50th Anniversary

Padgey

57 minutes ago, incident said:

No chance whatsoever, at least not without a significant licence change which would likely result in some pretty difficult negotiations with locals and would realistically need to already be in progress.

Remember that the last time they changed the licence for the Pyramid, to get the noise limit raised by a couple decibels, the trade off was to bring the curfew forward by 30 minutes. Can't imagine the locals would be keen on agreeing to an extra day without getting something significant (ie not viable) in return.

Fair enough was just a idea. Its not like Thursday are boring anyway but having a bigger act on a stage would be nice. 

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I stand corrected. Can I change my answer to Ash? ;)

Absolutely.  And the quality of headliner totally stands.

It reminds me of my friend who bought tickets for T In The Park just to see Bowie, just before he had his heart attack.  They were replaced by The Darkness.  He was so traumatised by the whole experience, he hasn't been to a festival since.

3 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

It reminds me of my friend who bought tickets for T In The Park just to see Bowie, just before he had his heart attack.  They were replaced by The Darkness.  He was so traumatised by the whole experience, he hasn't been to a festival since.

Muse had a huge crowd headlining the Second Stage that night.

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Did they? I should have watched them rather than The Darkness as that just left me trying to imagine Bowie up there on the main stage (And I never again got the chance to see him).

They were alright but I also couldn't shake the "it's not Bowie" feeling, I don't think there were any winners that night.

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

anything more been said about the possibility of the main stages opening on the the thursday as a one off?? 

I’m pretty sure this was debunked as they would have to open a lot of stages to ensure there wasn’t overcrowding on the ones that were open. Also there would have had to be changes in the license which I’m sure would be on public record somewhere. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m pretty sure this was debunked as they would have to open a lot of stages to ensure there wasn’t overcrowding on the ones that were open. Also there would have had to be changes in the license which I’m sure would be on public record somewhere. 

I thought that was were the suggestion came from? there has been an application for the license? 

38 minutes ago, Havors said:

I thought that was were the suggestion came from? there has been an application for the license? 

I'm not aware of an application.

I just googled the current licence, and - in it's short form, anyway - it doesn't disallow main stage music on the Thursday (or the Wednesday, too) - as 'live performances'.

However, I know from licence hearings i've sat in on that the council were *VERY* resistant to anything which increased the disruption to locals, which loud music on a school night defo would.

So presumably there's an agreement (formal or informal) between the fest and the council that any live stuff on Wed/Thurs is small stage stuff.

I guess an agreement could be altered in the background and no one would know, but i'd be surprised if the council allowed main stage music without at least consulting locals and giving them the opportunity to raise any objections they have - which I can't find anything about.

Edited by eFestivals

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I just googled the current licence, and - in it's short form, anyway - it doesn't disallow main stage music on the Thursday (or the Wednesday, too) - as 'live performances'.

However, I know from licence hearings i've sat in on that the council were *VERY* resistant to anything which increased the disruption to locals, which loud music on a school night defo would.

So presumably there's an agreement (formal or informal) between the fest and the council that any live stuff on Wed/Thurs is small stage stuff.

I guess an agreement could be altered in the background and no one would know, but i'd be surprised if the council allowed main stage music without at least consulting locals and giving them the opportunity to raise any objections they have - which I can't find anything about.

Yeah not sure what the rumour was born from but someone on here somewhere mentioned something about it... I would imagine they could get away with it for a one off... the noise from arcadia etc at 5am on the wed/thursday makes me thing having the stages on until about 9-10pm wouldnt be much of an issue if they really wanted it?

Probably just tall tales but I think it would be a great way to celebrate 50 years... im just greedy though and wish the festival actually ran monday to monday haha 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Unless it's changed in the most recent incarnation, the full version of the previous licence did include a schedule of when the individual stages/areas could operate, with the 8 or so largest stages specifically mentioned as being Friday to Sunday, with a 2 hour soundcheck period allowed on the Thursday evening.

There's also the offsite sound limits which are much, much lower on the Thursday and running the Pyramid at even half power would almost certainly exceed them.

Pretty sure it'd be a change of such significance that they couldn't do it without a full consultation.

And before anyone says it, no, they couldn't/wouldn't fudge something with that soundcheck window - they used to do that on the JazzWorld stage back in the day and got told off for it.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

From when I read the license document,  Each stage/bar is put in a grouping and then those grouping are given different hours that they can open. The main stages are the most restricted.  Page 11 of the existing license show this