Paul McCartney

Demarcation

Just re-watching the set from this time one week ago. I was wondering if I had just enjoyed it so much as I was viewing it through fanboy-tinted glasses, but no it really is a fantastic set.
And to the haters….he still has a fab voice! Yes, in certain ranges he struggles but the bloke’s been singing his head off for 65 years, (65 years!) give him a break! 

The only thing that marred it slightly for me was the ignorant twats that yakked or mocked paul throughout the set. These were the same people that went orgasmic when Dave Grohl was announced (oh but went back to chatting again after a few mins). w*nkers. Also, flag w*nkers. 

Edited by PassingCloud
Fuck ups

11 hours ago, AlexE87 said:

He said “we’ve never played this one live” before You Never Give Me Your Money… but they’ve been playing it all tour at least! 

Yeah I was a bit confused about this too - in older days he used to do a solo piano version of You Never Give Me Your Money, with hardly anything of the second section ('Out of college, money spent....'), and none of it as a band song. As you say, this whole US tour, he's done it just as he did it for us, and every night he announced "We've never played this live before!" 😁

So he must mean they've never played that second section, as a band, before this tour (and of course it was the first time in the UK when he played it at..... the Cheese and Grain on the Friday!). So we saw the first official live gig playing that bit as a whole band in the UK (if you ignore the Cheese and Grain event).

HTH 🤣

2 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

I was born 10 years after Sgt Pepper was released. But I love seeing teenagers singing all the words to Beatles song.

I know what you mean. I was 20 last time Macca played Glasto, and it made me so happy to see the "young people" this year loving it as much as me 🥰

4 minutes ago, billum said:

Yeah I was a bit confused about this too - in older days he used to do a solo piano version of You Never Give Me Your Money, with hardly anything of the second section ('Out of college, money spent....'), and none of it as a band song. As you say, this whole US tour, he's done it just as he did it for us, and every night he announced "We've never played this live before!" 😁

So he must mean they've never played that second section, as a band, before this tour (and of course it was the first time in the UK when he played it at..... the Cheese and Grain on the Friday!). So we saw the first official live gig playing that bit as a whole band in the UK (if you ignore the Cheese and Grain event).

HTH 🤣

He's quite familiar with the "It is the first we're playing this song..." trick. He usually adds a mention "In Europe / in France / in 2022 / during a full Moon / with an outside temperature of 17.6 °C ...." 😀

3rd run through for me tonight, by god it’s good. 
It’s still Hey Jude that’s getting the feels the most though, swear I’ve not heard noise like it. 
Macca, at 80 years and thousands of gigs later, trying and successfully reaching the high notes that I was miserably failing at after losing my voice at Big Easy Jam two days earlier…

• Upvote 1

I've been mainlining Wings from Spotify straight into my veins all day.  Band on the Run with Diamond Dave was fucking belter.  Completely lost my shit.

24 minutes ago, franswa said:

He's quite familiar with the "It is the first we're playing this song..." trick. He usually adds a mention "In Europe / in France / in 2022 / during a full Moon / with an outside temperature of 17.6 °C ...." 😀

🤣 first time since he turned 80 perhaps?

Edited by billum

1 minute ago, Poorside.2 said:

Just watched it back, TV doesn't do it an ounce of justice, especially Live and let die, I did enjoy seeing what was on the screens behind him though.

True.  Atmosphere was unreal on the night.  Everyone singing at the top of their voice and dancing their ass off. 

Just re-watching it too - got to Get Back, and noticed that Brian Ray (guitarist on our right, Macca's left) took the solos in it. I *could* be over-thinking it, but wonder if Brain was 'playing Lennon' and playing the solos that Lennon played originally, and Rusty, the other guitarist (on Macca's right) was playing the George parts (obviously far more of them, so he was playing most of the solos in the Beatles stuff).

Will have to run it all through again and see if there are any examples of that *not* happening, unless anyone else has been this obsessive too and noticed this sort of pattern......?

7 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

True.  Atmosphere was unreal on the night.  Everyone singing at the top of their voice and dancing their ass off. 

This. I usually find that the BBC videos don't render the volume of the crowd singing as loud as it actually was.

I'm watching it back as well. The power of his voice on Maybe I'm Amazed  is simply incredible ! He pushed it very far, and never fails. With 2 hours of show remaining after that...

13 minutes ago, billum said:

Just re-watching it too - got to Get Back, and noticed that Brian Ray (guitarist on our right, Macca's left) took the solos in it. I *could* be over-thinking it, but wonder if Brain was 'playing Lennon' and playing the solos that Lennon played originally, and Rusty, the other guitarist (on Macca's right) was playing the George parts (obviously far more of them, so he was playing most of the solos in the Beatles stuff).

Will have to run it all through again and see if there are any examples of that *not* happening, unless anyone else has been this obsessive too and noticed this sort of pattern......?

Definitely overthinking it. 😜