Paul McCartney

Demarcation

7 hours ago, incident said:

Calm down lad.

I'm not suggestion Macca "has" to do anything because he's on TV - I said he may choose to trim a few songs. That's not a wild idea - we've seen people do exactly that in the past, just as we've seen people play their full tour set, and for that matter we've seen people rework their show entirely.

Not sure why Radiohead would be relevant to that, though personally their set in 2017 isn't one I'd use as an example of a band getting it right.

They threw in Creep and  Fake Plastic Trees into that set and only one track from King of Limbs along with a lot of OKC songs. Thats def playing to the audience, and they said they had been deciding what to play for Glasto for weeks ahead cause they knew the significance of it with the 20th anniversary of OKC happening along with the gig.

Big dilemma really. I was never big into the Beatles, but of course there's some great songs, I like some of the Wings stuff and I don't think I'll ever have another opportunity to see Paul McCartney. I can already imagining watching it on the BBC afterwards and wishing I had been there. However, I am also a Waterboys fan of 36 years' standing... The Waterboys have a long history with Glastonbury. In 2007 I saw them at three different stages. I feel I can't not go and see them.

I am going as an Oxfam volunteer, so nearly hoping that I'll be working and won't have to decide.

1 minute ago, Watergirl said:

Big dilemma really. I was never big into the Beatles, but of course there's some great songs, I like some of the Wings stuff and I don't think I'll ever have another opportunity to see Paul McCartney. I can already imagining watching it on the BBC afterwards and wishing I had been there. However, I am also a Waterboys fan of 36 years' standing... The Waterboys have a long history with Glastonbury. In 2007 I saw them at three different stages. I feel I can't not go and see them.

I am going as an Oxfam volunteer, so nearly hoping that I'll be working and won't have to decide.

I remember seeing The Waterboys opening the Saturday on the Pyramid in 1984, same day the Smiths played.

I reckon you could watch them on Acoustic and then hot foot it to watch the last 45 minutes or so of Macca, which is exactly what Mike Scott said he’d do

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

They threw in Creep and  Fake Plastic Trees into that set and only one track from King of Limbs along with a lot of OKC songs. Thats def playing to the audience, and they said they had been deciding what to play for Glasto for weeks ahead cause they knew the significance of it with the 20th anniversary of OKC happening along with the gig.

“Band plays most popular songs during Glastonbury headline set shocker”

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I reckon you could watch them on Acoustic and then hot foot it to watch the last 45 minutes or so of Macca, which is exactly what Mike Scott said he’d do

Ah, excellent! I was wondering about that because I know he is a massive fan.

51 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I am pretty much in the same boat as you.  I think I will be going to see the Waterboys (though it may change).  I have not seen too many Pyramids headliners, and often opt for the alternative options.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, henry bear said:

I remember seeing The Waterboys opening the Saturday on the Pyramid in 1984, same day the Smiths played.

My plan and Mike Scott’s are aligned. Where did he share that? I was assuming it would be a clash that I would have to manage.

Maybe Mike can pile a few of us in a land rover and get us a side stage spot for Macca?

• Upvote 1

Very interested to see if Macca tailors the set to Glastonbury, or if he reckons he's above that.  I would be sorry not to hear Jet, or Coming Up. He definitely does play those.

Mr Kite is an odd one.  He played it when I saw him in Glasgow in 2018.  It's a John song.  Help! or, given the recent documentary, Don't Let Me Down, seem much more obvious John Songs to choose.  Or even Tomorrow Never Knows, given Macca is always keen to point out the tape loops were his idea.  But I'm not sure he has ever performed any of these.  

ps until reading recent posts here I haven't even entertained seeing Noel as a credible option.  But maybe he would be good fun.

Just now, Johndenis said:

Very interested to see if Macca tailors the set to Glastonbury, or if he reckons he's above that.  I would be sorry not to hear Jet, or Coming Up. He definitely does play those.

Mr Kite is an odd one.  He played it when I saw him in Glasgow in 2018.  It's a John song.  Help! or, given the recent documentary, Don't Let Me Down, seem much more obvious John Songs to choose.  Or even Tomorrow Never Knows, given Macca is always keen to point out the tape loops were his idea.  But I'm not sure he has ever performed any of these.  

ps until reading recent posts here I haven't even entertained seeing Noel as a credible option.  But maybe he would be good fun.

In a set full of taps aff moments, that would top the lot.

13 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

In a set full of taps aff moments, that would top the lot.

He may do something that cool. Helter Skelter was first played for Glasto in 04. Played it in the gigs running up to the fest to get it down for th farm. No setlists, youtube etc back then so it was a surprise. 

Love Mr Kite live btw, hope he plays it.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Macca's recently(-ish) started to claim to have had a hand in writing Mr Kite, which explains why it's in the set and something like Tomorrow Never Knows isn't.

Imagine picking Mr Kite as your hill to die on when you could make a claim on literally any song and John wouldn't be able to contradict you 

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Macca's recently(-ish) started to claim to have had a hand in writing Mr Kite, which explains why it's in the set and something like Tomorrow Never Knows isn't.

Yeah that revisionist stuff started in the Many Years From Now book. Lorra Beatles fans not happy. 

14 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

I am pretty much in the same boat as you.  I think I will be going to see the Waterboys (though it may change).  I have not seen too many Pyramids headliners, and often opt for the alternative options.

Likewise.  But then I watched Coldplay on the player and wished I had been there...

2 hours ago, Neville Street said:

Maybe Mike can pile a few of us in a land rover and get us a side stage spot for Macca?

Yes... I cannot imagine Mike with wellies trundling through the mud past Williams Green....

4 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Yes... I cannot imagine Mike with wellies trundling through the mud past Williams Green....

I am sure you saw the article about their 3 stages weekend in 2007? We were also at all 3 of those sets. They went out to a hotel each night. He did describe getting a hat along the way, maybe even from somebody that was alongside their vehicle? My memory may be wrong though

2 hours ago, Johndenis said:

It’s a shame to think of all the bangers he doesn’t do live anymore, and the likes of Coming Up and Jet were once pretty much guaranteed - but for whatever reason not anymore.

I had hoped that given the gap between tours, he’d have given the setlist a big shake-up, but apart from a few surprises, it’s pretty much as was.

I think there’s the prospect of one or two surprises at Glastonbury - maybe something like Mull of Kintyre, but on the whole it’ll be a slightly shortened version of the current set. 

Whatever we get, it’ll be party central

4 hours ago, Neville Street said:

I am sure you saw the article about their 3 stages weekend in 2007? We were also at all 3 of those sets. They went out to a hotel each night. He did describe getting a hat along the way, maybe even from somebody that was alongside their vehicle? My memory may be wrong though

Yes, I read that. I was thinking how much you miss, spending all that time travelling back and forth. Was a good read all the same though.