Paul McCartney

Demarcation

Thinking about the generations he's entertained.

Got a message off my mum to say she loved it on tv on Saturday night. To think that she and my long departed dad used to watch them in the Cavern and there's her grandson, 18 years old and loving it in the Pyramid field... fuck man, incredible what he's done.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Thinking about the generations he's entertained.

Got a message off my mum to say she loved it on tv on Saturday night. To think that she and my long departed dad used to watch them in the Cavern and there's her grandson, 18 years old and loving it in the Pyramid field... fuck man, incredible what he's done.

It's not an exaggeration to say that *that man there*, along with his three mates, changed the world forever, beyond "just" giving us the best music we'd ever heard

There were times in the set where I found myself just stood still in complete awe, some of those songs I probably should have been dancing.

I'm not sure that's ever happened to me with any other artist. It will always be such a surreal night for me

I have a wonderful ex-colleague who used to frequently state that "if Paul McCartney were playing in my garden, I'd close the curtains". I'm used to people being weirdly proud about their disdain for/indifference to The Beatles, so I would shrug, counter with my undying devotion to them, and we'd get on with our day. 

Anyway, this exchange in our groupchat the morning after Macca's set brought me no little amount of joy 🥰 Truly a moment, for so many.

2080023861_Polish_20220702_2244480434.thumb.jpg.947e6a459cc7fb333161ca6b626bf482.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

So any truth to reports that the sound on the live broadcast was bad? The iplayer version sounds fab on my system.

One person who said it was my dad so I'd like to know, but I've seen it elsewhere as well

I've heard that too - the version that went out on the night was apparently not a great mix. The full set seemed to be a bit slow to go up on iPlayer, and maybe that was because they were giving it a good old remix and polish - it's certainly great now, as you say

52 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

So any truth to reports that the sound on the live broadcast was bad? The iplayer version sounds fab on my system.

One person who said it was my dad so I'd like to know, but I've seen it elsewhere as well

I was watching a recording and wasn't impressed by the sound at all, vocal levels were all over the shop. 

This was the most age-diverse set I went to all festival, understandably.

As we had the oldest AND youngest headliners (80/20) Who can lay claim (or knows someone that can) to the oldest/youngest person at McCartney's set (or watching at home?)

Also fascinated by what that means in Beatles/Macca's history.

I was born 13 years after John Lennon was killed, so seeing *The Beatles* was obviously not a possibility, but I was brought up on them by my now nearly 70 year old dad.

Did anyone at his set see the actual Beatles? What was it like seeing both ends of such an incredible musical story?!