Paul McCartney

Demarcation

43 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Really hoping for something a little less esoteric than that at Glastonbury. I'm sure the setlist in June will be different, I don't think the first ten songs in that set will sustain my dwindling attention span.

Coachella 2009 was this and thats the first time i saw him. First 15 had 4 beatles songs til he went into it. I really dont think its going to change too too much. He is going to get his 2 1/2 Hours and do what he does. Its a matter of if maybe Ringo joins him and if he cuts a couple solo songs to throw in like Helter Skelter and Sgt Pepper or something. Then I saw him again in 2014 and it was still the same structure, just with a few different songs. The guy cant just literally be a Beatles karaoke group, he has his own material for a reason. If Lennon was still alive I doubt he would do any different than Paul except maybe be weirder?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2009/empire-polo-club-indio-ca-bd62d62.html

Dance tonight is a fun song live, Fuh You can be Fuh'd off though.

I'm slowly making my way through his lyrics book at the moment and in that he says Here, There and Everywhere is his favourite of his own songs so I was hoping that talking about it would have made him consider putting it in.

Overall I'm pretty happy with that. The run from Something to the end is incredible. 

Just seen this, it’s a great setlist in my opinion not sure what people were expecting but that has made me more excited. Yea it’s gonna build and the singalongs will be at the end but that’s how I want an epic headliner set to finish.  This is the first time I’ve been excited about a pyramid headliner since 2014 (and I thought AF were a bit disappointed  that night and were much better the last time I saw them). For me this is what’s so great about Glastonbury, a legend who I’ve never seen, would never pay to go and see solo and 100k plus people along for the ride.

I feel very mixed about the upcoming PM set.

Obviously want to be there but a few things are putting me off, including:

- spending a lot of time getting to and from the stage with A LOT of people, and it generally being rammed when there

- people talking through wings and solo stuff which is the stuff I'd really be looking forward to. obviously excited about a lot of beatles material but stuff like helter skelter likely to feature late on

- the Hey Jude singalong - don't get me started

- really want to see Waterboys. seen them before but would love to enjoy the headline set at glastonbury, feel it would be more special for me personally.

Any others feeling mixed? Seen some good points in this thread.

on the flip side his setlist is looking amazing and hear the band is TIGHT!

Just now, Clarence Clemons said:

- spending a lot of time getting to and from the stage with A LOT of people, and it generally being rammed when there

- people talking through wings and solo stuff which is the stuff I'd really be looking forward to. obviously excited about a lot of beatles material but stuff like helter skelter likely to feature late on

- really want to see Waterboys. seen them before but would love to enjoy the headline set at glastonbury, feel it would be more special for me personally.

I'm feeling this - our group is thinking give up getting to the front, we're just gonna have a big sing song together near the back and make a dart at the end for some late night activities

Hey Jude singalong is a massive turn off 99% of the time but surely McCartney at Glasto is one of the very very rare times you're allowed to just let yourself go with it?

1 minute ago, Clarence Clemons said:

Yes, I do. I still have the feeling I 'have' to be there as a last opportunity to see a Beatle live, so I will be there, but maybe not for the entire set. If it's a brilliant show from the start I'll stay. There's plenty of good solo stuff and I don't think it should be just a run through the best of the Beatles, but (like any set) there's weak spots. I'm also happier these days to avoid the biggest audiences and prefer more intimate shows.

7 minutes ago, Clarence Clemons said:

I don’t think people are just gonna start talking through the solo stuff or Wings stuff. Maybe some of it, namely any newer stuff, will have people less engaged, but it’s still a Glastonbury headline set that will have most people there enthralled. And it’ll be busy yeah but not notably so when you’re in the crowd - you wont be getting crushed or anything like that. 

And yeah as said above, a Hey Jude singalong in any other circumstance is pure cringe, but Macca doing it himself, at Glastonbury?! That’s gonna be incredible.