Paul McCartney

Demarcation

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Or it's not very good.

It's a simple song, but if Macca played Mull of Kintyre I would gleefully regress to the 7 year old kid that I was when it hit the top of the charts, remaining there for most of my childhood. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, clarkete said:

"At LA’s SoFi Stadium, the 79-year-old breathes fresh life into the classic tunes that established him as the planet’s greatest living songwriter" 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/paul-mccartney-live-review-beatles-b2079207.html?amp

A nice article. I am really torn right now. My mind is saying that PC is surely too old to be able to carry this off as i've been told he can't sing anymore, my mate is telling me, ' come on when will you ever have the chance to see a Beatle'. He is a fan of course. As a 60 year old i have been brought up with the Beatles around me in my early years. Was a big fan of the Rubber Soul and Revolver albums but always leant towards Zeppelin and Genesis ( early years) when Wings came about. I am sure it will be a great occasion and after a few drinks the size of the crowd all singing along to hey jude and let it be might be more awesome than watching it in the acoustic with the Bootlegs or in a bar in Liverpool.

2 hours ago, ghandi said:

A nice article. I am really torn right now. My mind is saying that PC is surely too old to be able to carry this off as i've been told he can't sing anymore, my mate is telling me, ' come on when will you ever have the chance to see a Beatle'. He is a fan of course. As a 60 year old i have been brought up with the Beatles around me in my early years. Was a big fan of the Rubber Soul and Revolver albums but always leant towards Zeppelin and Genesis ( early years) when Wings came about. I am sure it will be a great occasion and after a few drinks the size of the crowd all singing along to hey jude and let it be might be more awesome than watching it in the acoustic with the Bootlegs or in a bar in Liverpool.

Yeah, they do cover the voice aspect too of course "and his performance is so joyous that nobody cares that his voice can no longer reach all the high notes." 

22 hours ago, clarkete said:

Yeah, they do cover the voice aspect too of course "and his performance is so joyous that nobody cares that his voice can no longer reach all the high notes." 

Yes. The prospect of seeing arguably the greatest of all rock musicians headline our favourite place in the twilight of his career fills me with such joy and excitement. I expect 100k other people to feel the same way, sharing in the live glory of an unsurpassed songbook, and making it a simply unmissable event. How could anyone go anywhere else?

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I never really buy into the argument, "oh his/her voice has gone".

For me it's always about the original person singing his/her original songs, watching a legend deliver a performance to the best of their ability, knowing that you might never have that chance to see that person again.

Sure, his voice might not be as strong as it was when he was 30, but that's just one fraction of the whole event. The atmosphere, the chat between songs, the singalongs, the fact that you're watching someone who has brought so much joy to the world through their music. If you want pitch perfect songs - of any performer - then go listen to a CD on surround sound. And I'm not even a Beatles fan really. Other singers don't necessarily sound great live compared to their studio cuts.

Paul McCartney will be great, just like Dolly and Barry Gibb were, and Diana Ross will be on Sunday afternoon. 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, plaskins said:

Yeah, Adele reject probably. He makes no bones or has no shame about his "army" of songwriters at least 🤣

Indeed which I fully respect. Nothing wrong with having songwriters just be honest about it and acknowledge and thank them which he does. Unlike so many others. 

12 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I never really buy into the argument, "oh his/her voice has gone".

For me it's always about the original person singing his/her original songs, watching a legend deliver a performance to the best of their ability, knowing that you might never have that chance to see that person again.

Sure, his voice might not be as strong as it was when he was 30, but that's just one fraction of the whole event. The atmosphere, the chat between songs, the singalongs, the fact that you're watching someone who has brought so much joy to the world through their music. If you want pitch perfect songs - of any performer - then go listen to a CD on surround sound. And I'm not even a Beatles fan really. Other singers don't necessarily sound great live compared to their studio cuts.

Paul McCartney will be great, just like Dolly and Barry Gibb were, and Diana Ross will be on Sunday afternoon. 

Absolutely.  When you've got 100,000 people on backing vocals no-one will care if he's note perfect.  Sure, people who aren't there watching at home will be texting you to tell you how rough it is but you'll be having the time of your life and not give a single shit.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

Absolutely.  When you've got 100,000 people on backing vocals no-one will care if he's note perfect.  Sure, people who aren't there watching at home will be texting you to tell you how rough it is but you'll be having the time of your life and not give a single shit.

Exactly. I think most people would agree and he'll have the biggest crowd of the festival. He'd certainly be my headliner and that's as a lukewarm-Beatles fan, but in terms of musical legacy, fun, and back catalogue, he's the best choice by a country mile out of everyone else.