Paul McCartney

Demarcation

Jumped back onto the forum coz watching macca again ( watched live on the iplayer sadly.... oh to have been there).

And...

Seen the guy with the amazing pyramid hat !!! Right at the front during 'and now the guys' bit in Hey Jude 🙂

Looked amazing....

(is it me or is the non live sound much better? much less compressed? I was a bit pished saturday.. so maybe just that 😄 )

[edit AH, @crazyfool1 . 2hrs 18 in..... ]

Edited by davefb

The sound feels pretty sturdy, I must say. 

Have had fingers crossed for a tour announcement today, in the back of this, for a few shows at the tail end of the year. McCartney the only significant outlier on the classic rock bucket list, and won't be in Britain next year either. 

Alas, one that may be gone now. Hope those there in the flesh relished it. 

I was prepared in advance for the nit-picking from people not there because of his voice but it immediately became apparent that that wasn’t a problem and not only was this not going to be an issue, but hold on, he’s knocked the ball out of the fucking park!

It’s always a privilege to be at Glastonbury, but to be in that particular field at that particular time was such an honour. For me, I can’t imagine anything topping that, whoever they get in the future 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I was prepared in advance for the nit-picking from people not there because of his voice but it immediately became apparent that that wasn’t a problem and not only was this not going to be an issue, but hold on, he’s knocked the ball out of the fucking park!

It’s always a privilege to be at Glastonbury, but to be in that particular field at that particular time was such an honour. For me, I can’t imagine anything topping that, whoever they get in the future 

Yeah, there’s a decent chance this might be my last Glastonbury, for a couple years at least, and what a a way to go out. It was the most pure joy I’ve felt in my life i think.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

The first hour included Can’t Buy Me Love, Got to Get You Into My Life, Let Me Roll It, Getting Better, Maybe I’m Amazed, Just Seen a Face and Love Me Do, but sure, it was dull 😂 

Where I was, everyone was into it all along, dancing, singing…

I’m sure we could all choose other songs of his we’d like to have seen included, but I thought the setlist worked very well, leading us steadily to that amazing second half.

Just now, henry bear said:

Where I was, everyone was into it all along, dancing, singing…

I’m sure we could all choose other songs of his we’d like to have seen included, but I thought the setlist worked very well, leading us steadily to that amazing second half.

I can't speak for those in the crowd, but found the BBC coverage giving the first hour-and-a-half something of a soporific edge, even though a lot of those Wings-era tracks are underrated, if not commercially mahoosive, gems.

Not sure many will ever mount a back-end quite like Get Back into I Saw Her Standing There into Band on the Run into I Wanna Be Your Man into Let It Be into Live and Let Die into Hey Jude ever again though. (And that's before you even throw in the fact he brought on Bruce Springsteen to do a Bruce Springsteen cover. As a Greasy Lake nut, that's an automatic pass to a good time.)

I loved it!

But I did feel for the Mrs and kids, who I thought I had now well trained in the Beatles hits, but in honesty he'd lost them a bit when he'd been playing for about 1hr 30 before he got to the longer run of them. 

That said, felt soooooo lucky to be in that field, in the presence of greatness. 80 years old and he has still got it. I hope one day they will look back and think they were lucky that their folks took them to see a Beatle at the greatest festival in the world. 🙂 

(I thought he could have thrown in Yesterday though!)

31 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Is it unfair to say his choice for the set list was appallingly poor ?

Diana Ross showed him how its done with her set list choices.  Extremely good mixture of banger after banger from her past and good choices from her new album.

It was terribly boring for at least an hour and slowly got better.   Most people accept this...

Talk of it being the best headliner ever is just utterly bizzar to me - not even close 😛   How can you produce something so dull for most your set and still be called incredible.  No one else would get away with it.

For context I agree he was amazing for 80, and he is an all time great - but as a show - only the last 45 mins I think was worthy of his stature.

She didn’t play for nearly 3 hours. Fwiw, I throughly enjoyed every second of it!

37 minutes ago, jparx said:

The first hour included Can’t Buy Me Love, Got to Get You Into My Life, Let Me Roll It, Getting Better, Maybe I’m Amazed, Just Seen a Face and Love Me Do, but sure, it was dull 😂 

Let Me Roll It is an absolute tune. So is Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five.

There were a couple of more recent tracks that could get in the sea but he played 2 tracks off Band on the Run which is a massive seller, and Let Em In which everyone seemed to know after it being on that advert. There was only 5 songs that could really be called obscure. The second half of the set is one for the ages. The emotion was quite something.

10 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Let Me Roll It is an absolute tune. So is Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five.

There were a couple of more recent tracks that could get in the sea but he played 2 tracks off Band on the Run which is a massive seller, and Let Em In which everyone seemed to know after it being on that advert. There was only 5 songs that could really be called obscure. The second half of the set is one for the ages. The emotion was quite something.

