Paul McCartney

Demarcation

I get if you don't like his stuff you'll be elsewhere. I fully understand that if you find him annoying you'll be someplace different. I get if you just don't like it, you'll be nowhere near. But if your reason for not being at the Pyramid next Saturday is his voice has gone... have a word.

I''ve een spinning Beatles records all day as just buzzing it is a week until I see him again. I'm planning on seeing Big Thief then heading straight down, I reckon I can still get a a decent spot arriving during Noel? I am willing to sacrifice the pit but in front of mixing desk area would do fine but will wait and see.

Not going to lie, I was ambivalent about Macca's appearance when he was announced. Since the line-up schedule was announced I had finally resolved that Paul would be my saturday night. Once I heard about the I've Got a Feeling duet I was ALL IN, what a fantastic song that is. I cannot recommend the Get Back doc on Disney + highly enough if you need any proof of Paul's genius in orchestrating The Beatles sound, an artist at the top of his game.

The recent set lists (and the litany of songs that have been omitted) are testament to the incredible body of work that he has produced over the last SIX decades! In a year where I seem to have so many options as to where to be, it's finally nice to have some clarity on the highlight of my 2022 festival experience. 

There is no other place I will be other than in front of The Pyramid watching him next week. I grew up listening to stories of how my mum would skip school to go to The Cavern. She ended up with a broken ankle in the stampede when they returned home to Liverpool Airport - she lost a shoe and my nan went a bit nuts! Nevermind the ankle - she was fuming about the shoe 🤣 

I grew up with them being the soundtrack to our Saturday morning cleaning sessions. My mum died unexpectedly just over 5 weeks ago now. I carried her coffin in to the Crematorium to 'In My Life'.  It's been hit and miss whether I would go to Glastonbury this year - she would defintely have been at home watching on the TV though to see it she could spot me in the crowd

I'll be there, regardless of whether his voice is shot to shit - the man is part of history and defined a generation

.... and my Ma will bloody haunt me for all eternity if I didn't go ❤

Edited by Digi
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 8

10 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I get if you don't like his stuff you'll be elsewhere. I fully understand that if you find him annoying you'll be someplace different. I get if you just don't like it, you'll be nowhere near. But if your reason for not being at the Pyramid next Saturday is his voice has gone... have a word.

His voice isnt gone. Its weaker sure. But hes 80. 

And his pipes are prerrty special here for a man that age

From 4 mins 30. Double flare time.

31 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’ve never seen Macca. I’ve kind of help off in the hope he’d do my favourite festival on my favourite stage. I’m gonna be with my favourite people and I think it’s gonna be something I look back fondly on for the rest of my life. I can’t wait. 

Same boat. Tried various times over the years for tickets and, for one reason or another, it hasn't happened.

Side note - wonder if he will announce any other UK dates off the back of this, or is that gonna be it?... I'd love to take my old man to see him but the clock is ticking

38 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Same boat. Tried various times over the years for tickets and, for one reason or another, it hasn't happened.

Side note - wonder if he will announce any other UK dates off the back of this, or is that gonna be it?... I'd love to take my old man to see him but the clock is ticking

Getting a bit late to announce another run of shows this summer isn’t it? He could do a winter arena tour I suppose. Selfishly I quite like that this is his only uk show so far. Adds that bit extra to it!

Edited by jparx

6 hours ago, Digi said:

There is no other place I will be other than in front of The Pyramid watching him next week. I grew up listening to stories of how my mum would skip school to go to The Cavern. She ended up with a broken ankle in the stampede when they returned home to Liverpool Airport - she lost a shoe and my nan went a bit nuts! Nevermind the ankle - she was fuming about the shoe 🤣 

I grew up with them being the soundtrack to our Saturday morning cleaning sessions. My mum died unexpectedly just over 5 weeks ago now. I carried her coffin in to the Crematorium to 'In My Life'.  It's been hit and miss whether I would go to Glastonbury this year - she would defintely have been at home watching on the TV though to see it she could spot me in the crowd

I'll be there, regardless of whether his voice is shot to shit - the man is part of history and defined a generation

.... and my Ma will bloody haunt me for all eternity if I didn't go ❤

My Aunt Judy from York used to run a pub where they would play.

