Paul McCartney

Demarcation

The Best beatles album is for me Abbey Road, pretty much a perfect Beatles Album. (Barring Her Majesty - that can get in the bin). Best Artwork too IMO.

the White Album has the highest highs of any of their albums in my opnion. It's just absolutely mental, doesn't flow & has a lot of guff in it. I still love it though.

Rubber Soul... crap. Cant stick it. In my life is in my top 10 most hated songs of all time. 

Im 38 & obviously didnt grow up when they were around 

14 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

So what is the best Beatles album then?

Rubber Soul/Revolver viewed as one double album.

Absolutely loved being there for McCartney's set. I saw him on the Pyramid in 2004 and was "great" to see him there again! 10/10 performance for me.

It depends what sort of mood you're in - you can't beat the energy, brilliant pop-song writing and really fresh inventiveness of the early albums (Beatles For Sale a bit of a departure with quite a lot of cover songs - they were clearly in a rush). Then Revolver really breaks the mold and takes you on a journey waayyy beyond popular song-writing as it stood in the mid-60s, which they did in even grander style with Sgt Pepper. Magical Mystery Tour was a bit limp as they'd just lost Epstein and were recovering their energy and creativity, but The Beatles is epic in scope and creativity, Let It Be is the catalogue of an interesting experiment with some fantastic songs, and Abbey Road really did cap it all off in the most magnificent way imaginable.

Out of all of them I do find myself going back time after time to Abbey Road

Edited by billum

17 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The Best beatles album is for me Abbey Road, pretty much a perfect Beatles Album. (Barring Her Majesty - that can get in the bin). Best Artwork too IMO.

the White Album has the highest highs of any of their albums in my opnion. It's just absolutely mental, doesn't flow & has a lot of guff in it. I still love it though.

Rubber Soul... crap. Cant stick it. In my life is in my top 10 most hated songs of all time. 

Im 38 & obviously didnt grow up when they were around 

Abbey Road is close to being my favourite, almost the perfect album for me.  I can never quite shake that it’s tinged by so much sadness though. 

He mentioned John, he mentioned George, he went on about Duff (?) and some others that confused me, he even mentioned Jimi Hendrix giving a vibrator some welly (O.O) but unless I missed it, did he ever mention Ringo by name?

If not, why not - does he have a beef with him? Or did he mention him?

Driven almost entirely by what my parents listened to when I was a kid, and what got played most frequently over Sunday lunch, I'd have to say Abbey Road for me. White Album a close second.

I also have a huge soft spot for Yellow Submarine. To this day I have no idea how I came by it, but I had it on cassette when I was about 11.  It's got some nonsense on it and side 2 is instrumental soundtrack, but any album that has Only A Northern Song, Hey Bulldog, It's All Too Much and All You Need Is Love has to be considered to be immense.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Driven almost entirely by what my parents listened to when I was a kid, and what got played most frequently over Sunday lunch, I'd have to say Abbey Road for me. White Album a close second.

I also have a huge soft spot for Yellow Submarine. To this day I have no idea how I came by it, but I had it on cassette when I was about 11.  It's got some nonsense on it and side 2 is instrumental soundtrack, but any album that has Only A Northern Song, Hey Bulldog, It's All Too Much and All You Need Is Love has to be considered to be immense.

One of my favourite Beatle things

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 7/2/2022 at 6:36 PM, The Red Telephone said:

How good was last Saturday? I fucking love “Band On The Run” with Sprinty Dave

It took me to Blackbird to start crying but during Band On The Run I was in bits (first solo McCartney song I'd properly head that lead me into having an interest in his solo stuff) and my sister looks at me and says "did you really want him to sing this?" I looked her dead in the eye and replied "No its just a tune" with tears streaming down my face hahaha

I must add I was stone cold sober. What a show it was!

• Upvote 1

Looking back at the setlist I'm realising just how good it was.  We were quite far back and suffering a bit from the sound so probably wasn't as invested at the time as I should have been (plus I was more than a bit pished), but as I look at the list I'm remembering singing along to them and having a fine old time. Lovely stuff.

17 minutes ago, The Nal said:

One of my favourite Beatle things

That's glorious. Just a monstrously good song.