Yeah totally agree. The set built perfectly. And even if you hate all the solo and Wings stuff, it really only made up the first 45 mins or so, hardly half the set like people are saying. Unless we’re now saying stuff like Blackbird and Love Me Do is a back of shite, which would be an even worse take.

There’s a weird trend now of people claiming a set is boring when they don’t play their biggest hits in the first 10 minutes. And especially with Macca, he’s been touring in this form for a long time and it doesn’t take much research to know roughly what he’s going to play.

• Upvote 1

I liked the majority of the songs in the first half, but felt like the sequencing was off. Just as people were having a dance we’d get a slow one. Loved let me roll it and Here Today was special. And obviously the second half spoke for itself.

my only real gripe was the sound. Probably my positioning, just in from of the accessible seating, but it lacked punch and was quiet. The levels on certain guitars was off as well. Someone would do a solo and you couldn’t hear it, especially on the acoustic songs.

1 hour ago, davefb said:

Jumped back onto the forum coz watching macca again ( watched live on the iplayer sadly.... oh to have been there).

And...

Seen the guy with the amazing pyramid hat !!! Right at the front during 'and now the guys' bit in Hey Jude 🙂

Looked amazing....

(is it me or is the non live sound much better? much less compressed? I was a bit pished saturday.. so maybe just that 😄 )

[edit AH, @crazyfool1 . 2hrs 18 in..... ]

Will be watching this back when I get a few hours spare … personally thought the set took a small dip in the 3rd 3 quarters , but that might also be related to my energy levels at that point with after not really moving and having a 2kg pyramid on my head 😂 can’t knock him though pretty phenomenonal performance for a guy of his age … and he’s earnt the right to play whatever he chooses … 🤩🤩

It's fucking Paul McCartney, if anyone can get away with so many "deep cuts" in this slot it's him. He's had a phenomenal career and I can't blame him for wanting to highlight all of it, not just The Beatles. And anyway, even his so called "deep cuts" are still objectively more widely known songs than the biggest hit of 95% of the other bands in the festival lol.

The only thing that bugged me a bit is dropping Yesterday, but he's been doing that for a while now for whatever reason. Still it's a phenomenal set.

Edited by yaniv297

Saw a quote on Twitter that said he’s not his own tribute act which summed it up for me. He’s still making music now - with decent tunes in there too - so why should he only play stuff he recorded before 1970? Wings were massive with some classics in there, and of course he’s going to play some solo stuff (including Maybe I’m Amazed which is an absolute belter)

And his set lists on this tour have been pretty consistent so easy enough to check out before what he’d play to get more familiar if that’s what bothered people

We are really spoiled with McCartney. He’s genuinely in his own league and you can’t compare him to anyone, so you end up comparing his songs to each other - debating whether a song like Yesterday is better than Blackbird when they are both amazing tunes that could be the highlight of any other artists’ set. 

An 80 year old man ripping out Helter Skelter after 2 1/2 hours on stage was fucking EPIC

Not ashamed to say I cried during Golden Slumbers. Will feel privileged to have been in that field for the rest of my life. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 9

Just watched McCartney back and it’s class throughout.

He’s telling the story of himself and the Beatles, Liverpool, brings out two other superstars in there own right, plays 39 songs (I think) and gave us all the time of our lives at the most iconic stage in music. 

All the while being 80, playing multiple instruments and playing the latest set in the history of Glastonbury. 

Incredible and one of a kind, that is the best around.

Read once that some scientists think there is a human living today who will live to a 1000 years, if there is I hope it’s him as he was incredible and I would love my kids to get a chance to witness him live. 

That was the best I’ve seen in 15 years at Glastonbury and it was a total privilege to be there to witness one of if not the greatest of all time. 

• Upvote 4

I loved it! I didn’t know many of the tracks from the first half but could still enjoy the musicianship.

Was in the middle between the sound and lighting tents and I think it was the best sounding set I have heard. The pyramids sound has come a long was since I was last there in 2015.

Still trying to process what I saw on Saturday. 

Got into the pit after AJ Tracey and managed to get 3 rows back, centre stage. Legs were absolutely fucked at the end of it all! Crowd around me ranged from ages 16-70 - all were great people to be around and belted out every word.

I absolutely loved his attitude towards his song choices. He’s still writing and releasing music - why shouldn’t he put newer stuff in his setlists?

Some folk had raised doubts about his voice, but he sounded fucking amazing in the field. Cried when he played Blackbird (couldn’t quite believe he was literally feet away from me). Cried again during Let It Be. 

Home now and feeling emotional. Really don’t think I’ve got it in me to watch the recording yet, will be in absolute bits.

The greatest thing I’ve ever seen in my life. Aside from Mozart reforming, I don’t think it will ever be topped.