have a say on who’s playing the festival but I doubt they have much to do with anything beyond that anymore but I suppose they know the people who do run the whole thing.

Also price has increased and the demand seems to have only got bigger. 

It’s got a long while in it yet.

I wonder after the 50th whether the media will drift away from it.... who knows I guess!

I do think the years between 2010-2020 have been massive for the festival. It definitely expanded beyond what could possibly have been imagined in 2009! The BBC have closely followed this journey because gradual build towards the 50th anniversary makes for good journalism as nostalgia sells.

Once the big party is over I do think the hype from the BBC will gradually loosen.

1 hour ago, lukethekid said:

I know there’s been a little mention of it in the past I also believe they suggested about moving the festival to somewhere else. 

Do we think we could be hit with a big shock after the 50th anniversary and they say that’s it, end of the road? 

Am I actually related to you with your crazy arsed polls? ??

58 minutes ago, Charm said:

I can’t ever see myself not wanting to go but I’m sure Mr Charm wouldn’t bother if it wasn’t for me. He has been many more times than I have and think he would of stopped after 07. 

Charm x 

edit oh dear I clearly didn’t read the thread title properly. 

That's exactly what I thought when I answered the poll. Luckily it didn't change my answer once I'd bothered to read it properly!