Innes Christison

Hi Festy Goers,

What do you think to the idea of a fully sustainable rain poncho which doubles up as a blanket when flipped inside out? Me and my brother are thinking about developing this product and just looking to see if anyone would be interested in something like this? Feel free to throw us any thoughts that you have

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Innes Christison said:

Hi Festy Goers,

What do you think to the idea of a fully sustainable rain poncho which doubles up as a blanket when flipped inside out? Me and my brother are thinking about developing this product and just looking to see if anyone would be interested in something like this? Feel free to throw us any thoughts that you have

I've got a reusable poncho that I bought at an Army & Navy store, it can also be used as a blanket but is more like a tarpaulin.

If you wanted something thicker on one side to emulate a blanket, I think it would be too hot for a summer festival. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I've got a reusable poncho that I bought at an Army & Navy store, it can also be used as a blanket but is more like a tarpaulin.

If you wanted something thicker on one side to emulate a blanket, I think it would be too hot for a summer festival. 

Yes agree....you might get away with a microfleece lining but anything thicker would probably be too much...and microfleece won't meet the sustainable requirement. 

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Yes agree....you might get away with a microfleece lining but anything thicker would probably be too much...and microfleece won't meet the sustainable requirement. 

Awesome, thanks for commenting, so we would have to keep it light and thin, we are trying to aim it to the festival market, is there anything you as a festival goer would like in a product like this?

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Ahh cool thanks for replying, if you don't mind me asking what is it that you like about your poncho? and if you could add anything to it what would it be?

1 hour ago, Innes Christison said:

Ahh cool thanks for replying, if you don't mind me asking what is it that you like about your poncho? and if you could add anything to it what would it be?

I've not worn it for a few years as the weather has been great at every festival I've been to for a few years. 

I remember liking it because it was small, light, re-usable and kept me dry.

The main thing I remember was I had my camera dangling from round my neck, underneath the poncho and the zoom lens made it look like I was VERY pleased to be their.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I've not worn it for a few years as the weather has been great at every festival I've been to for a few years. 

The main thing I remember was I had my camera dangling from round my neck, underneath the poncho and the zoom lens made it look like I was VERY pleased to be their.

How long’s your strap mate?

Got two Peter storm reusable ponchos for a tenner this year from mountain warehouse. Pretty thick and warm. Never been out their bags!  It might be difficult keeping one side like a blanket and the other side a waterproofed material. We’ve also got a picnic type rug that’s got a waterproof base. Suppose if we cut a head size hole in the middle that would be a reversible blanket / poncho! 

Anyway all the best with e fests first entrepreneur 

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Hahahaha!! awesome man, yeah putting the blanket in is going to make it bigger and heavier, for portability we are thinking of being able to roll it up and then clip it around your waist like a belt? then you can just boogie without holding on to it or bringing a bag. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Some years ago The Schmangle (I think that’s the spelling) was briefly popular at festivals , I still have mine, on the outside it’s a waterproof green cape, on the inside it’s a blanket, so it’s adaptable to be a raincoat, a blanket, and something to sit on if the grounds wet. 

Niceee man! Yeah that's where we kind of got our inspiration from, we want to build one with more sustainable fabrics and by talking to festival peeps see if we can include anything else with it. Basically the ultimate functional ethical festival piece of clothing! haha. What did you think of the Schmangle? good things, bad things?

• Upvote 1

I dunno man.

The only buyers I can see will be the nanas that camp out at the pyramid stage all day taking up all the room and I think we could all do with less of that. And if it already exists and was *briefly* popular as suggested above I don’t think you’ll have more success just because it’s ethical.

Furthermore, how do you know the existing one isn’t sustainable AND, if it exists, and your only selling point is sustainability then I gotta say, you producing and selling these is probs either the same or worse for the environment than if you don’t launch this product.

And it calls your motives into question if the product already exists, like, is your goal really to make the world a better place by making a very unnecessary and very niche product marginally more environmentally friendly or is your goal to outcompete the existing product by saying you’re sustainable to make profit? Because if it’s the former, there are better ways to make an impact, so I guess it’s either the latter or u r dum du

edit: actually on second thoughts do it what do I know, put all your life’s savings into it and convince your ma n da to back you too, it’s a great idea that will make you the wedge that you definitely deserve

Edited by mattiloy
(It won’t)

23 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I dunno man.

The only buyers I can see will be the nanas that camp out at the pyramid stage all day taking up all the room and I think we could all do with less of that. And if it already exists and was *briefly* popular as suggested above I don’t think you’ll have more success just because it’s ethical.

Furthermore, how do you know the existing one isn’t sustainable AND, if it exists, and your only selling point is sustainability then I gotta say, you producing and selling these is probs either the same or worse for the environment than if you don’t launch this product.

And it calls your motives into question if the product already exists, like, is your goal really to make the world a better place by making a very unnecessary and very niche product marginally more environmentally friendly or is your goal to outcompete the existing product by saying you’re sustainable to make profit? Because if it’s the former, there are better ways to make an impact, so I guess it’s either the latter or u r dum du

edit: actually on second thoughts do it what do I know, put all your life’s savings into it and convince your ma n da to back you too, it’s a great idea that will make you the wedge that you definitely deserve

Hey man, thanks for replying, yeah to be honest there are some things that you have said that we really need to take into consideration such as just making something for the sake of making something, this is why we are doing some research now just to see if there is a market for this product, if we find out no one wants it we are not going to make it, that is unsustainable, however, from the research we have done into other ponchos, it seems we would be one of very few people selling a sustainable and reusable poncho. 95% of rain ponchos on the market now are made from plastic polyester and a lot of them are disposable. Our number one aim isn't to make profit at all, it's about giving people a sustainable alternative and hopefully reducing the amount of plastic waste at festivals. 

7 hours ago, Innes Christison said:

Niceee man! Yeah that's where we kind of got our inspiration from, we want to build one with more sustainable fabrics and by talking to festival peeps see if we can include anything else with it. Basically the ultimate functional ethical festival piece of clothing! haha. What did you think of the Schmangle? good things, bad things?

As a waterproof cape it was a little awkward, there was a tie to keep it in place (by the neck) but that broke way too easily. It was heavy to lug around too. Being waterproof on one side and blanket in the other was good, versatile. On some really wet festivals it did the job.