Got all 4 autographs on the same piece of paper.

Gave it away to their next door neighbour when they moved (about 1975)

Never quite forgiven her.

6 minutes ago, BlackZeppelin said:

My mother in law had quite a collection of Beatles records, many of which were signed.  Mysteriously after she passed away they were nowhere to be found and we never worked out which relative somehow swooped in and stole them.  The collection include a numbered copy of the White album with all 4 signatures.

9 minutes ago, BlackZeppelin said:

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

My mother in law had quite a collection of Beatles records, many of which were signed.  Mysteriously after she passed away they were nowhere to be found and we never worked out which relative somehow swooped in and stole them.  The collection include a numbered copy of the White album with all 4 signatures.

I wished I had listened more closely over the years. Mum had so many great stories about growing up and music in Liverpool throughout the 60s. She had a great record collection too - absolutely NO idea where any of it is though. I suspect she possibly charity shopped the lot when CDs were invented and once iTunes and Spotify became a thing, those were all sent to the charity shop too 🤦‍♀️

Over the last few years I swear Alexa was defintely the best thing my mum had ever seen 🤣

19 minutes ago, Digi said:

I wished I had listened more closely over the years. Mum had so many great stories about growing up and music in Liverpool throughout the 60s. She had a great record collection too - absolutely NO idea where any of it is though. I suspect she possibly charity shopped the lot when CDs were invented and once iTunes and Spotify became a thing, those were all sent to the charity shop too 🤦‍♀️

Over the last few years I swear Alexa was defintely the best thing my mum had ever seen 🤣

Oof a load of first pressings gone to some other jabroni for free! 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Oof a load of first pressings gone to some other jabroni for free! 

Definitely 😳 I would have been around 13ish at the time I reckon when the vinyl would have gone. A few years older and I might have recognised its importance 

Best of it is - she totally indulged my vinyl habit over the years 🤣

On 6/13/2022 at 4:04 PM, gigpusher said:

Levs are your favourite band so I totally get that. It always amazes me that someone I know missed seeing Stevie Wonder to go and watch Orbital just because that's what all her group were doing and Stevie Wonder is her favourite artist of all time and to this day she has never managed to see him. That I find crazy. I would absolutely go and do my own thing to see my favourite ever act (especially if it cost a lot to see them normally) 

Still, I finally saw that Orbital set from 2010 a couple of years ago. It was absolutely fantastic!

Your point stands though 😁

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

Surely the relative who suddenly bought themselves a flash car about 6 months after she passed on.

Has anyone got access to a copy of the Daily Express saw on the BBC their front page has a headline "Why Macca's going back to his greatest hits", can anyone find that (I can't!) /have a copy nearby to see if its about Glastonbury?

I've got it search just does not work https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1628023/paul-mccartney-beatles-performance-greatest-hits quote from Stella basically, sounds promising but I wanted Junior's Farm! (I'll manage if we get Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby and The Long and Winding Road though!)

Edited by Ashl
Found it!

1 hour ago, Ashl said:

Has anyone got access to a copy of the Daily Express saw on the BBC their front page has a headline "Why Macca's going back to his greatest hits", can anyone find that (I can't!) /have a copy nearby to see if its about Glastonbury?

I've got it search just does not work https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1628023/paul-mccartney-beatles-performance-greatest-hits quote from Stella basically, sounds promising but I wanted Junior's Farm! (I'll manage if we get Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby and The Long and Winding Road though!)

Make that Mary not Stella!

Paul's letting people make up their dream setlist.

I doubt that anything like this will impact his setlist for Saturday night so late in the game, but if enough of us put Temporary Secretary at the top of our list he's going to notice the people want it and play it isn't he?

iss.jpg

Edited by rgill3
  • Like 1