Paul McCartney

Demarcation

44 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The irony being theres always lots of room up behind the pit once those selfish cretins with the chairs finally decide to stand up

For Kylie, a lady had her entire picnic blanket laid out not far behind the two bushes on the hill, she was genuinely cross when people started to stand on it because she refused to put it away the selfish sod.

22 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Never knew they closed off pyramid when it's been busy

I think they suggested they might have to close it off for the Rolling Stones, but it never actually happened.

They actually reduced the size of the Row Mead campsite in 2013 to accommodate for the Stones, but it wasn't really required in the end, and there was plenty of room up the back the whole show. I think this is why they didn't bother with the campsite reduction again. We turned up late and watched from the back, people were coming and going the whole time with plenty of space.

Frankly, Kylie was much busier, which I also watched from the back having turned up late. The whole of Row Mead was filled with people standing between the tents for a spot, and the path across Row Mead was a total crush zone. Certainly nobody was closing the field then, and it was crazy busy compared to the Stones.

I remember turning up late for Dolly Parton, and the rest of the Glastonbury site was a ghost town. Never seen anything like it. There were even digital traffic arrows directing people to the back of the field when entering from the John Peel side. They definitely closed the front entrances to the field.

9 minutes ago, Sku said:

I think they suggested they might have to close it off for the Rolling Stones, but it never actually happened.

They actually reduced the size of the Row Mead campsite in 2013 to accommodate for the Stones, but it wasn't really required in the end, and there was plenty of room up the back the whole show. I think this is why they didn't bother with the campsite reduction again. We turned up late and watched from the back, people were coming and going the whole time with plenty of space.

Frankly, Kylie was much busier, which I also watched from the back having turned up late. The whole of Row Mead was filled with people standing between the tents for a spot, and the path across Row Mead was a total crush zone. Certainly nobody was closing the field then, and it was crazy busy compared to the Stones.

Here are a couple of old posts that confirm they did close off the main entrances to the field: 

26 minutes ago, Sku said:

It never fails to blow my mind when I hear a story like this about Kylie's set or see a photo of the crowd. Somehow, I was at the front for her set, maybe 3 rows back. Whenever I see that huge photo of the crowd, I'll show my girlfriend and ask "Can you believe we were at the front of that?"

20190630-165650.jpeg

Edited by K2SO
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, K2SO said:

It never fails to blow my mind when I hear a story like this about Kylie's set or see a photo of the crowd. Somehow, I was at the front for her set, maybe 3 rows back. Whenever I see that huge photo of the crowd, I'll show my girlfriend and ask "Can you believe we were at the front of that?"

20190630-165650.jpeg

You should be so lucky.

Lucky, lucky, lucky.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, henry bear said:

He did 29 songs at IOW in 2010. I’m guessing we’ll get something like that. His festival setlists tend to be shorter than his regular shows

Of course yes. You've always got to expect a shorter festival set than their own actual shows. You don't pay the extra to see them in person for no reason afterall

3 hours ago, K2SO said:

20190630-165650.jpeg

Great photo! 🙂 

48 minutes ago, big hog said:

Never heard of the field getting shut off for The Stones, surely there's no chance of that. I've got to watch Mitski ffs.

wasnt shut, just you had to enter at the back of the field rather than the normal routes in by JP etc.

Can't see Macca pulling the same crowd

37 minutes ago, august1 said:

wasnt shut, just you had to enter at the back of the field rather than the normal routes in by JP etc.

Can't see Macca pulling the same crowd

Nah definitely not. Doesn’t have the same ‘must be there’ feeling to it (not least because he’s done it before’. Also the alternative headliners on the other main stages are more interesting than the ones the Stones had to compete with. 

5 hours ago, mazola said:

I remember when they closed West Holts, or Jazz World as it would have been then for Rolf Harris. Hard to believe now

Yep.  That was mental.  We were next to Grande Bouffe and it was rammed all the way down past the toilets on the way to Leftfield.  Oh for 20/20 foresight......

On 6/9/2022 at 5:32 PM, broken monkey said:

I remember turning up late for Dolly Parton, and the rest of the Glastonbury site was a ghost town. Never seen anything like it. There were even digital traffic arrows directing people to the back of the field when entering from the John Peel side. They definitely closed the front entrances to the field.

Yep it was bonkers trying to get it all moving afterwards