Paul McCartney

Demarcation

Highlight of the weekend for me. Loved the set list, even without the surprise guests I would have. Actually enjoyed the Wings stuff probably most of all. Sang myself to a broken throat. 👌❤️

Wouldn't say I'm particularly a fan of McCartney's solo/Wings stuff and was mostly there for the Beatles back catalogue... and yet this set just completely blew me away. 

Even some of the newer songs & deeper cuts had me engaged and dancing along.  Then he played Blackbird.  Wow.  What an incredible privilege to see McCartney alone with his guitar performing such a delicate song so stunningly at the age of 80.  The set just got better from there without a single dull moment.  Something, Obi La Di, Mr Kite into the amazing duets and that final hour full of all the hits. 

If you can't appreciate what you saw there then that truly is your loss.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, jparx said:

Yeah totally agree. The set built perfectly. And even if you hate all the solo and Wings stuff, it really only made up the first 45 mins or so, hardly half the set like people are saying. Unless we’re now saying stuff like Blackbird and Love Me Do is a back of shite, which would be an even worse take.

There’s a weird trend now of people claiming a set is boring when they don’t play their biggest hits in the first 10 minutes. And especially with Macca, he’s been touring in this form for a long time and it doesn’t take much research to know roughly what he’s going to play.

I think it’s modern attention spans or something. Yes there’s an art to judging a festival setlist and it needs to skew more towards crowd pleasers. However big acts aren’t just going to bin their entire setlist that’s been filling stadiums. He had Beatles stuff dotted throughout the first half along with stuff from very high selling Wings albums and the new stuff. Second half was all crowd pleasers along with special guests that have also headlined Glastonbury and sell out stadiums.

Me and my Mrs' had the same reaction. Spent half our first date talking about Bruce. We bought each other Bruce records on our first Xmas together. He's a HUGE part of our relationship musically and haven't had the chance to see him thanks to Covid. 

We also had tickets for Foos next week after spending lockdown talking her into being a Foos fan. It totally fucked us up. 

My knees are we're swollen the next morning after having my 7yo lad on my shoulders for pretty much the whole 3 hours (plus the previous 2 days). I'd played him most songs from the expected setlist over the last few months and he was incredibly excited to be there. It was an amazing experience to have with him and it lived up to the hype, which is saying something. 

2 hours ago, ghandi said:

Really funny moment when going to the mens toilet right at the back. He started playing Love me do. Everyone in the queue and whilst doing their business singing along 😁

Ah, I was so disappointed that I was the only one in the block of long drops singing along to blackbird. Thought we'd get some good harmonies going 😂

32 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Ha! Spotted you at Nubya yest mate. Didnt get close enuff to say 'ello. Hope you and Kizz had a good weekend.

yeah, great time for me, kizz found it stressful and i made it hard work. i didnt get around as much as i wanted to.

Riding off site this morning listening to worthy fm and they read out a message from a guy who spent all day getting amped for Pauls set, so excited that he got himself in a shit state before it started and ending up falling asleep in a long drop, only to be woken at 5am by a seagull picking at his rucksack. 

• Thanks 1

We were going to give him 4 songs then head to Jamie T so stood at the back near the track. Stayed for the whole thing and would have been gutted to have missed it then heard about Dave and Bruce. Definitely one of those stand out Glasto moments. 

8F4B6AEC-E494-48F8-BA42-755CBF49B564.jpeg

Edited by wozwebs
Added photo

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

I think it’s modern attention spans or something. Yes there’s an art to judging a festival setlist and it needs to skew more towards crowd pleasers. However big acts aren’t just going to bin their entire setlist that’s been filling stadiums. He had Beatles stuff dotted throughout the first half along with stuff from very high selling Wings albums and the new stuff. Second half was all crowd pleasers along with special guests that have also headlined Glastonbury and sell out stadiums.

I was wondering if the attention span thing came into it too. People sack it off halfway through because the headliner isn't playing the stuff they're bound to be saving for the last half hour.

I forgave him everything (even Mr Kite, which I can't bear) apart from the inclusion of Fuh You. That's four minutes he could have been spending doing absolutely anything else. Another anecdote, anything.

McCartney's set... he lost the crowd near us quite a bit. The setlist I thought was strange. At least the order of it.

Not the fact that there were not big beatles tunes early - just the pace of it. I really like Let me Roll it, but its not too uplifting. The crowd needed a sing along.

Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five is great & I was well chuffed he did "I've just seen a face".

The pace & crowd clearly picked up at Lady Madonna. From then on things were just what the crowd needed.

If he'd have done We can work it out, Jet, She Loves you & Eleanor Rigby instead of 4 earlier tunes in the set - it would have been spot on for me.

Live & Let Die was my favourite moment of the full festival.

He gets an extra mark fir not doing Yesterday. I was buzzing thst he left that out.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Going to take a few days before I watch the set back, just got home about an hour ago and couldn’t even talk about it to my wife without getting emotional!

northing will ever beat that for me, had a great spot for him, everyone around me were loving it and singing along, and the duet with John just wrecked me!!

greatest night I’ve ever had watching music , feel so privileged to have been there

what a legend!

• Upvote 1

The most bewildering moment of the weekend was when Macca launched into 'someone's knocking at my door, somebody's ringing my bell'. Had no idea it was a Macca original. Thought it was a jingle specially written for those People's Postcode Lottery ads on daytime telly. Baffled. Spent the rest of the set wondering if he was going to do 'Autoglass repair, Autoglass replace' or 'Check-a-trader. com' as well.

• Upvote 3