Paul McCartney

Demarcation

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Bloody Hell, Barry's come out with some bollocks over the years but he's outdoing himself here.

Doesn’t surprise me. Sadly, my shift prevented me from being there, however I’ve just watched it on iPlayer. Was perhaps partly hoping it was shit, because I missed it..... but no, I’ve got after the event guttedness that I wasn’t in that field. Superb.

Regarding Barry.... and in complete non Glastonbury fashion..... he’s as close to I’ve ever been to blocking someone on an online forum. If there one thing I cannot stand, and completely ruins my Glastonbury vibe, it’s a human being who can never, ever, see the positive in anything. Read his posting history, and compare it to anyone else’s. Mine if you like. If you can find a single uplifting post, you’re a better efestivals contributor than I.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Well thats not true at all - I was loving Diana 🙂  and Olivia 🙂 and Billie 😄 

Just not Macca...  Don't block me - don't live in an echo chamber x

I won’t Barry. It’s not how I roll. But maybe try to balance your posts to include some of your positive experiences.... like Diana, Olivia and Bille more often? 😎 x

Thought the second half of his set was great - less keen on his solo/Wings material.

Shame he didn't do Hard Day's Night or Eleanor Rigby, which I believe he has performed sometimes on tours in the last few years. And Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (I guess this one was primarily Lennon's though)

There were several weak songs - My Valentine (with Depp appearing on the screen) and Fuh You could have been gladly replaced with Beatles tunes...

22 minutes ago, MB1234 said:

Thought the second half of his set was great - less keen on his solo/Wings material.

Shame he didn't do Hard Day's Night or Eleanor Rigby, which I believe he has performed sometimes on tours in the last few years. And Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (I guess this one was primarily Lennon's though)

There were several weak songs - My Valentine (with Depp appearing on the screen) and Fuh You could have been gladly replaced with Beatles tunes...

I think most headliners have lulls though. Even the Stones, who stormed it, had that bit where Jagger went off.

Whilst I agree Fuh You and another could have gone for Jet or another Beatles one (A Hard Days Night was my favourite as a kid), Macca was basically doing a career set and played 23 Beatles songs (more Stones songs than the Stones played) and the last 90 minutes was probably the best that stage has seen.

People around me who were ambivalent about him before and even (perhaps more so?) at half way had been losing their minds for a solid hour or so by the end. That’s why it is probably best I’ve seen, regardless of the relative flatness of the first half (which still included a few bangers). The last 90 was just nuts. The only time I’ve ever genuinely felt like my face may fall off. 

Edited by strummer77

He’s headlined before with what was basically a greatest hits medley. This one felt a little more personal to Paul, like it meant more. For 90 mins he played the songs he wanted to play. Looking back on his career and realising he’s in the home straight. 

He then of course obliged and launched into a final 90 mins of crowd pleasing joy. Pulling out all the stops including flying Dave & Bruce in. A highly significant moment for Dave too given the year he’s had

His set list was double that of what The Rolling Stones play these days. A phenomenal talent , the modern day Mozart and one we will never see the like of again. It’s astounding to see the songs he left out, he could easily have headlined the Sunday too with those. A night to remember for the rest of your life.

Edited by Mud Dweller
  • Upvote 1

I’m mystified why people have expressed any surprise regarding the setlist, it’s more or less what he’s been performing all tour, and that info was there for all to see.

Yes, we’ve all got favourites we’d like to have seen included, but live I thought some of the newer stuff like Come On To Me and Fuh You worked well. The crowd lapped it all up where I was.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The less familiar stuff is hardly Jazz Oddyssey and there was always a cast iron classic a few minutes away. All the moaners were doing was proudly announcing that they have the same attention span as a midgie.

We were way up the back, and thinking / looking back the main issue we (I?) had with it was the the sound for his patter in between songs was really quiet. End result was it just sounded quite mumbly and a bit lost, which took me out of the music a wee bit, and that seemed to tie in with the songs that I didn't know so well. But looking back at the setlist (need to watch iplayer as well) I'm now remembering just how much fun that set actually was.

2 hours ago, Mud Dweller said:

He’s headlined before with what was basically a greatest hits medley. This one felt a little more personal to Paul, like it meant more. For 90 mins he played the songs he wanted to play. Looking back on his career and realising he’s in the home straight. 

He then of course obliged and launched into a final 90 mins of crowd pleasing joy. Pulling out all the stops including flying Dave & Bruce in. A highly significant moment for Dave too given the year he’s had

His set list was double that of what The Rolling Stones play these days. A phenomenal talent , the modern day Mozart and one we will never see the like of again. It’s astounding to see the songs he left out, he could easily have headlined the Sunday too with those. A night to remember for the rest of your life.

He was basically doing an autobiography with his music. It was emotional at the time but watching back it hits home that this may well be the last time we get to see the greatest of all time play on the most iconic stage in the world. 

It’s genuinely the best you will ever get on the Pyramid and anyone there is privileged beyond belief, even getting to watch it back home is up there.

Never to be beaten. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

A major factor on how much a headliner works for you is where you end up watching it and the crowd that you have round you. The only headliner I've ever left is The Cure last year, we were back on the hill and it just wasn't doing it for me, yet on here a few days later people were claiming it was incredible. If we were down in the action it may have been a different story. We ended up at Janelle Monae that year so no regrets.

Got there before Noel this year so were in the thick of it and couldn't have had a better crowd round us.

• Upvote 1

Haven't checked the BBC footage yet, but will be on the iPlayer later for sure.  I've been singing songs from this set in my head ever since (largely because my voice is still broken from actually singing them on the night).

14 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Haven't checked the BBC footage yet, but will be on the iPlayer later for sure.  I've been singing songs from this set in my head ever since (largely because my voice is still broken from actually singing them on the night).

Just watched it back. Stunning live and also stunning on replay, but each affected me in different ways. Live was all about the sense of occasion, atmosphere, intensity and epic singalongs. A magical night. On tv I picked up a lot more of the subtle stuff and  emotional content, all of which was utterly compelling and I found it very emotional to watch. This was a masterful, beautiful and truly epic performance on so many levels - one for the ages. 

Edited by marktea
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

At his age, I'd be damning the interview and heading straight for a restorative Bovril.

He mentioned going to bed a couple of times and concluded with a sleepytime gesture.

But, brilliantly, the last thing he did before he left was a double thumbs up into the camera.

Truly the gods were walking amongst us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mazola said:

A major factor on how much a headliner works for you is where you end up watching it and the crowd that you have round you. The only headliner I've ever left is The Cure last year, we were back on the hill and it just wasn't doing it for me, yet on here a few days later people were claiming it was incredible. If we were down in the action it may have been a different story. We ended up at Janelle Monae that year so no regrets.

Got there before Noel this year so were in the thick of it and couldn't have had a better crowd round us.

i say it to all my group, position position position. crowd location can make or break a set. i tend to sacrifice seeing some stuff to get in among the super fans. made sets like o-rod, kenny, confidence man, sam fender really special.