Paul McCartney

Demarcation

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Johnny Depp was also a bum note.

Yep it helped that he has become such a bloated mess of a man that I was wondering if it was him. 

I say this as a woman who grew up in the peak Johnny Depp years and fancied him like crazy but what the fuck is up with all the people who were hoping he would turn up at Glastonbury. Whatever your opinion on that trial there’s no doubting that he is a seriously messed up dude and his attitude to women is questionable at least. However much I used to love him I wouldn’t go and see him if he appeared at the end of my garden now. 

Didn't have the greatest hits factor that 2004 had, but the last 60 minutes or so was up there with the best hours of my life.

Having said that, super glad I planned to get in the front, because can easily see how the crowd further back with more casual watchers might have got restless early on. 

18 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep it helped that he has become such a bloated mess of a man that I was wondering if it was him. 

I say this as a woman who grew up in the peak Johnny Depp years and fancied him like crazy but what the fuck is up with all the people who were hoping he would turn up at Glastonbury. Whatever your opinion on that trial there’s no doubting that he is a seriously messed up dude and his attitude to women is questionable at least. However much I used to love him I wouldn’t go and see him if he appeared at the end of my garden now. 

I assumed it was a video for the single rather than something filmed specifically El Pointo. Should have been binned regardless.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

I assumed it was a video for the single rather than something filmed specifically El Pointo. Should have been binned regardless.

Yep thankfully I was on the other side of the stage so had the image of the woman instead so didn’t intrude on me too much! 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ah that's interesting. Was wondering how the two compared. What improved it?

Everything. Setlist in 04 was more Beatlesy but his stage craft has improved so much since. 04 was great, but a little ploddy in between songs, slightly cringy chat and not as much energy. It rained a few times in 04 aswell.

The fucker seems immortal. The energy from the man was palpable on Saturday night. He seemed to be enjoying it much more, the stage show itself is far better and there was a sense you were watching the Don of modern music delivering his biggest ever gig.

And Springsteen.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We love to see it.

Plus his voice sounded in perfectly fine fettle.

Yep. I loved all the non Beatles stuff. A much better crafted gig than just a Beatles greatest hits set. 

Saw him in 03, 04, 09, 17 and 22 and he got better each time. 

A really special set, i loved it. Had prepared myself with listening to tracks that i wasn't familiar with before. However some of my group hadn't done that and were not so impressed, but fuh them! 

A real privilege to me there for that. Live and let die was absolutely insane! Just watched the whole set back and it was even better than i remembered! 

Watched him headline in 2004 and this was far superior. Fueled by a new found respect from the Get Back documentary that this chap held the greatest band ever together in the latter years and almost single handly drove those amazing songs that came out of that period, the majority of them his. 

Great memories.

Anyone else there notice the intro video quickly being cut short and restarted after running for 10 minutes when an overlay of a software name and "demo version" appeared over it? Absolutely pissed myself: one of the biggest festivals in the world, one of the biggest acts in the world, and someone rendered the intro video with an unlicensed version of the software then forgot to check it!

Macca himself was great of course but that gave me a chuckle.

Has overtaken Blur as my favourite gig. My 21 year old daughter came with us this year, she's a massive Beatles fan and we both burst in to tears and hugged the second can't buy me love started. I'm welling up now just thinking about it. We were about halfway between the sound desk and the right hand screen, the atmosphere round us was incredible. 

39 minutes ago, The Nal said:

What was the drama in the crowd he referred to?

Was just in front of us in the pit - couldn't see exactly but lots of people waving and pointing to someone - sounded like someone passed out. Stewards came in from the pit barrier and was all good I think.